The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's to keep fresh in our minds the horrors of war and the lives that were lost. I can't help but feel that people who think poppies glorify war are the same people who say videogames promote mass murder.
Original post by EllieCeeJay
There are always alternatives to killing people.

No. There isn't. Not always.
Sometimes, sure. Always? No. Not in the real world.

And I will call people in the army murderers because they are to me.

You have to be careful when you throw out words which have discreet legal meanings. You're categorically wrong on this point.

They kill people, guilty or not

Again, wrong. British personnel are only allowed to use force, deadly or otherwise, when there is clear threat to life. If someone is threatening life, then by definition they're guilty.

I'm entitled to my own opinion with that.

Yes, you are. But you're not presenting opinions here, you're stating facts and you're getting them wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not going to wear a poppy but have no qualms with those who do. And it doesn't glorify war; merely pays tribute to those felled as a result of it (whether that be allies or axis). Many people were forced to serve as a result of conscription, so keep that in mind.
Reply 103
I don't wear a poppy because i don't have to
Original post by emilyjc17
^ To every single libtard on this thread.

So, Hitler should have won then?

The Poppy and Remembrance Day symbolism dates to WWI, so silly argument.
If armies were abolished, across the globe (wishful thinking, I know), the scenario wouldn't happen again. But for every second we have nuclear weapons, and an army, and an air force, and a navy, we are both protecting and dooming our country. I will never condone the armed forces, and I will never consider them to be something we need.

So let's talk rhetorically about an attack on Britain. What do you think we would do if we had no army?
Can we please bring out a law that states all libtards and religious extremists need to board a ship departing in a month's time to, I don't know, Russia? There's enough room. They can spend their days going on, and on about how terribly evil Britain was, and how they'd really rather Hitler have won and going on bouts of periodic outrage each time something new crossed their exploding minds - until of course, they came begging to come back with poppies raining out of their arses saying how sorry they were and we'd say

Sorry, no, but enjoy Russia.

Can you imagine what a glorious day that would be?

Sigh.

Poor Russians what have the Russian people done to deserved those people sent to their country
Can we please bring out a law that states all libtards and religious extremists need to board a ship departing in a month's time to, I don't know, Russia? There's enough room. They can spend their days going on, and on about how terribly evil Britain was, and how they'd really rather Hitler have won and going on bouts of periodic outrage each time something new crossed their exploding minds - until of course, they came begging to come back with poppies raining out of their arses saying how sorry they were and we'd say

Sorry, no, but enjoy Russia.

Can you imagine what a glorious day that would be?

Sigh.

Can't say I've ever heard anyone of any political persuasion say that(apart from far-right nutcases).

Can you provide examples?
The social pressure to wear one is very off-putting.

I'd be more inclined to wear one if their scope was limited to remembering the victims (military and civilian) of the First and Second World Wars... but unfortunately it isn't, and I have little respect for the modern armed forces.

Original post by Dez
RBL, the charity that benefits from the poppy appeal each year, directly funds active military conflicts, as well as supporting (UK) veterans.

Another good reason not to buy one.
Reply 109
It doesn't glorify war, it shows respect to those soldiers who died so that we can have the rights we have.
(edited 6 years ago)

I don't see them as heroes. They kill people. They are murderers to me, and they always will be. I'm entitled to my own opinion with that.

So, if a rapist tries to sexually assault a woman & she kills him/her in self defence is she also a murderer in your view?
Original post by Dez
RBL, the charity that benefits from the poppy appeal each year, directly funds active military conflicts, as well as supporting (UK) veterans. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say this is "glorifying war", but all the same, there are arguably better charities out there to be donating your money to.

I don't care that much what other people do, but RBL won't receive a penny of my money.

I'm a tad confused how you can say that the RBL directly funds conflicts. I don't exactly think that they buy Hellfire or Brimstone missiles for the MOD for example.

They provide help to serving members of the UK Armed Forces & Veterans - financial, emotional and social support. I'm not sure how you can think this to be a particularly negative thing to do. If you can find me proof that they directly fund wars then I'd love to see it.
No, it acknowledges the fact that it happened whilst reminding people that we do not want another one.

*Cough* Trump
I always make sure i wear a poppy at this time of year its a sign of respect to the people that died fighting for our freedom
Original post by Tempest II
So, if a rapist tries to sexually assault a woman & she kills him/her in self defence is she also a murderer in your view?

Of course not. For one thing, she didn't opt in on that situation. The military does opt into killing people, at least in this day and age. So, there's not really a comparison to be made there? Of course I don't condone murder, but in the scenario you just gave me you're suggesting that this woman had no other choice, which I respect. The military always have another choice - to just not sign up.
Of course not. For one thing, she didn't opt in on that situation. The military does opt into killing people, at least in this day and age. So, there's not really a comparison to be made there? Of course I don't condone murder, but in the scenario you just gave me you're suggesting that this woman had no other choice, which I respect. The military always have another choice - to just not sign up.

Again, you're speaking from a position of wilful ignorance, not idealism and certainly not facts.

See post #103
Original post by Snufkin
Another good reason not to buy one.

If it were true.

Citation needed.
My cousin has Downs Syndrome - so, yes, I am offended, and I have right to be. I would rather you didn't use that word, not because of PC, but because it's offensive to him and to others who actually suffer from mental disability.

I can wish for what I want, I never said it was feasible. I used to wish I was a flying unicorn, but that never came true. At least I'm working towards what I believe in, you're just screaming words at a webpage.

I'm a history student, I study history, I'm interested in war. I think that a large part of war is just not learning from history's mistakes, which is why I actively support the idea of Remembrance Day. Note I say 'idea'. To me, a lot of people forget what it is about, they call our current military 'heroes' when really they aren't. It's a statement forced on us by peer pressure, not through choice. The red poppy used to be a sign of peace, but I feel like nowadays it's only really political, and we're shamed into wearing it for the fear of not seeming respectful. Honestly, it's a piece of paper. I donated money. Even if I don't necessarily like where it may go, I'm happy to give money towards the cause.

I am grateful. I will not wear a poppy. It goes against my personal beliefs. I am allowed to be grateful for sacrifices made, but I'm allowed to also not want to support our military, or want to glorify war in any way. Even if you personally don't see how a poppy can glorify war, I ask you to watch the news tomorrow, and see how many people refer to our current armed forces, or war veterans from wars that weren't conscripted, as 'heroes'. To me, they are not 'heroes'. They made a choice. A choice to murder people, innocent or not.

I'll also mention a previous point I made - why do we only remember soldiers? Why not people that died back here, on the Home Front? Why don't we remember every schoolchild blown up in Aleppo? The German soldiers who were forced to fight by a police state, and are now forever branded as 'fascists'.? The red poppy is too much of a British symbol for me. When I remember, I will remember everyone who has ever died as a result of war. Every soldier, every woman, every child, every animal.

(Also, I'm an atheist, ex-Christian and against organised religion, sooooooooooooo)

If Hitler had won World 2 your cousin and I would not be alive today as I am a disabled woman. Both myself and your cousin would have been murdered by the Nazis. By the why I hate the retard but a lot people do no know it offensive term for people with mental disabilities.

Is your cousin good at music I have a friend with DS and he amazing violinist.
I don't see why people need to wear something on them to show they remember those who died.
Original post by looloo2134
If Hitler had won World 2

It wasn't only Brittish Soldiers who defeated the Nazi's. The USSR played a vital role in winning WW2, but I don't see anyone wearing their poppy to remember them soldier's who fought for our 'freedoms' and 'rights'.

Latest

Trending

Trending