The Student Room Group

Resit Year Tuition Fees Query

Hi, I hope someone can help, and apologies if this has been asked before, despite trying I couldn't find an exact answer.

I'm retaking year 2 of my CompSci MEng course, and I've been approved tuition fee loans from Student Finance England for the previous two years. However, my tuition fees haven't been approved this year, and upon ringing SFE they said (twice, because I can't get my head around this...) that they fund the 4 years course, plus 1 year, but because of my previous studies they can't fund this year. I can't understand why not. I would think this year counts as the one extra year, and I've found an example of a student receiving a tuition loan on their first retake, so I would really love to know what the situation is in my case, why I can't get it, and if there's anything I should do.

I do have medical history that may be counted as "compelling reason" to be granted the loan, but I wanted to ask here first, and of course if there is something amiss I'll ring SFE back and try again...

Thank you very much for reading this and I look forward to any advice!
:smile:

Kai
Original post by Sylvy
Hi, I hope someone can help, and apologies if this has been asked before, despite trying I couldn't find an exact answer.

I'm retaking year 2 of my CompSci MEng course, and I've been approved tuition fee loans from Student Finance England for the previous two years. However, my tuition fees haven't been approved this year, and upon ringing SFE they said (twice, because I can't get my head around this...) that they fund the 4 years course, plus 1 year, but because of my previous studies they can't fund this year. I can't understand why not. I would think this year counts as the one extra year, and I've found an example of a student receiving a tuition loan on their first retake, so I would really love to know what the situation is in my case, why I can't get it, and if there's anything I should do.

I do have medical history that may be counted as "compelling reason" to be granted the loan, but I wanted to ask here first, and of course if there is something amiss I'll ring SFE back and try again...

Kai

I think you should speak to your university student advice/finance team.

It sounds like they may have initially told SFE that you were on a BEng course and so when they extended you onto the MEng that’s confused things.

They should be able to help you unpick why this has happened and help you to get it sorted out (worst case scenario- if they messed up and they can’t sort it out then they might be willing to waive your fee for the extra year...)
Original post by Sylvy

Kai

Hi Kai,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better.

First of all just to confirm, you are currently undertaking a four year, integrated Masters course ?

Secondly this is the first time you are having to repeat a year of study during this course?

Finally prior to this course, what previous study have you had ?

Thanks Rona
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies!

Original post by PQ
I think you should speak to your university student advice/finance team.

It sounds like they may have initially told SFE that you were on a BEng course and so when they extended you onto the MEng that’s confused things.

They should be able to help you unpick why this has happened and help you to get it sorted out (worst case scenario- if they messed up and they can’t sort it out then they might be willing to waive your fee for the extra year...)

Good ideas, thank you. My course has always appeared to be an MEng to me, but you could possibly be right and the internal system has me down as BEng until after my second year. I'll try that if this fails, or possibly anyway. Thanks! ^^

Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Kai,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better.

First of all just to confirm, you are currently undertaking a four year, integrated Masters course ?

Secondly this is the first time you are having to repeat a year of study during this course?

Finally prior to this course, what previous study have you had ?

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Yup, I'm undertaking a four year, integrated Masters course, and this is the first time I'm having to repeat.

My previous study has been secondary school (John Cabot Academy), no university or higher education whatsoever.

It does occur to me however, I did previously apply for student finance in 2013, when I was originally going to start uni on the same course, before I was diagnosed with sever aplastic anaemia a few days before the start of term. (You can't say I don't have good timing...) That application was cancelled and as far as I know was all sorted out. I'm sorry for not thinking of that before, although I doubt it would have any effect...?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by Sylvy
Thank you for your replies!

Good ideas, thank you. My course has always appeared to be an MEng to me, but you could possibly be right and the internal system has me down as BEng until after my second year. I'll try that if this fails, or possibly anyway. Thanks! ^^

Hi Rona,

Yup, I'm undertaking a four year, integrated Masters course, and this is the first time I'm having to repeat.

My previous study has been secondary school (John Cabot Academy), no university or higher education whatsoever.

It does occur to me however, I did previously apply for student finance in 2013, when I was originally going to start uni on the same course, before I was diagnosed with sever aplastic anaemia a few days before the start of term. (You can't say I don't have good timing...) That application was cancelled and as far as I know was all sorted out. I'm sorry for not thinking of that before, although I doubt it would have any effect...?

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Hi Sylvy,

You are entitled to full support for the length of your course plus we give you an additional year of support, that's incase you have to repeat a year.

Therefore as you are undertaking a 4 year course that allows you five years of full support minus any previous study.

As you have had no previous study at higher level and not repeated any years previously, you should be entitled to full support for your repeat year, that includes the tuition fee.

Check your application online that you have requested the Tuition Fee, in the loan request section, if not you can make changes online.

If you requested the tuition fee, then as we have no access to specific accounts here, you will need to call us in order that we can check that your previous application was cancelled.

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

If the university confirmed your registration that year and you received any payments, it would count as a year of previous study and used up that additional year of support.

In that case you would be entitled to a Maintenance Loan only, no Tuition Fee for this repeat year.

As you advised you did have mitigating circumstances that year, if you provide evidence of that, an assessor can take that into account.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending