The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kitkat1234567
Have they started giving interviews out yet do you know?

no sorry i don’t think they have yet - i know they tend to tell international students about interviews before home ones but they are probably still marking the nsaa
Original post by Bonnie96xo
Can someone on this thread please help I’m wanting to become a vet but I don’t any qualifications I mean none :/ however Ive contacted loads of veterinary practices around my area and a little further nobody seems to want some volunteer work I feel like giving up but it’s driving me nuts because I really want to do it and prove people who say I can’t wrong I also have 2 small kids and 2 dogs and 2horses so I’m pretty busy Lol anyway can someone help this severely irritated person I understand I have zero chance I’m interested in equine side but I know I have to do small animals aswell please help!!!

If you want to become a veterinary nurse, you can do that without any qualifications by taking the vocational route (Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing). This can either be done full time at a college or part-time while volunteering at a vet practice. This is by far the easiest way to get into working in a practice.

If you definitely want to become a vet, look into studying for an Access course in Science. They are the equivalent of A Levels and most unis will accept them so long as you meet their Access grade entry requirements. There are a few vet courses that don't accept Access courses, though. You can either study one at a college or online. That will give you a chance at getting into vet school at university.
Original post by AllenMegan
Found this off the Liverpool guidance notes if this helps anyone:

"Performance at interview is scored and the top scoring applicants will receive an offer for a place."

Thanks😊
Original post by Viapurifico
If you want to become a veterinary nurse, you can do that without any qualifications by taking the vocational route (Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing). This can either be done full time at a college or part-time while volunteering at a vet practice. This is by far the easiest way to get into working in a practice.

If you definitely want to become a vet, look into studying for an Access course in Science. They are the equivalent of A Levels and most unis will accept them so long as you meet their Access grade entry requirements. There are a few vet courses that don't accept Access courses, though. You can either study one at a college or online. That will give you a chance at getting into vet school at university.

Thank you for getting back to me your a star
No, they give you a date and time to attend.

Original post by annaxoxo
Hey guys, everyone invited for an interview for Edinburgh, are you given an option for the interview date or?
You need to get GCSEs normally 5 A grade including Chen, bio, phys or maths.Then do an Access course in science or A levels. You need mainly distinctions (Surrey 39D and 6M) A level all A to AAB I think is typical? I did Access so not sure :smile:Get work exp, as much as possible in small and large vets, as well as farms and other areas of animal work. Get proper references!I have a little girl and am going for vet 2018. If you set your heart to it and keep going to get all the qualifications you can do it :smile:
When u say access course, what do u mean? Just curious.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I was wondering when this thread would arrive, welcome :h:

I'm a first year at the RVC now so feel free to shoot me any questions about applying/vet school in general. :smile:

My dream is of becoming a vet and I’m in year 11 currently do you think I should go to a private or state school college for A levels, how many people on your course are from either?
Original post by Kathy12321
My dream is of becoming a vet and I’m in year 11 currently do you think I should go to a private or state school college for A levels, how many people on your course are from either?

It will not make any difference. Universities do not choose applicants based on 'private or state school'.

They base decisions on grades - and aptitude.

Grades, work experience and attributes are the MOST important aspects to your application, not your college😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi everyone, I’m a first year vet student at Bristol, good luck to all their applying this year !! Here to help answer any questions you might have when it comes to applying, interviews, work experience and any questions about the course, feel free to PM me of reply to this thread
Original post by idree5
When u say access course, what do u mean? Just curious.

An Access to University diploma. It's the equivalent of A Levels for people who've been out of education for five years or more and can be completed in a year. It's pretty intense (it's what I'm doing).
Anyone with an offer/rejection from Bristol, how long did you have to wait for a decision after submitting the WEPAPA? I just submitted mine and haven't yet got the conformation e-mail, how long did you have to wait for this? Thanks!
Original post by Willowhazel
Hi everyone, I’m a first year vet student at Bristol, good luck to all their applying this year !! Here to help answer any questions you might have when it comes to applying, interviews, work experience and any questions about the course, feel free to PM me of reply to this thread

I have two questions! 1) What does your timetable look like?

And 2) I know Bristol said they're not interviewing this year, but in the admissions statement they said they might if you're a mature student. So what was your interview like? Did you have to do any tests or answer any theoretical questions? Or was it just a chat about what you wrote in your PS?
Wow I had no idea such a thing existed. That's such a brilliant idea! Which access course are you doing.
Original post by idree5
Wow I had no idea such a thing existed. That's such a brilliant idea! Which access course are you doing.

Biomedical Science with the distance learning centre online. :h:
Booked my Liverpool interview😊

Majority are from state schools. If you are driven and motivated enough, it doesn't matter which one you go to
Original post by 11euni-b
Anyone with an offer/rejection from Bristol, how long did you have to wait for a decision after submitting the WEPAPA? I just submitted mine and haven't yet got the conformation e-mail, how long did you have to wait for this? Thanks!

I haven’t got a decision from Bristol but I got my confirmation email 3 weeks after sending the WEPAPA form
Original post by Viapurifico
I have two questions! 1) What does your timetable look like?

And 2) I know Bristol said they're not interviewing this year, but in the admissions statement they said they might if you're a mature student. So what was your interview like? Did you have to do any tests or answer any theoretical questions? Or was it just a chat about what you wrote in your PS?

Hi, glad to her you’ve applied to Bristol it’s a good choice 😂 my timetable surprised me actually, I was terrified it would be 9-5 all day every day but it isn’t. It does near hugely like no week is the same both content and schedule wise. But you can expect mostly 9am and some 10 am starts in a week, normally end up with 2 half days in a week when I’ll finish between 12-2, and the other 3 days (one of those being Langford) finish between 4-5. You always get an hour for lunch during the day. Also I found that very few days consist of all lectures, there is a lot of labs/practicals as well.

In terms of interview, assuming it was the same as mine. The face to face was heavily orientated on your personal statement so make sure you know that really really well, and know a extra info about certain cases as they may ask about them. Perhaps having a few ideas about current veterinary affairs is also worthwhile.

For the MMIs can’t give much advice rather than read any instructions very carefully (I made that mistake and messed up a station), keep calm and as soon as one station is over forget it. I screwed one of mine up and I still got in !!

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending