The Student Room Group

Split the bill equally or just pay for what you've eaten?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
£10...
The idea, for me, is to do anything necessary to avoid discussions.

I prefer splitting because I don't think it's elegant to do calculations on a bill after a dinner. However, if I've actually spent more I'll offer to pay my fair share. In general, I estimate approximately how much more I've spent and end up paying 10,20 or 30 more to cover it. If one doesn't drink the wine I think it's alright to take it into account, especially if it was expensive.
I usually pay the entire bill (credit card) only to secretly hope the gang pays back in time. The ones who fail to doesn't get the same opportunity to dine with me ever again. It's a good test to gauge who isn't a cheapskate.
Original post by SophieSmall
Lol, what a mess. That was proper awkward. That's why you look at prices before ordering.

I do however agree with him that you don't "have" to tip. We pay servers minimum wage in this country. I don't really understand why we'd tip someone in a restaurant but not at say McDonald for example. They're both being paid by the hour. I just find it an odd concept.

I find tipping ridiculous too. What about working in a clothing store? You serve the customer there too, offering things, waiting around and giving advise, folding up behind them etc. So why do you tip waiters but not them?
It depends what the difference is. If they ordered a meal which happened to be £2 more or something else small then I would just split it down the middle. I also have a friend who always drives when we go somewhere but tends to go for more expensive menu items, I split as a contribution to petrol.

However if they had a significantly more expensive meal or ordered a load of wine then no way am I going to pay for that.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Err, well yeah.

In general, when you're with friends, if you can't afford to just have what you want and split the bill then go somewhere cheaper. Don't get your calculator out at the end of the meal. It looks tightfisted and kind of kills any sense of a relaxing evening if you have to stop what you're doing to be an accountant for five minutes when the bill comes.

It's not that easy. Plenty of friendship groups have people with varying levels of disposable income. That can often mean people compromise on where they go to eat and there can be one or two for whom it's a bit pricey who will say to themselves 'it's OK, I'll just get a main and soft drink' because they want to see their friends and spend time together. And just because someone is an adult doesn't mean they have unlimited money.

And splitting the bill shouldn't be an ordeal if people are reasonable and fair, you pass the bill round quickly and people approximate what they ordered and chuck it in. The problems come when someone decides to be a cheapskate and round down so the total ends up short. But really it's not hard to look at a receipt and quickly go 'pizza 12 drink 3 drink 3 dessert 5 so I owe about 25' and put it in while everyone continues to chat. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the evening - what would ruin my evening is watching my friends ordering loads of drinks and worrying that I was going to be expected to pay towards them at the end.
I don't have time to "split it evenly" doing long division at the bloody table, money all over the table, stacking fivers with fivers over here and tenners with tenners over there and sliding coins and spare change around to make the exact amount??? Who does that? No one who actually has an active dating life would do that, a lot of people just project what they THINK they'd do on a date. In reality...no one "splits" ****. No one.

It's normally one person who pays for it ALL. And with a CARD. So you can't split it...

OR you pay for your ****, he/she pays for theirs. Wtf is the debate?
Being the poor student that I am I often, when eating out with my buddies, chose the cheapest item on the menu. I also am not a big drinker so I'll get a coke or something like that. I've been in situations where what I've ordered comes to a tenner but I end up paying thirty quid because I'm supplementing others food and more importantly (and expensively) their drinks. When I worked full time (I'm a mature student) I just split the bill cause I ordered what I wanted and so I didn't mind. But I only did this after asking the rest of the table what they wanted to do. It's not cheap it's knowing what you can afford and hoping your mates are actually proper mates and they know you can't afford it. Why should someone who can't afford to split the bill equally miss out because they have extra expenses? Just ask people what they want to do and chose the option that facilitates the poorest guest....we've all been there...well, some anyway 🙄 I'm not sure those who say "I put it all on my credit card" have been in this position...oh the lucky ones.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I don't have time to "split it evenly" doing long division at the bloody table, money all over the table, stacking fivers with fivers over here and tenners with tenners over there and sliding coins and spare change around to make the exact amount??? Who does that? No one who actually has an active dating life would do that, a lot of people just project what they THINK they'd do on a date. In reality...no one "splits" ****. No one.

If you actually read through the thread, no-one is talking about what they do on dates. That's a whole different thing.

edit: And there really isn't money over the place or 'long division' if you split the bill evenly. It gets as complicated as, there are four of us and the bill is £108, let's call it 30 each and there's a tip in it. That's literally all that's needed.

Original post by doodle_333
It's not that easy. Plenty of friendship groups have people with varying levels of disposable income. That can often mean people compromise on where they go to eat and there can be one or two for whom it's a bit pricey who will say to themselves 'it's OK, I'll just get a main and soft drink' because they want to see their friends and spend time together. And just because someone is an adult doesn't mean they have unlimited money.

And splitting the bill shouldn't be an ordeal if people are reasonable and fair, you pass the bill round quickly and people approximate what they ordered and chuck it in. The problems come when someone decides to be a cheapskate and round down so the total ends up short. But really it's not hard to look at a receipt and quickly go 'pizza 12 drink 3 drink 3 dessert 5 so I owe about 25' and put it in while everyone continues to chat. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the evening - what would ruin my evening is watching my friends ordering loads of drinks and worrying that I was going to be expected to pay towards them at the end.

Tbh it would be reasonable for the higher disposable income friends to make adjustments to where they're going in that case. Personally I'd feel pretty bad if I were sat there ordering all sorts of food and drinks and I was aware that others present couldn't afford it. I'd probably either not order extras myself, or just end up sharing my stuff.

And actually in general I think there's something of an expectation that you keep your consumption vaguely in proportion to everyone else's. Like if people are just having one course and a soft drink you don't make everyone sit there and watch you have four courses, wine, coffees, and digestifs. You're just not meant to do that. On the other hand if it's just you not joining in with a lot of what others are having I already said I wouldn't expect a full share from you, that's just unreasonable.

I guess what's important is just that you're all on the same page, but still if I personally went out with working, adult friends, had similar meals, and one insisted on getting his calculator out I would find that kind of annoying.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you actually read through the thread, no-one is talking about what they do on dates. That's a whole different thing.

edit: And there really isn't money over the place or 'long division' if you split the bill evenly. It gets as complicated as, there are four of us and the bill is £108, let's call it 30 each and there's a tip in it. That's literally all that's needed.

What? That's ridiculous. Someone should just man up and foot the damn bill.

Reminds me of when this lot couldn't pay for a stripper:

And no I didn't read the thread. I read the title and poll and I'm answering it. Couldn't give a **** about what other people have to say. My opinion is my own, not based on what the posts so far in the thread say???
What? That's ridiculous. Someone should just man up and foot the damn bill.

lol okay but just so you know everyone apart from you generally divides it up in some way, unless perhaps the amount of money in question is totally irrelevant to you.
lol okay but just so you know everyone apart from you generally divides it up in some way, unless perhaps the amount of money in question is totally irrelevant to you.

LMAO what do you mean "everyone?" Three pages of tsrians who have never even been on dates before or out with mates? In *reality* people don't do that! Because it's pathetic. Seriously. Pay for your food or one person pays for everyone's. Is the most common and logical simplest way. Couldn't give a piss about what people on here think they know and spiel in threads lmao. Nice source though?

And first of all (and lastly, cos I'm not gonna continue this anymore) why did you even quote me bruh? It's my opinion, and about something...not even that deep. Jog on. :kiss:.
Reply 52
i've been out for a few meals like this where nobody pays for their own meal individually but at the end the bill is split evenly between everyone that has eaten.....

I remember the first time, not having an extra glass of juice or desert because i wanted to keep the cost down for my bill, i remember one or two people have 2 or 3 glasses of extra wine ...etc

then the bill came, and only then after seeing how much i had to pay did it dawn on me that i'm actually paying like 25% more due to other people's extra indulgences.....

I wasn't too thrilled, but never made a fuss and just paid it...

but next time I went, I made sure to have that extra glass of juice and desert. No point me going all light with the menu if i'm going to paying for other people's meals.......
Should only have to pay forwhat youve eaten, but its nice to just split it when you can (if youve spent less).
LMAO what do you mean "everyone?" Three pages of tsrians who have never even been on dates before or out with mates? In *reality* people don't do that! Because it's pathetic. Seriously. Pay for your food or one person pays for everyone's. Is the most common and logical simplest way. Couldn't give a piss about what people on here think they know and spiel in threads lmao. Nice source though?

And first of all (and lastly, cos I'm not gonna continue this anymore) why did you even quote me bruh? It's my opinion, and about something...not even that deep. Jog on. :kiss:.

I quoted you to correct you because you're wrong :dontknow:

Literally the rest of society does that. Err, yeah, bruh, init.
Right last one:

let's point this out. Bare facts in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
most people on here nowadays are under 18s. So of course their ideal poll option is to split the bill. Cos they're children, and don't have money. :indiff:. Adults don't sit around splitting bills. That's embarrassing. Start working and go out with colleagues at a meeting over lunch, normally one person pays because that's an admirable and professional gesture, or everyone pays their own way. Because you're an adult.

Reply 56
Start working and go out with colleagues at a meeting over lunch, normally one person pays because that's an admirable and professional gesture, or everyone pays their own way. Because you're an adult.

Pretty much this. We will usually take it in turns to pay for lunch/dinner. No-one sites around calculating who had the 2nd coke or the more expensive starter once you're all earning decent wages.
Original post by Reue
Pretty much this. We will usually take it in turns to pay for lunch/dinner. No-one sites around calculating who had the 2nd coke or the more expensive starter once you're all earning decent wages.

Exactly. And with this, I will log out.
Reply 58
everyone apart from you generally divides it up in some way

Everyone apart from him, me, my work colleagues, family and friends.

If you want to divide it up then go somewhere like Nandos so everyone can order separately.
If it's friends and not students - split equally.

If it's anyone you don't know and/or students - everyone pays their own.

There is way too much room for snakery otherwise. I went to a village meal once (don't ask) and it was apparently the agreed norm to split the bill. I ended up with a £35 bill for one plate of pasta, because a few people just went nuts on booze. Also - students will tend to freeload whenever possible.

Whenever I've organised events like club or soc meals, I've always done kind of a hybrid - everyone pays their own and then any shortfall is divided evenly.

Quick Reply

Latest