The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

Hello,

I have a few questions about the postgraduate loan and compelling personal reasons applications for this academic year.

I was initially enrolled on a MSc course at Bournemouth university in sept 16 however I was forced to suspend my studies in Dec 16 during to my Bipolar Disorder effecting my ability to attend uni and study successfully. In Sept 17 I decided I would return to uni however I transferred onto another MSc course within the same department. My questions are as follows:

1) In my intial 2016 application I was entitled to the full £10000 however I only received the first payment of this (approx £3300) during the first term as I suspended before the next payment in January. Now that I have returned to BU why am I not entitled to the remaining £6600 automatically?

2) I was told by one of your advisors to make a fresh paper application and include my CPR evidence with it which is what I have done however on 10th October I got a letter stating I wasn’t entitled to CPR as my evidence wasn’t enough and that I could send more evidence in if I wanted to. I have since done that but haven’t had any updates from you about it -it’s been around 12 days since I sent it to you with a short covering letter explaining what it was for.

3) What happens if my letter from the university and fit notes are not accepted for CPR? Would I still be entitled to the remainder of my intally suspended loan?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Original post by Allysonjane
Hello,

I have a few questions about the postgraduate loan and compelling personal reasons applications for this academic year.

I was initially enrolled on a MSc course at Bournemouth university in sept 16 however I was forced to suspend my studies in Dec 16 during to my Bipolar Disorder effecting my ability to attend uni and study successfully. In Sept 17 I decided I would return to uni however I transferred onto another MSc course within the same department. My questions are as follows:

1) In my intial 2016 application I was entitled to the full £10000 however I only received the first payment of this (approx £3300) during the first term as I suspended before the next payment in January. Now that I have returned to BU why am I not entitled to the remaining £6600 automatically?

2) I was told by one of your advisors to make a fresh paper application and include my CPR evidence with it which is what I have done however on 10th October I got a letter stating I wasn’t entitled to CPR as my evidence wasn’t enough and that I could send more evidence in if I wanted to. I have since done that but haven’t had any updates from you about it -it’s been around 12 days since I sent it to you with a short covering letter explaining what it was for.

3) What happens if my letter from the university and fit notes are not accepted for CPR? Would I still be entitled to the remainder of my intally suspended loan?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Allysonjane,

If you suspended your studies and resume on same course at same stage you left, then your remaining payments would resume on confirmation of your resumption from your university.

If you are repeating or your university has withdrawn you from your previous 2016 course and you are starting a new Masters course from the beginning in academic year 2017/2018, then you would only be entitled to support if your CPR evidence is accepted.

The Postgraduate Loan is awarded only once, unless you have had mitigating circumstances.

Your additional evidence will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis, if your additional evidence is accepted you will receive another Post Graduate Loan to undertake another Masters course.

Currently the Postgraduate Team are taking only four working days to review correspondence.

If passed those timescales, please give us a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0031
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Regards Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Allysonjane,

If you suspended your studies and resume on same course at same stage you left, then your remaining payments would resume on confirmation of your resumption from your university.

If you are repeating or your university has withdrawn you from your previous 2016 course and you are starting a new Masters course from the beginning in academic year 2017/2018, then you would only be entitled to support if your CPR evidence is accepted.

The Postgraduate Loan is awarded only once, unless you have had mitigating circumstances.

Your additional evidence will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis, if your additional evidence is accepted you will receive another Post Graduate Loan to undertake another Masters course.

Currently the Postgraduate Team are taking only four working days to review correspondence.

If passed those timescales, please give us a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0031
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Regards Rona

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll probably have to give SFE a ring as I posted the new evidence at least 2 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending