The Student Room Group

my hamster is walking weird :(

hey, my hamster is walking pretty weird lately. he is very old. in a month he will be 2 years old. but since a while ago he started walking with his butt lifted up? before he walks he just lifts up his butt and then starts walking. it seems pretty uncomfortable and I don't know if I should be worried about this? is it because he is an old hamster? or is it really something to worry about? I couldn't find anything on the internet about this

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by justaquestion90
hey, my hamster is walking pretty weird lately. he is very old. in a month he will be 2 years old. but since a while ago he started walking with his butt lifted up? before he walks he just lifts up his butt and then starts walking. it seems pretty uncomfortable and I don't know if I should be worried about this? is it because he is an old hamster? or is it really something to worry about? I couldn't find anything on the internet about this

Best to check with a vet. He may have hurt his leg or something. Pets at home have a vet.
Here's a link where you might find the answer:
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/90407-hamster-walking-funny/

I suggest taking your hamster to the vet before anything terrible happens. :frown:
Original post by Kindred
Best to check with a vet. He may have hurt his leg or something. Pets at home have a vet.

i was thinking about that, I just wanted to know if it wasn't some kind of aging thing. but I guess I have to go to the vet. thanks!
Original post by badmathkid
Here's a link where you might find the answer:
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/90407-hamster-walking-funny/

I suggest taking your hamster to the vet before anything terrible happens. :frown:

well I just changed my hamster from a small cage to a big cage, but he has been walking like this when I gave him another cage. but he has been kinda sick a lot. he had a tumor which suddenly just disappeared and he got another virus. I guess I have to go to the vet indeed :frown: thank you!
well I just changed my hamster from a small cage to a big cage, but he has been walking like this when I gave him another cage. but he has been kinda sick a lot. he had a tumor which suddenly just disappeared and he got another virus. I guess I have to go to the vet indeed :frown: thank you!

Oh no. :frown: Have you tried putting him back in his old cage but just cleaned it? I hope it's nothing serious and he gets better soon!
Buy him crutches 0_o
Oh no. :frown: Have you tried putting him back in his old cage but just cleaned it? I hope it's nothing serious and he gets better soon!

I havent tried that yet. but I will! I also hopes it is nothing serious. I lost my other 2 hamster on the same day because they were sick and I really don't want that to happen to him too :frown:

Please take him to the vet if you think something may be wrong! A vet will be far more useful and accurate than anyone on TSR! Especially since the vet will be able to physically see the problem.
Original post by liquidconfidence
Buy him crutches 0_o

:O the problem is that something is odd with both of his legs 0_o so I would have to buy him a mini wheelchair
I havent tried that yet. but I will! I also hopes it is nothing serious. I lost my other 2 hamster on the same day because they were sick and I really don't want that to happen to him too :frown:

Awhh!! :frown: All the best for your hamster! I'm sure he'll be fine. :smile: Take him to the vet as soon as possible.
Original post by Chaz254
Please take him to the vet if you think something may be wrong! A vet will be far more useful and accurate than anyone on TSR! Especially since the vet will be able to physically see the problem.

That is true! and I really have considered taking him to the vet but I remember seeing a video a few months ago about a hamster that walked the same way mine does now. so I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just something silly that an old hamster does. but since no one knows it I am definitely going to the vet!
Awhh!! :frown: All the best for your hamster! I'm sure he'll be fine. :smile: Take him to the vet as soon as possible.

I will! sadly that has to be next weekend :frown: but he is a though hamster so he will make that :smile:
That is true! and I really have considered taking him to the vet but I remember seeing a video a few months ago about a hamster that walked the same way mine does now. so I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just something silly that an old hamster does. but since no one knows it I am definitely going to the vet!

Yeah it's better to be safe than sorry with pets health and comfort 😀
I will! sadly that has to be next weekend :frown: but he is a though hamster so he will make that :smile:

What a brave hamster. :biggrin: I wish him all the best!

Hi I'm a hamster psychologist, I'm afraid to tell you your hamster has social-cryptoamnesia.
Original post by Chaz254
Yeah it's better to be safe than sorry with pets health and comfort 😀

true! they may be small but they can mean a lot
What a brave hamster. :biggrin: I wish him all the best!

thanks :biggrin: and I might be able to go to the vet earlier (not sure kinda complicated) but I will go asap!
Original post by JamesGardiner96
Hi I'm a hamster psychologist, I'm afraid to tell you your hamster has social-cryptoamnesia.

what does that mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending