The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy 2018 entry

Hi there. I'm currently doing my access course as a mature student ;31 years old) hoping to do speech and language therapy at Manchester university or Manchester met. Is anyone else looking to do the same. I

Support team edit: Please do not discuss specific interview questions. By all means discuss general interview tips and experience though :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am doing the same, hoping to get into Leeds or Newcastle. How are you getting on in your access course?
Reply 2
Original post by eastojo
I am doing the same, hoping to get into Leeds or Newcastle. How are you getting on in your access course?

I’m doing ok. Just started the macromolecules unit. Doing the access to health professions course. It’s so full on but I’m enjoying it. How about you? Good luck with your applications
Reply 3
I am doing the same course, and just started with science too. I’m really enjoying the it so far.
Have you managed to get any work experience or volunteering roles etc? Have you completed your ucas application yet?
Good luck to you too x
Reply 4
Original post by eastojo
I am doing the same course, and just started with science too. I’m really enjoying the it so far.
Have you managed to get any work experience or volunteering roles etc? Have you completed your ucas application yet?
Good luck to you too x

Yeah I have and I have an interview at Manchester met on the 22nd of this month and then one at the University of Manchester on the 6th December.
I’m going to be shadowing a SLT tomorrow.
I work in a pharmacy and I’m also a qualified teaching assistant so I’m hoping I can relate them to the course somehow.

This whole process is so daunting x
Reply 5
Original post by Samowen86
Yeah I have and I have an interview at Manchester met on the 22nd of this month and then one at the University of Manchester on the 6th December.
I’m going to be shadowing a SLT tomorrow.
I work in a pharmacy and I’m also a qualified teaching assistant so I’m hoping I can relate them to the course somehow.

This whole process is so daunting x

Wow that’s amazing! Well done!! I’m just in the process of completing my application form! I’ll be very happy if I get an interview!!
sounds like you have many of the qualities and the experience!!
I’m struggling to find any shadowing.. I have shadowed with the stroke association but not managed to get in anywhere with an actual SLT. I’m praying I have enough to get me through the process though!!
It is very daunting isn’t it! But hopefully this time next year we might be on the course giving out advice to others in our current situation!? 🤞
Reply 6
Original post by eastojo
Wow that’s amazing! Well done!! I’m just in the process of completing my application form! I’ll be very happy if I get an interview!!
I’m struggling to find any shadowing.. I have shadowed with the stroke association but not managed to get in anywhere with an actual SLT. I’m praying I have enough to get me through the process though!!
It is very daunting isn’t it! But hopefully this time next year we might be on the course giving out advice to others in our current situation!? 🤞

I hope so. I fell really lucky with my shadowing as the SLT is a friend of my cousins.

I am trying to find somewhere where I can get experience with adults as most of my experience is with children.

I’m sure the experience with the stroke association will be really relevant.

I’ve only applied to the two university’s so I’m glad I’ll have gone through the interviews this side of Christmas as we have exams in January x
Hello, I've applied for slt for next year (absolutely bricking it!!!) and I've got interviews at MMU, DMU, Leeds Beckett and Birmingham city. I've also applied for Ulster. Any advice re interviews because I'm absolutely terrified and am not really sure what to expect, thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by string-of-lights
Hello, I've applied for slt for next year (absolutely bricking it!!!) and I've got interviews at MMU, DMU, Leeds Beckett and Birmingham city. I've also applied for Ulster. Any advice re interviews because I'm absolutely terrified and am not really sure what to expect, thanks

I’ve not had an interview yet. My first on is at MMU on the 22nd, when is yours?
Original post by eastojo

I'm so scared! I have an interview at manchester on the 6th and it said on the interview details that 'they expect you to have experience with children or adults who have speech or swallowing difficulties' and I have none! I don't know what I'm going to do!! I'm absolutely terrified.
Original post by string-of-lights

I've got one for De Montfort too! The 29th :smile: I'm really scared too, i'm terrible at interviews and don't really have any experience with people with speech/swallowing difficulties so not sure what I'm going to talk about :/
So the university I'm applying to says they expect us to have experience with children or adults with speech difficulties. I have absolutely none so I have no idea what I'm going to say when they ask me! I'm absolutely terrified now, has anyone else made it through without experience?
Reply 12
Original post by AutumnSummers
I'm so scared! I have an interview at manchester on the 6th and it said on the interview details that 'they expect you to have experience with children or adults who have speech or swallowing difficulties' and I have none! I don't know what I'm going to do!! I'm absolutely terrified.

Really?? Have you applied to any other uni’s? I’m sure you will be fine! Surely they can’t expect everyone to have experience!??
Good luck in your interview!! let us know how you get on! Xx
Original post by eastojo
Really?? Have you applied to any other uni’s? I’m sure you will be fine! Surely they can’t expect everyone to have experience!??
Good luck in your interview!! let us know how you get on! Xx

Right! I have tried getting experience so many times everywhere I can think of but it's really really hard if you don't have connections! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be honest :/

Yes I have! I've also applied to Birmingham City, De Montfort, East Anglia and Reading :smile: It's going to be so stressful going to all of the interviews (if i do get them).
Reply 14
Its very hard isn’t it! I managed to shadow a stroke association support group.. but haven’t managed to do anything else! I’m doing an access course 3 nights a week, I work and have a son! I just can’t fit much else in at the moment!!
I have everything crossed for you!! I haven’t sent my application off yet! I’m hoping to send it this weekend!
I suppose it will be good experience to go to as many interviews as you can! I just hope i get one!!! 🤞
Reply 15
Original post by AutumnSummers

I also have an interview on the 6th at Manchester so might see you there. I’ll probally be the one shaking like a leaf outside
Reply 16
Good luck everyone. Don't worry about how much you know. They're looking for potential for the undergraduate course, not the finished article or even the half finished article. We find out on placement how little we actually know even when we've graduated. Until you see things day in day out it's almost impossible to appreciate fully what the role of an SLT is.
All that said, though, the key qualities they're looking for match closely the competencies they expect to see in a fully qualified SLT. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate those.
Have a look at band five person specifications if you like and try to think of examples where you've done something that demonstrates that quality or skill. That's as good a way as any to prepare for the interviews. Particularly where they run multiple mini interviews each question is targeting a specific thing from those competencies. So make sure you can think of specific and discrete examples for each. Best way you can prepare.

But don't try to sell yourself as knowing it all. I tell my past version of me: you know nothing! Because I really didn't. I knew just enough to know that it interested me and had just enough life experiences to know that I would probably manage certain aspects of the job and the course okay. And that was enough.

Don't underestimate it, definitely, and do try to reflect on how language and swallowing difficulties affect people's lives. Food and conversation are two of the things that make life most enjoyable. It can't be too hard to realise how your quality of life would be diminished if you lost or never had one or both! If it is hard, you're probably applying for the wrong course!
Reply 17
Original post by eastojo
Its very hard isn’t it! I managed to shadow a stroke association support group.. but haven’t managed to do anything else! I’m doing an access course 3 nights a week, I work and have a son! I just can’t fit much else in at the moment!!
I have everything crossed for you!! I haven’t sent my application off yet! I’m hoping to send it this weekend!
I suppose it will be good experience to go to as many interviews as you can! I just hope i get one!!! 🤞

I know how you feel. My access course is three full days, then I work another three full days and have a nine year old daughter (and a partner who doesn’t seem to know how to load the washing machine) 😂😂

I was surprised how quickly I got invited to interview after submitting my UCAS.
Xx
Reply 18
By the way, Manchester doesn't require that experience. They just encourage you to talk about it if you have. There's plenty else they're interested in besides that.
Reply 19
Original post by giella
Good luck everyone. Don't worry about how much you know. They're looking for potential for the undergraduate course, not the finished article or even the half finished article. We find out on placement how little we actually know even when we've graduated. Until you see things day in day out it's almost impossible to appreciate fully what the role of an SLT is.
All that said, though, the key qualities they're looking for match closely the competencies they expect to see in a fully qualified SLT. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate those.
Have a look at band five person specifications if you like and try to think of examples where you've done something that demonstrates that quality or skill. That's as good a way as any to prepare for the interviews. Particularly where they run multiple mini interviews each question is targeting a specific thing from those competencies. So make sure you can think of specific and discrete examples for each. Best way you can prepare.

But don't try to sell yourself as knowing it all. I tell my past version of me: you know nothing! Because I really didn't. I knew just enough to know that it interested me and had just enough life experiences to know that I would probably manage certain aspects of the job and the course okay. And that was enough.

Don't underestimate it, definitely, and do try to reflect on how language and swallowing difficulties affect people's lives. Food and conversation are two of the things that make life most enjoyable. It can't be too hard to realise how your quality of life would be diminished if you lost or never had one or both! If it is hard, you're probably applying for the wrong course!

Ahh thank you for this. I’ve been going over what I think they could ask but then I don’t want to come acsoss as overly rehearsed if that make sense.
I’ve been working in an NHS pharmacy for a number of years so I’m hoping I can pull on experiences from that such as showing compassion and adapting communication.
I’ve also worked in schools so that should come in handy.

Quick Reply

Latest