The Student Room Group

Getting an A in A Level maths

Is it possible to get an A in A level maths without resitting? I got a mid B at AS (A in C2).

Scroll to see replies

Yes of course it is! :smile: you'll just have to pick up some more marks this year! :h:
you would have to score over 80% to secure an A in rest of the modules, if you don't won't resit C1 and M1/S1. But then it depends on grade boundaries. Try to analyse grade boundaries over the past years, it should give you some idea how much UMS marks you need for each module to get A.
Reply 3
Original post by Germania
Is it possible to get an A in A level maths without resitting? I got a mid B at AS (A in C2).

Post ur ums for each exam, for some modules like c1 it will be easier for u to get the marks now that u have done more maths, if u push the easier ones right up u have slack for the harder exams
Reply 4
Original post by Shaanv
Post ur ums for each exam, for some modules like c1 it will be easier for u to get the marks now that u have done more maths, if u push the easier ones right up u have slack for the harder exams

Thing is that I don't want to resit as I'm doing three other subjects and didn't want a resit to look bad on my UCAS application. In C1 I got 73 UMS, M1 I got 71 UMS and in C2 I got 84 UMS
(edited 6 years ago)
You don’t need to put down your modules and grades if you don’t want to, just your final grade of a B, so they won’t know by the end of it if you’re retaking or not (plus this doesn’t look that bad as most people end up retaking a module).

And to get an A overall in A Level Maths you need to get 480/600 UMS. You currently have 232, so you only need 248 more. Therefore, if you can average 83 UMS or more between C3 C4 and whatever other module you’re taking you will end up with an A, so its plausible.

Honestly if I were in your position I would just retake C1 being by the time you’re doing C3/4 C1 will seem ridiculously easy, and getting well above 80 UMS or more will be a walk in the park for you, and it won’t look bad on your UCAS application either.

Hoping all goes well!
Reply 6
Original post by _RobbieL_
You don’t need to put down your modules and grades if you don’t want to, just your final grade of a B, so they won’t know by the end of it if you’re retaking or not (plus this doesn’t look that bad as most people end up retaking a module).

And to get an A overall in A Level Maths you need to get 480/600 UMS. You currently have 232, so you only need 248 more. Therefore, if you can average 83 UMS or more between C3 C4 and whatever other module you’re taking you will end up with an A, so its plausible.

Honestly if I were in your position I would just retake C1 being by the time you’re doing C3/4 C1 will seem ridiculously easy, and getting well above 80 UMS or more will be a walk in the park for you, and it won’t look bad on your UCAS application either.

Hoping all goes well!

Thank you very much for your reply! I think it's too late to request resits from my school, but I'll work hard on C3 and C4. My other module is S1, which I've heard is easier than C1.
Reply 7
Thank you very much for your reply! I think it's too late to request resits from my school, but I'll work hard on C3 and C4. My other module is S1, which I've heard is easier than C1.

It can never hurt to ask, just incase they can get u in. I think they confirm the exams u will be sitting around January time but im not entirely sure.

Whatever u end up doing good luck.

What are ur future plans?

fwiw the other poster was referring to resits not remarks.
Reply 9
Original post by Shaanv
It can never hurt to ask, just incase they can get u in. I think they confirm the exams u will be sitting around January time but im not entirely sure.

Whatever u end up doing good luck.

What are ur future plans?

Thanks! I've applied to uni and got an offer from Bristol and an interview at UCL so far. How about you?

I don’t know how your school works but for mine if anyone is resitting modules then you need to enter yourself for it in January to be taken in your School in June (or whenever the exam is). I know that’s what happens in mine because I’m retaking Mechanics 2 and Further Pure 1.

Have a talk with your School and see what they say, I expect you will be able to retake it.
Reply 11
I don’t know how your school works but for mine if anyone is resitting modules then you need to enter yourself for it in January to be taken in your School in June (or whenever the exam is). I know that’s what happens in mine because I’m retaking Mechanics 2 and Further Pure 1.

Have a talk with your School and see what they say, I expect you will be able to retake it.

So I just wouldn't tell UCAS about this (I've already applied to uni)
So I just wouldn't tell UCAS about this (I've already applied to uni)

Yeah just don’t mention it and then when you end up with all your A*s they will accept you anyway :wink:
Reply 13
Yeah just don’t mention it and then when you end up with all your A*s they will accept you anyway :wink:

Ty!!

Definitely. Using the numbers you provided earlier, you need 248 UMS across your A2 modules (that's 83%) which should be achievable with work. But to be honest, there's no harm done in retaking C1 - you should find it much easier second time around.
Ty!!

Stupid idea. You can get into legal issues and get rejected by hiding it away.
my resit request deadline is dec 13 wednesday and i'm retaking c1 c2 and s1 cos I got a D at AS and want an A minimum overall for A-Level.

Doing resits doesn't always look bad (unless u have mitigating circumstances) and sometimes can be seen as more better because ur handling more pressure by redoing the stuff alongside others. I wanna apply for dentistry and saw on QMUL it said that.
Reply 17
Thanks! I've applied to uni and got an offer from Bristol and an interview at UCL so far. How about you?

Interview with imperial soon and offer from surrey
Reply 18
Original post by Shaanv
Interview with imperial soon and offer from surrey

Well done that's impressive!
Reply 19
Original post by ckfeister
Stupid idea. You can get into legal issues and get rejected by hiding it away.

Yeah I'll just try and do well in my next three modules

Quick Reply

Latest