The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iwant2die
I’m not trying to spark an argument here as I’m genuinely just asking. I don’t wanna ask someone in person incase I come across as rude or offensive, so if anyone (particularly an asian/muslim) could let me know below [politely] that’d be great

I'm not Asian, but:

I'd say it's religion and culture and not a race thing.

Religion propagates and survives through marriage and producing children to be raised within that faith mostly. Hence the rules governing marriage dictates keeping it within the same faith but does not dictate which race either party identifies themselves with, other than through religious commonality.

Culture, because traditional marriages are arranged, which again, links the couple with religion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Everyone is different some Muslims/Asians won't do something while others will do something. Same with every group/religion...

You can't say.. "Why does X group not do.." especially with something like dating which revolves around an individuals preference
Reply 3
Because it's a thing. They prefer their own kind of people, just like most white people prefer to date their own people.
Original post by Chaz254
Because they're racist. Although not many people will call it what it is, because apparently only whites can be racist.

Lots of people probably the majority of people date/marry those from their background. It isn't racist...
Original post by Chaz254
Because they're racist. Although not many people will call it what it is, because apparently only whites can be racist.

Original post by Chaz254
No lol

Are you racist too?
Original post by Chaz254
Muslims do this far more and are much more strict than all other races/religions. If a Muslim girl dates a white boy or even a girl of any race, she would probably be treated like **** and maybe disowned. Other races/religious families (white etc.) aren't batshit crazy like that.

This is wrong (at least for some people!) My parents would never do that or disown me!
Reply 7
Original post by brownguytorule
Because it's a thing. They prefer their own kind of people, just like most white people prefer to date their own people.

I know that lol. But what I mean is, very rarely you will find an asian and a white couple, or an asian and a black couple. It will always be a white and black couple
Original post by iwant2die
In comparison to other races (ie whites and blacks), asians/muslims don’t date outside their race/religion. Why is this?

Asian culture looks down on dating generally, and the laws of Islam prohibit dating on the most part.

/thread
Why the hell would they want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't believe in the same god? That's stupid.
Not gonna lie, I don't know anyone who is white, who is going out or married to someone who isn't, so I guess it's largely down to personal view. On the other hand, i am from an East Asian family and I am not exaggerating, ALL of my aunts have husbands who are of a different race. The same goes with my friend (muslim), who literally just came back from her uncle's wedding. He got married to a white, christian lady.

Unfortunately, I can say that my parents wouldn't be too happy if I got married to someone who is not my race, but you get that sort of very "traditional" mindset with a lot of the older generation. I can assure you, a lot of old white people wouldn't be too happy if their kids got together with someone outside their race, either. We call it racism now, and I'd say it is. But you can't generalise it to entire groups.
Reply 11
Original post by Anygy
Not gonna lie, I don't know anyone who is white, who is going out or married to someone who isn't, so I guess it's largely down to personal view. On the other hand, i am from an East Asian family and I am not exaggerating, ALL of my aunts have husbands who are of a different race. The same goes with my friend (muslim), who literally just came back from her uncle's wedding. He got married to a white, christian lady.

Unfortunately, I can say that my parents wouldn't be too happy if I got married to someone who is not my race, but you get that sort of very "traditional" mindset with a lot of the older generation. I can assure you, a lot of old white people wouldn't be too happy if their kids got together with someone outside their race, either. We call it racism now, and I'd say it is. But you can't generalise it to entire groups.

I wasn’t generalising. And I’m not saying asians don’t date outside their race at all. I mean in comparison to other races. Look at the statistics on interracial dating - it will 9 times out of 10 always be a white and black couple
Reply 12
Mummy and daddy won't let them.
First of all, dating is prohibited in Islam. Secondly, values or beliefs are very important, thus it’s important to marry someone who has the same belief system, or else you just won’t get on...simple. I’m pretty sure everyone else (whites, since you didn’t mention them) looks for characteristics in a person that mirrors their own?? Why does it always come down to a religious thing lol what
(edited 6 years ago)
What? I know many Muslims who have dated outside their religion/race
Original post by Emerald777O
Why the hell would they want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't believe in the same god? That's stupid.

I'm an atheist and my boyfriend is a Mormon. I don't believe in any God but he does. It's a good relationship.
Original post by Chaz254
What CAN you do in Islam? Seems like you can't do much.

Lmaoooo don’t worry about what I can/cannot do.
because... asian parents. white parents are more open-minded
Reply 18
Take sikhs as an example. If you are devout to your religion of course you want to marry someone who alsois. Imagine how hard that would be for the kids otherwise.... Almost all sikhs are brown hence brown sikhs marrying brown sikhs. It does happen though marriying outside the religion they arent too strict.
Original post by Chaz254

Erm who the hell is racist? It is complex and you just assume it's a general thing

Latest

Trending

Trending