The Student Room Group

MSc Financial mathematics / Statistics

Could anyone tell me what courses they took before getting admitted to an MSc in Financial mathematics or MSc in Statistics? Is real analysis (say at the level of Rudin) required?
Original post by eirikkss
Could anyone tell me what courses they took before getting admitted to an MSc in Financial mathematics or MSc in Statistics? Is real analysis (say at the level of Rudin) required?

The uni website will say failing which email them and ask.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
The uni website will say failing which email them and ask.

I have read about 10 of those, and they are not very specific. They also differ quite a lot. Some say "significant mathematical content", some say perticular courses (but never real analysis), some say "in a quantitative subject" etc...

I would like to see the profile of someone who have actually been admitted.
I have read about 10 of those, and they are not very specific. They also differ quite a lot. Some say "significant mathematical content", some say perticular courses (but never real analysis), some say "in a quantitative subject" etc...

I would like to see the profile of someone who have actually been admitted.

That’s not going to get you anywhere as people get admitted based on their whole application not just one element. Word of mouth is far less reliable that asking the uni anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
That’s not going to get you anywhere as people get admitted based on their whole application not just one element. Word of mouth is far less reliable that asking the uni anyway.

That's probably correct. However , I'm also curious about whether or not students have found it necessary to have taken say RA (or any other modules in particular) in order to succeed in such courses. It would be interesting to see the trend.
That's probably correct. However , I'm also curious about whether or not students have found it necessary to have taken say RA (or any other modules in particular) in order to succeed in such courses. It would be interesting to see the trend.

Good luck! Postgrads don’t tend to stick around :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending