The Student Room Group

2017 John Lewis Christmas advert is out!

Brace yourself, John Lewis have realised their Christmas advert and I for one am buzzing because this means I can officially start being excited for Christmas!

This year's ad features "Moz the Monster" who now joins the likes of Monty the Penguin and Buster the Boxer.

You can watch the ad below.

[video="youtube;Jw1Y-zhQURU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1Y-zhQURU[/video]

How do you rank this ad? Who's been your favourite side kick? Do you think there is too much hype around these ads?

AD SPOILER

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

TSR = not middle class at all.
I didn't like it that much. I think M&S have won this year with Paddington.
man you should have seen the comments that came with this ad on the Daily Mail yesterday. so many bitter boomers angry at the fact a black kid was featured, calling it 'PC' and saying they were going to boycott shopping at JL (:lol: yeah like they ever shopped there in the first place) and red-arrowing anyone who said they like the ad. i swear DM commentators are the biggest, most pathetic morons ever. how does one advert with a black kid mean that everything is going PC? i swear every other christmas ad still has a white child in it.
Original post by yungaheartz
man you should have seen the comments that came with this ad on the Daily Mail yesterday. so many bitter boomers angry at the fact a black kid was featured, calling it 'PC' and saying they were going to boycott shopping at JL (:lol: yeah like they ever shopped there in the first place) and red-arrowing anyone who said they like the ad. i swear DM commentators are the biggest, most pathetic morons ever. how does one advert with a black kid mean that everything is going PC? i swear every other christmas ad still has a white child in it.

lmao I love daily mail comments.

Also I've never met ANYBODY who shops at John Lewis, never mind any DM readers
Original post by Retired_Messiah

some of them even said bs like 'lol John Lewis isn't an expensive shop' - lol clear that they've never shopped there. It certainly ain't cheap.
Reply 6
Original post by yungaheartz

What do they want, always white kids? This species can be pathetic when it comes to discrimination.

But on a lighter note, the advert was fine.
Reply 7
not as great as all their others... but still way better than the cringey debenhams one
I hate John Lewis adverts they are so ostentatious. I don't care.

Edit: okay I watched it (out of curiosity). The kid was a good actor. I don't care about black people being featured in media, but the cliche black male white female couple has become passè and reeks of a desperate attempt to appear diverse for the sake of it.

John Lewis sucks anyway. All my favourite clothes, cosmetics and fragrances come from Harvey Nichols.
(edited 6 years ago)
not great.

Has the same problem as the one 2 years back.. (man on the moon one) which is that its not a Christmas story.

Its a story about a boy with a monster... that just happens to end at Christmas.

The problem with that is then your watching the first 25 minutes of the advert and not feeling christmassy at all.

Last years one was much better - the whole story was about a dad wanting to make his daughter happy on christmas, with humour from the animals.. christmas from start to finish. The pengiun one from a few years ago got away with it a bit better because penguins+snow feel a bit christmassy even before the advert moves on to christmas day.

off the top of my head my favourites are:

The robin coming home one - Mrs claus from last year - the penguin/boy - animal trampolines - world war 2 football
(edited 6 years ago)
everyone says they don’t like it?!
personally i think it’s still very good, watching it made me feel warm inside :biggrin:
it’s maybe not as good as previous years have been but nevertheless, it’s still good...
Reply 11
It doesn't stand out for me like they usually do. If there wasn't such a big think about the "John Lewis Christmas advert" then this ad would probably be ignored.
Reply 12
Not as good as the last couple of years, but it's still good. Great marketing tool for John Lewis and the fact that it's such a big deal is huge for them.
I don't like it. Not as 'magical' or Christmassy as previous ones. Monty the penguin from 2014 was the best
Original post by Retired_Messiah

Now you have :p:D

However, I think M&S nailed the advert this year. This advert had too much hype because it was JL but if there wasn't much hype, people wouldn't really know about this.
Original post by Danny Dorito
Brace yourself, John Lewis have realised their Christmas advert and I for one am buzzing because this means I can officially start being excited for Christmas!

This year's ad features "Moz the Monster" who now joins the likes of Monty the Penguin and Buster the Boxer.

You can watch the ad below.

[video="youtube;Jw1Y-zhQURU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1Y-zhQURU[/video]

How do you rank this ad? Who's been your favourite side kick? Do you think there is too much hype around these ads?

AD SPOILER

Spoiler

I Love this!
Not as much hype this year when compared to the previous years...
ts cute but i prefer last years advertisement
The trampolining animals were funnier. This one didn't bring a tear to my eye, but it was OK.
Reply 19
Original post by Hirsty97
I hate John Lewis adverts they are so ostentatious. I don't care.

Edit: okay I watched it (out of curiosity). The kid was a good actor. I don't care about black people being featured in media, but the cliche black male white female couple has become passè and reeks of a desperate attempt to appear diverse for the sake of it.

John Lewis sucks anyway. All my favourite clothes, cosmetics and fragrances come from Harvey Nichols.

'ostentatious' lol i'm adding that to my dictionary of words.

Quick Reply

Latest