The Student Room Group

Student Challenges

I graduated in 2012. What are the biggest challenges that you as students are facing today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MopaniMK
I graduated in 2012. What are the biggest challenges that you as students are facing today?

Finances. Hugely.

I’m a student who has to take a year or two off before university because I can’t get enough of a loan to cover my funds whilst at Uni. I’m sure plenty of students at university also struggle financially.
Reply 2
Original post by FloralHybrid
Finances. Hugely.

I’m a student who has to take a year or two off before university because I can’t get enough of a loan to cover my funds whilst at Uni. I’m sure plenty of students at university also struggle financially.

Thanks for sharing this. I am sure it is much harder than when I was there since the tuition fees were increased. How are you planning on building your finances?
Tuition have nothing to do with living costs at uni
Thanks for sharing this. I am sure it is much harder than when I was there since the tuition fees were increased. How are you planning on building your finances?

Interestingly, it’s not tuition fees that are the issue. It’s the maintenance loan (that covers accommodation, food etc.) that you can only get a certain amount for depending on your parents income.

I’ll be taking a gap year or two and working full time in retail, saving up around 18-20k in order to then have funds at university. Unfortunately it’s my only option! x
Interestingly, it’s not tuition fees that are the issue. It’s the maintenance loan (that covers accommodation, food etc.) that you can only get a certain amount for depending on your parents income.

I’ll be taking a gap year or two and working full time in retail, saving up around 18-20k in order to then have funds at university. Unfortunately it’s my only option! x

See im left £150a week after rent
Reply 6

I see my mistake. Yes I remember this. Well done for saving up. You have just offered others a solution to that. I am sure working part time there is also an option?
Reply 7
Original post by niteninja1
See im left £150a week after rent

Where do you for University? Is this manageable or you just keeping you head above the water?
Where do you for University? Is this manageable or you just keeping you head above the water?

I’m at Brunel and it’s £150a week after rent. That’s £150 for food
Reply 9

Living life. :frown:
Reply 10
I’m at Brunel and it’s £150a week after rent. That’s £150 for food

Really I went to Brunel for a Foundation degree. I was in Clifton Hall. Perhaps you can try budgeting? I remember sometimes I literally ate noodles, or toast and beans for dinner sometimes.
Reply 11
Original post by 408655
Living life. :frown:

:s-smilie: What part of living?
Really I went to Brunel for a Foundation degree. I was in Clifton Hall. Perhaps you can try budgeting? I remember sometimes I literally ate noodles, or toast and beans for dinner sometimes.

I don’t need to budget a £150 a WEEK for food
Reply 13
I don’t need to budget a £150 a WEEK for food

So if £150 is left for food after rent, is there anything left for anything else?
So if £150 is left for food after rent, is there anything left for anything else?

Well basically that is my only cost other than rent to so I suppose it’s £150 for food, beer, clothes and goods which is more than plenty
Reply 15
Well basically that is my only cost other than rent to so I suppose it’s £150 for food, beer, clothes and goods which is more than plenty

That's great. Thought you were suggesting £150 is a too little for you.

Reply 17
:s-smilie: What part of living?

haha everything, I don't really like my uni
I see my mistake. Yes I remember this. Well done for saving up. You have just offered others a solution to that. I am sure working part time there is also an option?

Indeed, I could work part time whilst at University. But rather than overloading myself whilst I’m there given I’d need to be working sort of 20+ hours a week, it’s better to work now and be able to focus solely on my studies once I get there. ☺️
Reply 19
Original post by 408655
haha everything, I don't really like my uni

If you hate it perhaps consider a move? I know it is expensive, but are you willing to go through the years unhappy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending