The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Neuroscience

Hi guys,

I have successfully managed to stress myself out so here I am seeking comfort 😬
I'm applying for Neuroscience at Nottingham, Leeds and UCL (and Forensic Science at Derby and Keele), with Nottingham being my first choice.
I've just had a scroll through the forums and have made myself really paranoid, my predicted grades are AAAB, is it likely that I will get a conditional offer?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying for neuroscience at Nottingham and Leeds as well, my predicted grades are AAB so you're in a better position than I am! Have you sent off your UCAS yet?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm hoping to this week!
I'm sure we'll both be fine!
Have you sent yours off?
Reply 3
Yeah I sent it off Wednesday but it goes to my school first as I put in a buzzword, hopefully they send it off soon!
What subjects do you take?
Reply 4
Shouldn't be too long before you receive a reply!
I take Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology and an EPQ on the side, what about you?
Reply 5
Biology, Geography and environmental science and I took a classics AS. Really regretting not doing maths & having another hard science :frown:
I’ve already also applied for Neuroscience at Nottingham, and Leeds! Your predicted grades seem great! I’m predicted AAB in Psychology, Politics, Biology and sent off UCAS two days ago (7 November). Already got an offer from Leicester for Neuroscience! Just waiting on Manchester (neuro), Nottingham (neuro), Warwick (Biomed) and Leeds (med Science) now!!
Reply 7
My school has just sent off my UCAS today so fingers crossed I get some offers coming in soon! I'm predicted AAB in Psychology, PE, Biology and an A* in EPQ. I'm applying to Nottingham with an intention for it to be my first choice, as well as Keele and Aston (Neuro), Liverpool for Psychology and Bangor for Psychology with Neuropsychology!
Reply 8
Did you struggle writing you personal statement as you're applying to different subjects? I definitely did, as i'm also applying for biology at Bristol and Medical Sciences at Exeter! Good luck with the rest of your offers :smile:
Original post by bioenthusiast
I’ve already also applied for Neuroscience at Nottingham, and Leeds! Your predicted grades seem great! I’m predicted AAB in Psychology, Politics, Biology and sent off UCAS two days ago (7 November). Already got an offer from Leicester for Neuroscience! Just waiting on Manchester (neuro), Nottingham (neuro), Warwick (Biomed) and Leeds (med Science) now!!
Reply 9
Nottingham will be my first choice too (that is if i get an offer...)! Have you guys had any work experience in Neuroscience? I don't so a bit worried about that.

Original post by Lily27
My school has just sent off my UCAS today so fingers crossed I get some offers coming in soon! I'm predicted AAB in Psychology, PE, Biology and an A* in EPQ. I'm applying to Nottingham with an intention for it to be my first choice, as well as Keele and Aston (Neuro), Liverpool for Psychology and Bangor for Psychology with Neuropsychology!
Original post by awes1999
Did you struggle writing you personal statement as you're applying to different subjects? I definitely did, as i'm also applying for biology at Bristol and Medical Sciences at Exeter! Good luck with the rest of your offers :smile:

Hi, it wasn’t too bad tbh. I just made sure to talk about why I liked biomedical stuff as a whole but focused on neuroscience and the brain mainly, but also wrote a bit on immunology which I enjoy and genetics. Think the key is to focus on biology but also make it clear that you are interested in neuro. There’s a few PS examples online for the same situation which are quite handy!!

Thanks and good luck with your application too!! I was considering Exeter but ultimately didn’t apply due to distance
Nottingham will be my first choice too (that is if i get an offer...)! Have you guys had any work experience in Neuroscience? I don't so a bit worried about that.

I’ve had a week long work experience at QMC in the neurology department !! It was so interesting and I loved it. I live in Nottingham hence QMC which is actually the hospital associated with the uni!
I spoke about the brain and nervous system, found it hard not to say the word neuroscience! I read the neuroscience ones and got sent some really good bio ones by my tutor from old oxbridge applicants - that helped a LOT. My application hasn't actually been sent off yet as it goes to my school first and they seem to be taking their time... Hopefully it will be sent off soon!

Hi, it wasn’t too bad tbh. I just made sure to talk about why I liked biomedical stuff as a whole but focused on neuroscience and the brain mainly, but also wrote a bit on immunology which I enjoy and genetics. Think the key is to focus on biology but also make it clear that you are interested in neuro. There’s a few PS examples online for the same situation which are quite handy!!

Thanks and good luck with your application too!! I was considering Exeter but ultimately didn’t apply due to distance
Did you all apply for the BSc or the MSci? I applied for the Masters as the Work experience placement in the third year looks amazing and great for future jobs. I’m scared for an offer as there’s only 36 places altogether between the BSc and MSci according to the official course page. Good luck all!
Applied for BSc as they said you could move across to the 4 year program after you first year for year in industry/abroad. Also wanted the option to do a masters at another uni. I know what you mean about number of places, they seem so few!

Did you all apply for the BSc or the MSci? I applied for the Masters as the Work experience placement in the third year looks amazing and great for future jobs. I’m scared for an offer as there’s only 36 places altogether between the BSc and MSci according to the official course page. Good luck all!
If there was any experience available in the February or April school holidays I would definitely be interested, thank you!
Reply 16

I did a two day work experience placement in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Neuroscience in Oxford working with a few professors, learning about the research side of Neuroscience and assisting in a lab experiment! I’ve included this in my personal statement, I just hope it gets noticed!
As a current first year of Neuroscience (at the University of Manchester), I wish you all the best of luck!

and if you have any questions, I may be of help, so feel free to ask!

LibertySea x
Reply 18
I have always adored psychology but I became more interested in the medical side and I thought Neuroscience was really interesting, and the more I read into it, the more intrigued I got!
Reply 19

Original post by Lily27

Good luck to you both!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending