The Student Room Group

Failing at University, I want to drop out

Depending on what year you are in, there could be financial implications.

You could study a second degree with the Open University in any degree of your choice. You could also choose the pay monthly option to pay for your year.
Original post by APersonYo
I just got a 3rd in my recent test despite loads of studying

idk what to so

Welcome to uni!

If it's worth anything, I just got 57% in a programming coursework despite already doing a year of CS at a different uni (where I was solidly averaging 80-85%). I'm using this as a wake up call to put more effort into my studies because this new uni is way more challenging - I think you should do the same.

Don't let this one blip (of which accounts for barely anything in your first year) get you down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

idk what to so

Heya! I'm sorry about that grade; it's hard to get yourself feeling motivated to tackle your course when a setback like that happens :frown:

I think the first thing to do is look at why you made a third. Did you misunderstand the questions? The content?

University may require you to reevaluate how you study, as the questions it asks you are different from A-levels. It requires a lot more synthesis of knowledge and demonstration of that knowledge in new ways than perhaps your other schools asked of you.

That just means changing things up. I'd suggest going to see the lecturer of the module, explaining to him that you're struggling and asking him or her what they think is the best way to study for that module. Perhaps you just need a different study strategy!
Im in first year and Im a month in... if i drop out now can I get my money back?

You're still so new to everything and first year usually doesn't count because they expect people to make mistakes. Is it a formative piece that you'll get feedback on? Use this as a learning curve. We all make mistakes, and the fact you have so early on means that there's time to fix things and improve for when it really matters :smile:

On another note, if you are serious about leaving, don't drop out now because you're too far into the academic year to pay nothing so the uni will expect money and Student Finance won't pay the uni unless you finish this semester. I had to leave my old uni AFTER January 4th to still be eligible for SFE funding.

idk what to so

Just tagging in

University Centre Hastings
x

s and @Sheffield Hallam University
(edited 6 years ago)

idk what to so

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about this. It must have been disappointing after all your hard work. However, I would say you are fairly early in to decide you are failing at uni after just one test! Maybe you are being a bit hard on yourself?

I think @Michelle Bieger is right when she talks about re-evaluating how you study. Is there somewhere at your University you could get help with this? Usually there is student support available with study skills. You could try asking your tutor, or perhaps someone in the library. Student Services is also always a good port of call if you're having problems.

How would you feel about doing this?

Jordan

idk what to so

Im in first year and Im a month in... if i drop out now can I get my money back?

Hey,

Don't be so hard on yourself! University is a brand new experience for everyone, and it will take time to adjust to this different style of learning.
Remember that getting a 3rd isn't actually failing, and as others have said, first year is the best time for this to happen as it doesn't usually count towards your degree grade and it gives you a chance to learn and get better.

Not only is it a good idea to stop and think about what it is you may be struggling with for yourself to work on, but relaying this to the uni's support services will be really important. Your uni should have systems in place to support students who are struggling in whatever area, and the academic area is certainly a big one of these. What do you think it is about your studies that you're having the most problems with? I'd be happy to give you some advice if I can help.

In my opinion it is worth giving your degree another chance and looking into the options you have to get further support. However, if you really don't think university is for you, have a look into your other options before dropping out and then speak to a university adviser to see how you could do this in the best way for you.

Hope this helped,

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest