The Student Room Group

Who has applied for PPE 2018 at Oxford

If people want say which college they've applied to, their A-levels GCSE grades etc . How are people finding and scoring on the TSA?
Reply 1
I'm applying for PPE at Wadham.

GCSEs: 8 A*s, 3 As
AS-Levels: 3 As, 93% avg (91.1% Mathematics, 90% History, 97% Geography)
A-Level predictions: 3 A*s, plus an A* in the Welsh Baccalaureate

TSA: Currently hitting around 66/67, not sure how good this is? Can anyone give any feedback, considering the context of my wider application?
I'm applying for PPE at Exeter College.

My GCSEs were 12A*s and a distinction in Further Maths

I'm doing the IB instead of A Levels (moved from comp to a scholarship at an international school) and have predicted 43/45 with 7 in HL English Lit, 6s in HL Global Politics and Physics and then 7s in Maths, Welsh Literature Self Taught and Theatre SL.

Am hitting anywhere between 65 and 70 on TSA depending on year. Critical thinking is good but problem solving is a pile of tosh.
Original post by CymroArFryn
I'm applying for PPE at Exeter College.

My GCSEs were 12A*s and a distinction in Further Maths

I'm doing the IB instead of A Levels (moved from comp to a scholarship at an international school) and have predicted 43/45 with 7 in HL English Lit, 6s in HL Global Politics and Physics and then 7s in Maths, Welsh Literature Self Taught and Theatre SL.

Am hitting anywhere between 65 and 70 on TSA depending on year. Critical thinking is good but problem solving is a pile of tosh.

I also applied to Exeter College:smile: I am also doing the IB and am predicted 7,6,6 (Eng. A Lang/Lit, History, Physics respectively) at HL and 7,7,5 (Math, ITGS, Spanish respectively) at SL. I just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the likelihood of us being disadvantaged due to:

a) due to being Math SL students
b) Taking a science at HL (Physics) and not getting a 7.
Original post by Ahmad Daud
I also applied to Exeter College:smile: I am also doing the IB and am predicted 7,6,6 (Eng. A Lang/Lit, History, Physics respectively) at HL and 7,7,5 (Math, ITGS, Spanish respectively) at SL. I just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the likelihood of us being disadvantaged due to:

Oh that's awesome!

a) I don't think it puts us at a disadvantage. As someone with friends doing a mixture of IB and A Level, SL definitely covers enough ground! I'd only have a concern if we'd done studies...

b) I don't think our not having a 7 has any impact? It's much better to do HL Physics and get a 6 than it is to do ESS SL and get a 7; Physics is actually helpful for PPE. Problem solving and analytical skills. If you've met the 6 that's good enough!
Oh that's awesome!

a) I don't think it puts us at a disadvantage. As someone with friends doing a mixture of IB and A Level, SL definitely covers enough ground! I'd only have a concern if we'd done studies...

b) I don't think our not having a 7 has any impact? It's much better to do HL Physics and get a 6 than it is to do ESS SL and get a 7; Physics is actually helpful for PPE. Problem solving and analytical skills. If you've met the 6 that's good enough!

Thanks for the reply :smile: For the math I didn't mean what we would actually learn but rather just the application stage... do you think other applicants with math HL have an upper hand?
Thanks for the reply :smile: For the math I didn't mean what we would actually learn but rather just the application stage... do you think other applicants with math HL have an upper hand?

The TSA is far more important than whether you do HL or SL. If you did well in the problem solving in the TSA that's what matters as far as I know. If you have a higher problem solving score than an HL kid, you have the upper hand. Math is regarded highly because it translates into a good TSA score and SL / A Level is the level you need to deal with the econ and philosophy stuff that is mathsy. So there isn't really an upper hand given purely on that basis as far as I know
The TSA is far more important than whether you do HL or SL. If you did well in the problem solving in the TSA that's what matters as far as I know. If you have a higher problem solving score than an HL kid, you have the upper hand. Math is regarded highly because it translates into a good TSA score and SL / A Level is the level you need to deal with the econ and philosophy stuff that is mathsy. So there isn't really an upper hand given purely on that basis as far as I know

Haha okay... How'd the TSA go? Wasn't it harder than the past years 🤔?
I actually thought it was easier than all the other past papers! My scores are usually really twisted though so idk... they came right during my end of term exams though so I've totally compromised my US application by just studying for the TSA... Then turns out you can't even really study for it. I had fun writing the essay but I ****ed it up. i defined a safe haven as a refugee camp and they're not the same thing :L how about yours? Are you an international applicant?

YesI am an international applicant haha. I found mine more difficult than all the papers up to 2013 but on the same level as 2014. The essay, I too, messed up but oh well 😂
(edited 6 years ago)

Hey I'm also applying for PPE and do the IB! I've heard that they accept people who do AS level maths, so doing SL maths shouldn't be a disadvantage! I'm just worried about getting any tough maths based economics questions if (very slim chance) I get an interview...
Original post by saffyrose17
Hey I'm also applying for PPE and do the IB! I've heard that they accept people who do AS level maths, so doing SL maths shouldn't be a disadvantage! I'm just worried about getting any tough maths based economics questions if (very slim chance) I get an interview...

May I know your predicteds.? :smile:
I'm applying without any maths qualifications - Sociology, Politics, Economics (and an EPQ). Based on the website 95% of applications or something take maths but there are similar success rates for those who do and those do not, and I feel like a sizeable proportion of that could be explained by the TSA anyways.
May I know your predicteds.? :smile:

I’ve been predicted 44 with 777 HL and 776 SL (with a 6 in maths which is why I’m nervous about the maths)
Seems like there is a lot of applicants to Exeter College! I count myself as one of them too :smile:
Original post by charlie17xo
I’ve been predicted 44 with 777 HL and 776 SL (with a 6 in maths which is why I’m nervous about the maths)

Hi, did you get an offer? I also applied with 42 predicted (HL-776, SL-775) but got rejected sadly.

Hi, did you get an offer? I also applied with 42 predicted (HL-776, SL-775) but got rejected sadly.
Original post by sarahfelicia

Don't worry I got rejected too-I've now firmed Durham and have Edinburgh as my insurance
Hi! I'm French and applying too!
I won't put my grades in here since you wouldn't understand them anyway cause they're not A levels, but pretty good ones... However you all scare me now with your 65-70 scores on the TSA.. I've done only one full mock so far but scored 63.2... And yes problem solving IS crap :wink:
Original post by melinamag03
Hi! I'm French and applying too!
I won't put my grades in here since you wouldn't understand them anyway cause they're not A levels, but pretty good ones... However you all scare me now with your 65-70 scores on the TSA.. I've done only one full mock so far but scored 63.2... And yes problem solving IS crap :wink:

You may wish to see the 2019 thread instead :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5500266

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending