The Student Room Group

grammar schl -> gd uni??

Does attending a good grammar school affect my acceptance rate for universities such as Oxbridge?
Not in itself, no.
Directly - no, it shouldn't. Oxbridge admissions do not want to be biased based on the schools the applicant attended, however they are likely to compare your results with the results of your cohort, which might *slightly* affect your chances. Getting 3A* 5A at GCSE from a school which got 40% A*-C would look better than getting 3A* 5A at a school where the A*-C ratio is 100% (especially if said results were to be below the average for your school).

They will not accept you purely because you attend a well-established school. It's much more *you* they're interested in.

(tagging @Doonesbury so that in case I said something wrong I get shouted at but you get the correct information.)
Reply 3
Original post by MagicalMedic
Directly - no, it shouldn't. Oxbridge admissions do not want to be biased based on the schools the applicant attended, however they are likely to compare your results with the results of your cohort, which might *slightly* affect your chances. Getting 3A* 5A at GCSE from a school which got 40% A*-C would look better than getting 3A* 5A at a school where the A*-C ratio is 100% (especially if said results were to be below the average for your school).

They will not accept you purely because you attend a well-established school. It's much more *you* they're interested in.

(tagging @Doonesbury so that in case I said something wrong I get shouted at but you get the correct information.)

kk thx

Quick Reply

Latest