The Student Room Group

What is wrong with me?

I got a bad cold about 2 days ago, headache, stuffy blocked nose, achy body etc.. I took a few aspirins/parcetmol for this.
then suddenely last night what felt like hunger pains woke me up from my sleep. They felt like the kind of hunger pains you get when you haven't eaten for awhile. Only difference is I love my food so I know I ate enough.

This was about 3.30 in the morning so I made myself some toast and still felt hungry after. The only thing that eased it enough for me to nod off back to sleep was a glass of water.

Now, this morning I felt the hunger type pains again (not as strong this time) and I had as cup of tea and it helped. A few hours later I made some chips and chicken nuggets as the pains came back and it has barely helped. I just drank more water and that seemed to help more.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I did do an online check... which scared the crap out of me. As it came back with all-sorts of nasty stuff.

A bit of history

I am normally fit and healthy (other than catching a few colds this year)
Original post by lil minx
I got a bad cold about 2 days ago, headache, stuffy blocked nose, achy body etc.. I took a few aspirins/parcetmol for this.
then suddenely last night what felt like hunger pains woke me up from my sleep. They felt like the kind of hunger pains you get when you haven't eaten for awhile. Only difference is I love my food so I know I ate enough.

This was about 3.30 in the morning so I made myself some toast and still felt hungry after. The only thing that eased it enough for me to nod off back to sleep was a glass of water.

Now, this morning I felt the hunger type pains again (not as strong this time) and I had as cup of tea and it helped. A few hours later I made some chips and chicken nuggets as the pains came back and it has barely helped. I just drank more water and that seemed to help more.

I did do an online check... which scared the crap out of me. As it came back with all-sorts of nasty stuff.

A bit of history

What do you mean hunger pains? indigestion to you are hungry. Be wary of self diagnosing via internet. If you start to suffer severe pain or serious symptoms then go and see your GP.
maybe being ill is just burning through your energy quickly so you need more food?
Are you getting stomache pains cos you are hungry?

A bit of history

Its it continues, go and see your GP
Reply 5

A bit of history

Sounds like you have a cold which is burning off your energy and making you hungry or giving you a bit of a sensitive tummy.
Not much you can do about a cold other than stay cosy, rest and wait. If it does get really bothersome though you can call/ pop into a pharmacy.
Doctors can't really do anything about colds so no use seeing them unless you think it's developed past being just a cold or has lasted longer than a cold should. You can always ask at a pharmacy if you're not sure if you should be seeing a doc.

Anyway, I suggest you snuggle up in bed with some snacks and a big drink and make sure you eat well at meal times. Maybe have a warm bath or a warm herbal tea too. You should feel better soon enough.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
What do you mean hunger pains? indigestion to you are hungry. Be wary of self diagnosing via internet. If you start to suffer severe pain or serious symptoms then go and see your GP.

I mean I am suffering from the type of pain you get when you are really hungry, you know the type of pain that makes you feel a bit sickly and usually goes when you've eaten. Only with this when I eat it doesn't go at all. Only seems to ease with water and drinks. It's not indigestion I know how that feels and it feels more like i'm constantly hungry.. only way I can explain. I have no other symptoms other than having a cold.

I've got an appointment with my doc on Tuesday, just wanted a bit of advice till then.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Simonthegreat
Are you getting stomache pains cos you are hungry?

No don't think so as I am eating loads and no amount of food eases the hunger pains. It's really strange.. I'm eating like a pig as well.
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Sounds like you have a cold which is burning off your energy and making you hungry or giving you a bit of a sensitive tummy.
Not much you can do about a cold other than stay cosy, rest and wait. If it does get really bothersome though you can call/ pop into a pharmacy.
Doctors can't really do anything about colds so no use seeing them unless you think it's developed past being just a cold or has lasted longer than a cold should. You can always ask at a pharmacy if you're not sure if you should be seeing a doc.

Anyway, I suggest you snuggle up in bed with some snacks and a big drink and make sure you eat well at meal times. Maybe have a warm bath or a warm herbal tea too. You should feel better soon enough.

Thanks this is good advice. Maybe the hunger pains are a side effect to the cold. It's just weird though as I've never experienced them before in such an intense way that food will not ease them or make them go away. Maybe it is like you said - the cold burning into my energy supply. I hadn't thought of that.
Reply 9
Thanks this is good advice. Maybe the hunger pains are a side effect to the cold. It's just weird though as I've never experienced them before in such an intense way that food will not ease them or make them go away. Maybe it is like you said - the cold burning into my energy supply. I hadn't thought of that.

If food won't help it's probably not hunger pains. The cold might be giving you a bit of an irritated stomach. Ibuprofen can also irritate your stomach so if you're still taking them I would see how it goes if you stop.
Might be worth asking a pharmacist for some advice. They may know some good ways to reduce it.
If it's a cramp-like pain then peppermint (tea, tablets, sweets) and warmth (bath or heat pad/ bag) could help too. Could also be a good idea to eat some plainer foods or avoid any you know can irritate you.

Again though, doesn't sound concerning as long as you aren't in agony, bleeding from anywhere or experiencing anything else very odd and it doesn't last too long. If it's still around after like a week I'd book to see your GP just to be safe.
Colds, stomach aches and those sorts of things just happen sometimes and usually sort themselves out in a few days.

Hope that helps and that you feel better soon :smile:
Feed a cold, starve a fever! Make sure you are eating properly. And drink water(maybe with lemon)
stop the asprin. take some antacid meds and see if that helps. eat some carb rich foods to boost your energy.

Quick Reply

Latest