The Student Room Group

18 years old from Germany Can I do A-Levels in UK?

Hello,
I‘m from Germany and I have been living in the UK for 8 months now. I went to school in Germany and I didn’t continue my school after I was 16 and got my „normal“ graduation. I would like to study at the university but for that my graduation isn’t enough. I’m not sure how my level of graduation is called here in the UK. Can I go to school here to do my A-Levels?
I know city college in Norwich allows you to sit the examination as an external candidate
most a level colleges only accept 16-18 year olds, you'd have to find a college that accepted 'mature' students or study privately and find an exam centre
Reply 3
Original post by Lisa11425273
I know city college in Norwich allows you to sit the examination as an external candidate

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it’s expensive? I’m living in London at the moment. Do you have an idea where I could inform myself about the schools here?
Original post by KhadijaMM
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it’s expensive? I’m living in London at the moment. Do you have an idea where I could inform myself about the schools here?
I doubt it’s expensive. Just look up the schools and they all have contact details where you can mail them or call them
You have free further education so i guess all you need to do is get all of your grades from Germany and convert them to GCSE grades and look for a college at your ability. Seems easy but you can inform your local authority and they can help you from there. Sorry if that is wrong... I am from up North and that's how they do it here...
Hello,
I‘m from Germany and I have been living in the UK for 8 months now. I went to school in Germany and I didn’t continue my school after I was 16 and got my „normal“ graduation. I would like to study at the university but for that my graduation isn’t enough. I’m not sure how my level of graduation is called here in the UK. Can I go to school here to do my A-Levels?

Have you got GCSE's/equivalent
Reply 7
Original post by liquidconfidence

I‘m sorry I’m really not sure what GCSE means. I really don’t have any knowledge about the school system in the UK :frown: is it the qualification to be allowed to do A Levels?
Reply 8
Original post by Taz554:-)
You have free further education so i guess all you need to do is get all of your grades from Germany and convert them to GCSE grades and look for a college at your ability. Seems easy but you can inform your local authority and they can help you from there. Sorry if that is wrong... I am from up North and that's how they do it here...

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Thanks for your reply :smile:

NW and hopefully it helped!:smile:
I‘m sorry I’m really not sure what GCSE means. I really don’t have any knowledge about the school system in the UK :frown: is it the qualification to be allowed to do A Levels?

In some ways, they are the qualifications you take when you are 16, right before you finish Secondary school. Maths, English, Science (Biology, Chemistry,Physics) are compulsory. In some schools so is RE.
If you have a level 2 qualification which is equivalent to GCSE in Maths, English and at least three other subjects (A*-C) you will be able to study A-levels.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ich glaube, dass du das alleine zu Hause machen muss, und dann kannst du die Prüfungen in einem privaten Prüfungszentrum machen. Es kostet aber ein bisschen, aber es lohnt sich. Also Fächer wie Chemie und Biologie sind etwas schwieriger, weil es so viele wissenschaftliche Praktika gibt. Aber Fächer wie Englisch und Mathe werden etwas leichter sein. Viel Glück!

Hello,

Yes you do, Mittlere Reife is GCSE equivalent.

Aber warum du jetzt in England sein willst...und 30k Pfund fuer eine Ausbildung auszugeben. lol
Reply 13
In some ways, they are the qualifications you take when you are 16, right before you finish Secondary school. Maths, English, Science (Biology, Chemistry,Physics) are compulsory. In some schools so is RE.
If you have a level 2 qualification which is equivalent to GCSE in Maths, English and at least three other subjects (A*-C) you will be able to study A-levels.

In Germany I had the qualification to do the „Abitur“ (which is The same like A-Levels). In all the school subjects which you have stated I‘ve got an A or B on my final school Report.
Reply 14
Original post by yudothis
Yes you do, Mittlere Reife is GCSE equivalent.

Aber warum du jetzt in England sein willst...und 30k Pfund fuer eine Ausbildung auszugeben. lol

Danke für die Antwort. Es geht momentan nicht anders als hier zu sein und ich möchte trotzdem unbedingt weiter zur Schule gehen. Warum kostet eine Ausbildung 30k? Wie meinst du das?
In Germany I had the qualification to do the „Abitur“ (which is The same like A-Levels). In all the school subjects which you have stated I‘ve got an A or B on my final school Report.

Great! All you need to do now is find a further education college.
Reply 16
Original post by Sweetpeasw
Ich glaube, dass du das alleine zu Hause machen muss, und dann kannst du die Prüfungen in einem privaten Prüfungszentrum machen. Es kostet aber ein bisschen, aber es lohnt sich. Also Fächer wie Chemie und Biologie sind etwas schwieriger, weil es so viele wissenschaftliche Praktika gibt. Aber Fächer wie Englisch und Mathe werden etwas leichter sein. Viel Glück!

Da muss ich mich unbedingt mal informieren. Vielen vielen Dank :smile:
Danke für die Antwort. Es geht momentan nicht anders als hier zu sein und ich möchte trotzdem unbedingt weiter zur Schule gehen. Warum kostet eine Ausbildung 30k? Wie meinst du das?

In England kostet die Uni £9000 im Jahr, für 3 Jahre.

Und ok, dann mach das, Schule ist wichtig :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by yudothis
In England kostet die Uni £9000 im Jahr, für 3 Jahre.

Und ok, dann mach das, Schule ist wichtig :wink:

Weißt du vielleicht ob ich mit den A-Levels in Deutschland studieren könnte, falls ich irgendwann mal zurück gehe? :smile:
Weißt du vielleicht ob ich mit den A-Levels in Deutschland studieren könnte, falls ich irgendwann mal zurück gehe? :smile:

Sicher. Ist ja Abitur equivalent.

Quick Reply

Latest