The Student Room Group

Who has asthma and what affects you

I’m on a blue inhaler and a white one
Also tablets for it
What affects you makes you out of Breath
I hate having asthma feels like such a burden
Would like to know what/ how other people coupe

Scroll to see replies

I’ve got asthma. Prolonged period of activity (e.g. sport) really affects it. I also find that it gets worse in the summer than in the winter.
Original post by Foreverconfu
I’m on a blue inhaler and a white one
Also tablets for it
What affects you makes you out of Breath
I hate having asthma feels like such a burden
Would like to know what/ how other people coupe

Contrary to the user above, I’m worse in winter. The cold air is sooo much worse for me. It’s also worse during the night time. I’m on salamol (blue) and flutiform is a good one for long term athsma, it’s not an instant reliever it’s taken once in the morning and at night. ☺️
Reply 3
Original post by FloralHybrid
Contrary to the user above, I’m worse in winter. The cold air is sooo much worse for me. It’s also worse during the night time. I’m on salamol (blue) and flutiform is a good one for long term athsma, it’s not an instant reliever it’s taken once in the morning and at night. ☺️

Same :frown:
I have asthma and at night I have to wear something warm, even though if it's like 40 degrees or else I get a blocked nose and the stages of asthma begin...
I take my blue/brown inhaler, blue very rarely :smile:
Reply 5
I've got asthma on the blue and pink inhaler the pink one is horrible:frown: and does my neck in even after rinsing my mouth as its a steroid and sport effects my asthma or speed walking. I used to be so fit I don't know where it's come from and contrary to the users above winter makes it worse
Reply 6
I have a blue inhaler, and a horribly sickly-sweet-tasting brown one that's supposed to be preventative, if I ever remembered to take it...

Cold air is my main trigger, so I'm not looking forward to the next few months. Sometimes my breathing gets bad enough that I'll get out of breath from just sitting down- which makes walking anywhere or going outside a nuisance. Pollen and dust tend to aggravate my asthma as well, if to a lesser extent.

I really want to try and improve my health though- I've been eyeing up a few blacksmithing classes for the past year, and I want to be fit enough to try one without hacking up a lung.
Here. Mine's always worse when I'm hot. Short, intense activity sets it off, if I get out of breath then I feel like I just can't catch my breath back sometimes. I really should get some inhalers tbh. I'm on beta blockers for anxiety as well which makes it worse as they work in the exact opposite way to what asthma meds do.
I feel bad for people with asthma literally sometimes I’ll just be walking home and I’ll be sooo out of breath.
Mine gets so bad in winter too as soon as I get a cold I’m super wheezy and breathless and constantly struggle to catch my breath
Guys, can you get rid of asthma because apparently it reduces your life expectancy by 10 years???
As I've heard you can only lower your symptoms but can't get rid of asthma?
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Here. Mine's always worse when I'm hot. Short, intense activity sets it off, if I get out of breath then I feel like I just can't catch my breath back sometimes. I really should get some inhalers tbh. I'm on beta blockers for anxiety as well which makes it worse as they work in the exact opposite way to what asthma meds do.

Does your asthma affect you when you go to the gym, because it does for me as I have to take my blue inhalor with me :frown:
Don’t freak out about asthma and life expectancy as you can’t really do much about that and you could die any Time weather that be an asthma attack or hit by a bus
You can maintain it buy sleeping enough, eating well and exercising this strengthens your lungs and some people do grown out of asthma highly unlikely tho
Also just make sure you’re taking you’re preventers this will make an asthma attack less likely and go to your check ups for asthma at the doctors so you can maintain a decent asthma status and if anything changes then they can help
Also!!! Make sure you get flu jabs !! Especially this time of yea
Reply 14
I used to have asthma when I was a kid, not anymore...
I remember using blue inhaler and a red round one. But tbh I rarely used the blue one.
Idk how my asthma got cured, perhaps eating honey helped?
Original post by a_d2010
Does your asthma affect you when you go to the gym, because it does for me as I have to take my blue inhalor with me :frown:

100%. I'd love to go mad with high reps and dropsets and stuff on big exercises on squats, but I try and avoid such things cause I don't wanna have an asthma attack :rofl: I've puked in the gym bogs several times where I couldn't catch my breath during a hard session.
100%. I'd love to go mad with high reps and dropsets and stuff on big exercises on squats, but I try and avoid such things cause I don't wanna have an asthma attack :rofl: I've puked in the gym bogs several times where I couldn't catch my breath during a hard session.

ahh, same but only in intense workouts do I get out of breath, especially in HIIT training :h:
Original post by Foreverconfu
Also!!! Make sure you get flu jabs !! Especially this time of yea

Nah fam allow flu jabs, their ****

You see I’d love to join a gym but I’m so worried that I’ll just not be able to breath after one thing
Does anyone sometimes experience chest pains as well

Quick Reply

Latest