The Student Room Group

What is the new BTEC business extended diploma like?

Guys I need your help in not sure if I should choose the new Btec business as I am told there are now exams. Plz help!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Solbusiness
The new BTEC extended Diploma level 3 is an excellent course to learn about Business. I have learned probably 5 x as much as someone doing a level Business would have. The assignments are straight forward and easy. This is the opposite for the exams but it is not difficult, only lengthy and very time consuming. If you are scared of exams, I am sorry to say education may not be the best possible option for your future.

Thank you for the reply. How many units do you do and are you in a sixth form in east London??
Reply 3
We are doing 13 units of which 6 was done on the first year and no not east but west london.

What are you planning to do when you finish sixth form
This year is the last before going to university. July 2018 is the last day of sixth form I think.

Anyone from your class got a Distinction in the exams?
No it was all mainly passes and merits but thats because most people barely attended lessons that much

Ah, same here.
Can anyone help me with the 2nd year of this?
What do you mean by that?

I’m doing my second year of btec level 3 extended diploma in business and I’m finding the assignments really difficult!
They are not difficult, you are approaching it wrong, the assignment questions are not obstacles or source of severe stress, you have to realize what it aims to do which is teach you in depth the areas of business. I too found it hard until I bought the BTEC national 2016 specification book from amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BTEC-Nationals-Business-Student-Book-ebook/dp/B01MTA2OT5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516902950&sr=8-2&keywords=btec+national+business+student+book+1

I have both book 1 and 2 which shows me the direction and knowledge needed to write assignments. All the information in this book is also on the internet however it would take 30 hours of research+ to find these info on the net which is why using the book to write assignments is a lot faster.

The BTEC pearson specification is very clear on what they want you to include: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Business/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446938249_BTECNationals_Bus_ExDip_Spec_Iss3C.pdf

That contains the answers to assignments questions indirectly, so if an pass criteria is asking for types of training, the specification highlights internal and external training etc which is exactly what they want you to include when writing assignments.

The reason you are finding it difficult is because you are over thinking and spending too much time on these assignments. I never spent over 4 days on each assignment and have all distinctions so far, you need to work efficiently and smartly. This means optimizing your workplace like I have 2 computer monitors, one to read info on the internet, the other is a word document to write them in my own words. There is also a pattern you can use to write assignments, search how to answer evaluative questions which is something like write the advantages, disadvantages and then a conclusion. Key words you can use are mainly transition words, In fact I have a word document with all the transition words you can ever find and aim to use at least 2 in every paragraph to keep information short and concise.

Thanks so much! This is brilliant advice! I will definitely be buying the books. I’m pretty much just stressing a lot because I was off before Christmas for 2/3 weeks from pneumonia and missed out on so much teaching. I’ be caught up on every unit except for one and it’s really stressing me out but I just need to learn to not think so much into it.
Reply 9
You can do it! I finished my BTEC programme last August. :smile:
Reply 10
Hi what's your business timetable how many lessons
We are doing 13 units of which 6 was done on the first year and no not east but west london.

Hi what's your business timetable how many lessons

Quick Reply

Latest