The Student Room Group

Unfair driving test

So I failed my driving test after I made a mistake I had a panic attack but the driving instructor didn't seem to care or notice. After she told me I had failed I started crying and she just left the car; no good luck next time or bye she just left. I only knew she left because she opened the door. What do you make of this? and what can I do about it?
Thanks
Original post by megan789
So I failed my driving test after I made a mistake I had a panic attack but the driving instructor didn't seem to care or notice. After she told me I had failed I started crying and she just left the car; no good luck next time or bye she just left. I only knew she left because she opened the door. What do you make of this? and what can I do about it?
Thanks

All you can do is learn for next time. Unfortunately driving examiners are not sympathetic, they test dozens of people each day so its just a normal day regardless of the student taking the test. I had quite a negative experience with a driving examiner who quite simply left the car when my test was finished but you just have to forget about it and prepare yourself for the next one. Its more experience for your next test :smile:
Thanks

SHe had to get to the next test - they aren't paid to comfort you.

My friend had the wheel fall off his car during his test - the examiner just got out and walked away back to the Test Centre.
Thanks

Nothing.

She is there to do a job as a tester. She is not paid to be a counsellor as well.

Having said that, it's a bit unsympathetic to just hand you a failed test form and walk off.

Unfortunately, there is no law that say's the tester needs to provide emotional support to failed candidates.

That's just the way it is unfortunately.

Advice: assess why you failed, get back on the horse and try again.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks

Why is it unfair that you failed, in your opinion?
what can I do about it?

Nothing, obviously. As above, she's not your counsellor.

It wasn't particularly nice of her to leave in that manner but tbh it's just a driving test. It's a very mundane thing, particularly, I imagine, for an examiner, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for her to go to work and expect to get through the day without having to get all emotional at the end of every test.
Original post by IWMTom
Why is it unfair that you failed, in your opinion?

Because feelings are more important when driving than actual driving ability, obviously.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by UniWasEz
Because feeling are more important when driving than actual driving ability, obviously.

It's pretty sad how often people believe that is true around here :laugh:
Wow, you guys make my examiner seem like the nicest guy around. When I failed my second test, we spent about 5 minutes after the fact discussing the mistake and how to avoid getting myself into that situation in the future
Thanks

The driving examiner is there to EXAMINE YOUR DRIVING ABILITY. He/she is not obliged to wish you good luck or wrap you in cotton wool.

You can try and appeal, but expect your case to be laughed at by DVSA employees.
Thanks

Unfortunately that's not unfair. You cannot pass your driving test if you have a panic attack after making a mistake. Every driver makes a mistake almost every time they drive. They get too close to another car, they are in the wrong gear for a bit, they stall. However they don't panic, they just fix it and keep driving. Imagine how unsafe you'll be if you're allowed on the road on your own and you have a panic attack after making a mistake.

Driving examiners have other tests to do. It sounds harsh, but you're just another number to them.

Just book your test and try different strategies to coping with your panic attacks.
I know this is old, but I failed my driving test to an ******* of a driving examiner who was on his phone 90% of the test, the jackass told me to merge lanes last second, i told him it’s not safe but he said if I don’t follow his directions I will fail. Then the clown failed me for making an unsafe turn, he gave me an ultimatum to fail me on purpose. I wanted to punch this moron in the face so badly but instead I cussed him out and he simply walked away with a literal smile on his face. There are some true *******s out there.

Latest

Trending

Trending