The Student Room Group

4th a level or EPQ for medicine

I know that this question may have been posted lots before but I know things have changed and especially for me as my school is no longer doing as levels. I'm y11, wanting to study medicine, just choosing a levels and wanting to definitely do maths biology and chemistry and wasn't sure if it was better to take further maths as well or an EPQ. My head teacher says 4 a levels is always better but careers advisor says EPQ. Wasn't sure if anyone had been in the same situation as or anyone who could help me. Thanks
Tbh, Further Maths isn't exactly a necessity for Medicine, so I'd advise you to not take FM half-heartedly, it will be punishing if you don't take it with a pre-determined passion for Maths, take it if you're feeling very competent now and really have a deep appreciation for Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by AryanGh
Tbh, Further Maths isn't exactly a necessity for Medicine, so I'd advise you to not take FM half-heartedly, it will be punishing if you don't take it with a pre-determined passion for Maths, take it if you're feeling very competent now and really have a deep appreciation for Maths.

Yeah I was just considering it because I wasnt sure if having 4 a levels would set me ahead in my uni application. Also I just got 100% in my mock gcse maths so thought it might be ok but really not sure
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yazzy-h
I know that this question may have been posted lots before but I know things have changed and especially for me as my school is no longer doing as levels. I'm y11, wanting to study medicine, just choosing a levels and wanting to definitely do maths biology and chemistry and wasn't sure if it was better to take further maths as well or an EPQ. My head teacher says 4 a levels is always better but careers advisor says EPQ. Wasn't sure if anyone had been in the same situation as or anyone who could help me. Thanks

Honestly, a 4th A Level won't benefit you- even Cambridge have said they'd rather you focused on getting high grades in 3. Even though many courses don't specifically include an EPQ in your offer, it can be helpful as it shows you've expanded your interests in medicine beyond just the things you study in biology. It also gives you a topic that you can discuss in depth at interview and beyond that it helps you to develop your independent study skills which will be useful at university. Unless you are insanely passionate about FM and you want to work in a very maths based area of medicine (though I don't know what that would be) I wouldn't recommend taking it as a 4th A Level, especially if you're aiming for top grades.
Reply 4
Original post by JennLousie
Honestly, a 4th A Level won't benefit you- even Cambridge have said they'd rather you focused on getting high grades in 3. Even though many courses don't specifically include an EPQ in your offer, it can be helpful as it shows you've expanded your interests in medicine beyond just the things you study in biology. It also gives you a topic that you can discuss in depth at interview and beyond that it helps you to develop your independent study skills which will be useful at university. Unless you are insanely passionate about FM and you want to work in a very maths based area of medicine (though I don't know what that would be) I wouldn't recommend taking it as a 4th A Level, especially if you're aiming for top grades.

Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure because even though Cambridge say they only want 3 a levels,there average entry tariff is much higher so didn't want to be at a disadvantage.
Original post by yazzy-h
Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure because even though Cambridge say they only want 3 a levels,there average entry tariff is much higher so didn't want to be at a disadvantage.

When I visited they said that they don't show a preference to people with more than 3 A Levels. Really you should focus on scoring the highest possible in all exams as they take that into account more than other medical schools (they used to ask for module scores however I'm not sure how it applies to the new system as I didn't apply there and I don't think linear A Levels have UMS really)
Reply 6
Original post by JennLousie
When I visited they said that they don't show a preference to people with more than 3 A Levels. Really you should focus on scoring the highest possible in all exams as they take that into account more than other medical schools (they used to ask for module scores however I'm not sure how it applies to the new system as I didn't apply there and I don't think linear A Levels have UMS really)

Ok that's useful to know thank you
Original post by yazzy-h

Hi there!

Offers for med schools are based on 3 A-Levels, so it's not necessary to do Further Maths as fourth - it may be better to choose the EPQ to explore aspects of medicine that interest you!

You can also see different med school A-Level requirements on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 8
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

Offers for med schools are based on 3 A-Levels, so it's not necessary to do Further Maths as fourth - it may be better to choose the EPQ to explore aspects of medicine that interest you!

You can also see different med school A-Level requirements on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest