The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

POLL: do you support the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
Original post by Bosnia
Yes I would if they molested children. Good job defending paedophilia

Thank you. Yes, I agree that they should be punished in some way for molesting children. Before that point, threatening to punish them if they as much as mention that they are attracted to children is not going to safeguard children, in the end.
Reply 22
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and a big helping of no.
Reply 23
Original post by math42
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and a big helping of no.

Even for mass murderers or those who commit genocides during war?
Yes I'd support it however there will need to be 100% certainty with no doubt that they committed the crime. I'd reserve it for the most horrible crimes as well like torture, murder etc.

I'd heard a story that the UK stopped doing it after a Welsh man was wrongly convicted and killed after DNA later proved him innocent.
Original post by 713Wave
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth best describes this situation. If you rape or murder someone, and the SOLID evidence against you, which you hasn't been tampered with, is COMPLETELY overwhelming, then yes there MUST BE EQUAL TREATMENT, in other words THE PUNISHMENT MUST FIT THE CRIME.........

in other words, you pay with your life!

If you want equal treatment then the punishment for rape would be to be raped then not killed surely?

For me the morality of killing someone doesnt change because it is State sanctioned.
Reply 26
Original post by mojojojo101
If you want equal treatment then the punishment for rape would be to be raped then not killed surely?

For me the morality of killing someone doesnt change because it is State sanctioned.

The Church allows it, and that's all that matters
Original post by GovernmentEarner
No.

1. No human should have the power to decide whether another human should exist or not, despite what the perpetrator may have done.
2. Wrongfully accused will never be rectified.
3. It’s an ‘easy way out’. Knowing you will be imprisoned until a natural death is much worse.

To an extent I agree, however with point number one, in my opinion, a murderer decided to take the life of someone so why should they get to keep their life? They made that decision for someone else, someone helpless and unable to save themselves. They decided to stop someone existing. Why can't someone make the same decision about their life? In my opinion, if you take a life, you don't deserve to get to live yours - whether that's in prison, in therapy or elsewhere.
Reply 28
The gap in the poll is closing!!
Reply 29
Original post by Bosnia
Even for mass murderers or those who commit genocides during war?

Yep.
My dad thinks you should get what you've done to the victim. So if you killed someone by torturing them, he thinks that you should be tortured the same way. I personally do not agree with this, but it is another interesting view to add to this debate.
Original post by Bosnia
The Church allows it, and that's all that matters

What is that supposed to mean?

I dont understand if you mean to suggest that one of the biggest child prostitution rings in human history should be looked to for moral guidance or not?
The death penalty should only be for people who wear jeans that have been deliberately made to have holes in them. In all other cases, no.

(Seriously: no under all circumstances)
Reply 33
Original post by mojojojo101
What is that supposed to mean?

I dont understand if you mean to suggest that one of the biggest child prostitution rings in human history should be looked to for moral guidance or not?

That small minority of the Church should be executed too, but in my country the Church is the moral authority and things like that do not happen
Reply 34
Original post by math42
Yep.

And why is that? I'd happily throw them into a pit of fire. In fact, burning at the stake was a strong deterrent, especially for treason.
Reply 35
Original post by TheBirder
The death penalty should only be for people who wear jeans that have been deliberately made to have holes in them. In all other cases, no.

(Seriously: no under all circumstances)

I completely disagree, but I guess you're a labour loving leftie so no point in arguing with you
Original post by Bosnia
And why is that? I'd happily throw them into a pit of fire. In fact, burning at the stake was a strong deterrent, especially for treason.

Do you have reputable evidence to suggest that burning at the stake was a deterrent? I'd love to see it

Otherwise, there is absolutely 0 evidence to suggest that the death penalty is a deterrent to many crimes, particularly murder. Take a look at death penalty states in the USA. They tend to have a higher rate of homicide than states without capital punishment.

Also, when considering the many serious miscarriages of justice that have occurred (this list of people who were freed from death row when they were found innocent:
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row ) it would be far too risky to reinstate capital punishment.
Original post by Bosnia
I completely disagree, but I guess you're a labour loving leftie so no point in arguing with you

Well I was hoping to have an intellectual discussion and battle based on wits and carefully formed arguments. But you appear to be unarmed.

I supposed this discussion would probably resort to childish ad hominem attacks eventually but in your first reply? Really?
If you only wanted responses that were in agreement to your own preexisting point of view, why even include a 'no' option in the poll?
Original post by Bosnia
That small minority of the Church should be executed too, but in my country the Church is the moral authority and things like that do not happen

So your morality is based on what some bloke in a silly robe selling lies about what his imaginary freind told him to do...
Reply 39
Original post by Bosnia

For one, I fundamentally disagree with the state killing its own citizens. For another, on a practical level, I see no good case for the death penalty. It doesn't even save money as far as I know, and only seems to feed into our innate desire for retribution, which is emotional, not logical.

Latest

Trending

Trending