The Student Room Group

Does the gender pay gap exist?

Today is Equal Pay Day - on average, relative to men, women stop earning from today until the end of year. What? Yep.

Theoretically, as the pay gap closes, the date should become later in the year, but this year it falls on exactly the same day as 2016 - 51 days before the end of the year.

There are also reports that the pay gap is actually widening for women in their 20s.

What do you think? Do you experience the pay gap?

Are you surprised?

P.s. Here's a bit more info.

Scroll to see replies

Not in the form of headline grabbing figures. Most of the difference is explainable by factors such as chosen careers, working hours, and mainly children.

However, these factors cannot capture 100% of the difference, nor should we dismiss different career choices and time spent with children as "that's what women want".
Original post by BlinkyBill
Today is Equal Pay Day - on average, relative to men, women stop earning from today until the end of year. What? Yep.

Theoretically, as the pay gap closes, the date should become later in the year, but this year it falls on exactly the same day as 2016 - 51 days before the end of the year.

There are also reports that the pay gap is actually widening for women in their 20s.

What do you think? Do you experience the pay gap?

Are you surprised?

P.s. Here's a bit more info.

Well every job Ive ever done, Ive been paid for the same as female colleagues

and I believe its true, we earn the same (for the same job) until the point women start taking time off for babies and things, which then they get behind in their career (whether that is right or wrong is a different debate though).
(edited 6 years ago)
I think as well, people fail to take in education for women in the past. The largest age demographic in our country is people aged 40-60, and they were raised in a time when women weren't expected to work. Many of them didn't choose to pursue professional careers because it seemed pointless to them; it's a men's world and your husband is the bread winner. I think that the gender pay gap will close as age catches up with us and eventually, women will earn more than men since, academically, girls achieve far better than boys in school
This is a pretty pointless argument.

If women want they can stop working today.

In the same manner the average person has no value in working between January 1st and June 3rd because everything they earn will go entirely to the government. (42% of earnings)

So enjoy the holiday lads and gals.
Original post by sambeaz6
I think as well, people fail to take in education for women in the past. The largest age demographic in our country is people aged 40-60, and they were raised in a time when women weren't expected to work.l

Sorry this is just incorrect. You are talking about the 1940s/50s and these people are far older than this.

Many of my colleagues are in this age group and they all work and have families.
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry this is just incorrect. You are talking about the 1940s/50s and these people are far older than this.

Many of my colleagues are in this age group and they all work and have families.

Maybe you're right, but until 1988, girls weren't even allowed to study certain subjects in school and the professions of choice for many of them were secretarial and health work. It was still seen as socially unacceptable until the 80s for girls to be academically successful is a lot of subjects like maths and engineering. I'm sure many women did aspire to go into professional work but these attitudes definitely still existed in education until quite recently
Maybe you're right, but until 1988, girls weren't even allowed to study certain subjects in school and the professions of choice for many of them were secretarial and health work. It was still seen as socially unacceptable until the 80s for girls to be academically successful is a lot of subjects like maths and engineering. I'm sure many women did aspire to go into professional work but these attitudes definitely still existed in education until quite recently

Proof? Many girls did Maths degrees in the 1960s/70s ... you are talking rubbish.
What subjects weren't girls allowed to take? I'm not aware of any.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don’t understand the whole pay gap thing... it’s illegal to pay men and women different wages for doing the same job based on their sex?

If the argument is that men get paid more because they occupy higher positions, perhaps women should work a bit harder and stop using the feminism card? Could this also be explained by the fact that (USUALLY) women will have children and take a hiatus in their careers, go part time or stop altogether? I appreciate this may be a generalised and not very PC statement to make. I am a woman by the way before anyone starts.
Proof? Many girls did Maths degrees in the 1960s/70s ... you are talking rubbish.

“Weren’t allowed” and “not socially acceptable” are two very different things

This is just what we're taught in A-level sociology, I don't have any evidence. Only a textbook. But programs were implemented like 'Women into science and engineering' and 'Girls into science and technology', created in the 1980s as a way of combating the prevalence of this idea at the time period. I can also say from my own middle-aged and older female relations, none of which pursued a career in mathematics, science or technology. All ended up working in public services, healthcare, retail or secretarial work
Original post by del1rious
“Weren’t allowed” and “not socially acceptable” are two very different things

He stated 'weren't allowed' .... so I'm waiting to hear which subjects these were.
This is just what we're taught in A-level sociology, I don't have any evidence. Only a textbook. But programs were implemented like 'Women into science and engineering' and 'Girls into science and technology', created in the 1980s as a way of combating the prevalence of this idea at the time period. I can also say from my own middle-aged and older female relations, none of which pursued a career in mathematics, science or technology. All ended up working in public services, healthcare, retail or secretarial work

My aunt did a Maths degree in the 1960s and half her course were women. Just because you don't know anyone is not a proof. There are many female maths teachers in their 50s and retired ones in their 60s and 70s...
You need a wider pool of evidence to state these 'facts' as they are clearly untrue.
I'm surprised that so many are endorsing such an illogical conclusion. Apparently it's safe to assume that because the average earnings of a female worker is less than that of a male worker, that women are paid less for the same work.
Reply 14
It was still seen as socially unacceptable until the 80s for girls to be academically successful is a lot of subjects like maths and engineering.

Rubbish. All except one of my maths teachers were women. And this was *quite* some time ago.
The best remedy for the pay gap is for women to switch from humanities to STEM
Original post by del1rious
I don’t understand the whole pay gap thing... it’s illegal to pay men and women different wages for doing the same job based on their sex?

Correct.

If the argument is that men get paid more because they occupy higher positions, perhaps women should work a bit harder and stop using the feminism card? Could this also be explained by the fact that (USUALLY) women will have children and take a hiatus in their careers, go part time or stop altogether? I appreciate this may be a generalised and not very PC statement to make. I am a woman by the way before anyone starts.

You've understood it well.
Reply 17
Original post by Hirsty97

The pay gap is about people doing equivalent work - it doesn't mean there are no inequalities within, for example, STEM.

e.g.
Women engineers earn on average £10k less per year than their male colleagues according to The Engineer’s 2017 salary survey.
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/engineering-salary-survey-reveals-10k-gender-gap/
Original post by Hirsty97

Would help. But the best would be for men to stay home with the kids.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Rubbish. All except one of my maths teachers were women. And this was *quite* some time ago.

Exactly, teachers, not a famously well-paying job. Not as well-paying as many of the other jobs associated with maths qualifications. Teaching is another job that was, and still is, seen as a feminine job

Quick Reply

Latest