The Student Room Group

Can I take my exams at my old sixth form?

So basically I was at my old sixth form for year 12 but had to leave for A2 due to too many unauthorized absenses. I then went to a new college to re do year 12 because exam boards were different(my grades were BCD and a U which i could resit at the school when I attended). I had to change to a level 3 ICT BTEC which I wasn’t that keen on.

At this point I would like to know if its still possible to do the resits that are in january with my old skl (i dont mind paying late fees). They sent off to register the people doing them last week. The retake is for the exam aspect of a level 2 BTEC IT.

I was also wondering if I could take my A2 exams for Sociology and Psychology that are in 2018 there or is this unlikely? The main reason I want to do them there is for the chance of them also doing my predicted grades for and refference for UCAS as well as marking my coursework as I am currently a private candidate None of the institutions ‘ve looked at are willing to mark coursework. For AS I got B in Psych, C in Soci and D in Eng Lit. For the IT BTEC my coursework was quite good. However, these grades were mainly due to procrastination and me only revising the night before. The school would consider me intelligent if this would at all affect my chances.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gutz
So basically I was at my old sixth form for year 12 but had to leave for A2 due to too many unauthorized absenses. I then went to a new college to re do year 12 because exam boards were different(my grades were BCD and a U which i could resit at the school when I attended). I had to change to a level 3 ICT BTEC which I wasn’t that keen on.

At this point I would like to know if its still possible to do the resits that are in january with my old skl (i dont mind paying late fees). They sent off to register the people doing them last week. The retake is for the exam aspect of a level 2 BTEC IT.

I was also wondering if I could take my A2 exams for Sociology and Psychology that are in 2018 there or is this unlikely? The main reason I want to do them there is for the chance of them also doing my predicted grades for and refference for UCAS as well as marking my coursework as I am currently a private candidate None of the institutions ‘ve looked at are willing to mark coursework. For AS I got B in Psych, C in Soci and D in Eng Lit. For the IT BTEC my coursework was quite good. However, these grades were mainly due to procrastination and me only revising the night before. The school would consider me intelligent if this would at all affect my chances.

Why not ask the headteacher or the exam officer?
Considering you had to leave due to absences then it would depend whether these absences were good reasons or your own doing. If they asked you to leave then I would think it highly unlikely they will take you back and you will need to find a private exam centre. If your poor grades were down to lack of revision, then you have to take responsibility for that.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why not ask the headteacher or the exam officer?
Considering you had to leave due to absences then it would depend whether these absences were good reasons or your own doing. If they asked you to leave then I would think it highly unlikely they will take you back and you will need to find a private exam centre. If your poor grades were down to lack of revision, then you have to take responsibility for that.

They were my own doing :/ but I have since then changed and am taking my education much more seriously.

Is there anything I can do to convince them?
Original post by gutz
They were my own doing :/ but I have since then changed and am taking my education much more seriously.

Is there anything I can do to convince them?

You should talk to the headteacher, but I wouldnt rate your chances. You are essentially saying they asked you to leave, so you are an ex pupil and they own you nothing.
Reply 4
You should talk to the headteacher, but I wouldnt rate your chances. You are essentially saying they asked you to leave, so you are an ex pupil and they own you nothing.

I went there today and they agreed a meeting with the headteacher for next monday to argue my case. Tbh I don't really know how to prove that I’ve changed. If they let me back I’m sure they’d be convinced.
Original post by gutz
I went there today and they agreed a meeting with the headteacher for next monday to argue my case. Tbh I don't really know how to prove that I’ve changed. If they let me back I’m sure they’d be convinced.

I think thats very positive and you just have to show you were sorry and you realise your behaviour wasnt good enough and yu will change in specific aspects. Take a parent to show you are serious.
Reply 6
Original post by gutz

Draw up a study timetable too show that you will have time to work.

Work out the reason for your continual absences, and figure out how to combat that:
Do you need to go to bed earlier?
Do you need to watch less Netflixes?
Do you need to eat more fruit and veg or take a multivitamin to stay healthy?
Do you need a more reliable form of transport?
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Draw up a study timetable too show that you will have time to work.

Work out the reason for your continual absences, and figure out how to combat that:
Do you need to go to bed earlier?
Do you need to watch less Netflixes?
Do you need to eat more fruit and veg or take a multivitamin to stay healthy?
Do you need a more reliable form of transport?

These are very good ideas, thank you.

By “work” do you mean a job or to catch up on what I’ve missed?
Reply 8
Original post by gutz
These are very good ideas, thank you.

By “work” do you mean a job or to catch up on what I’ve missed?

I meant do your school work.
Original post by Juno
I meant do your school work.

I thought he was going to watch more Netflix, eat less fruit, stay up later.....
Reply 10
I thought he was going to watch more Netflix, eat less fruit, stay up later.....

That pretty much describes my life at the moment so I'm not going to judge
Reply 11
Original post by Juno
That pretty much describes my life at the moment so I'm not going to judge

If you have any more tips/ideas I could use for Monday I'd be very grateful, any little thing. Thank you for your everyone's help so far, it's much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest