The 'I really need to get my life together' GCSE blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clouddbubbles
meghan dont worryyyy
we all have unproductive days
you have 18 days to motivate yourself

you’re amazing
and u can do it!

Aww thank you, I legit just smiled at my computer screen.

We can all do it; let's smash these goddamn *profanity* exams!! *tribal scream* WOOOO
Original post by troubletracking
Aww thank you, I legit just smiled at my computer screen.

We can all do it; let's smash these goddamn *profanity* exams!! *tribal scream* WOOOO

aw that’s good

YES YOU CAN DO IT
AND I CAN
BUT I DONT HAVE MOCKS CAUSE IM y10!!
anywayyssss
LETS ALL BE POSITIVE
lmaoo I guess we'll find that out after these mocks ahah

Hey. Mindset largely contributes to productivity. You're gonna smash those exams. CAN I GET AN ENTHUSIASTIC NOD OF MOTIVATION OVER HERE
(edited 6 years ago)
Saturday, 11th November 2017
Days until mocks: 16

Hello, my name is Meghan and I am
dra
mat
ic.

Really. Thursday's update was just uncalled for.

So I've lost my Duolingo streak but not my motivation. Not yet anyway.

It’s eleven in the morning and I'm still in my pyjamas. I went to bed at like ten yesterday which I legit don’t think I've done since I was eleven, and I'm not feeling quite as refreshed as I thought I would. I thought this weekend would be one long revision session, until I realised just how much homework I've got to do so my plans have pretty much just crashed and burned. Oh well, half of my homework should count towards revision anyway.

Mocks are just over two weeks away and it’s time to get it together.

Although this week might not have been the most productive week of my life, it’s made me realise some things about myself and so the revision plan will be changed accordingly.

Things I've learnt:

I can’t work in short bursts. Longer periods work best because it takes me a while to focus, but when I do I can sustain that concentration for longer.

I struggle to cover 4 topics in one day. In fact, I can barely do 2. For the real thing, this won’t be so much a problem because the topics will be shorter because I'll be doing topics instead of whole modules. But for now, I need to condense stuff.

I will not have time to cover everything. It’s a fact now; there’s no way I'll be able to cover every single thing on the spec in detail.

I need to stop going to bed at 1am

Things I’m going to change:

I won’t include timings on my revision plan. Some things take longer, some things take a less amount of time. As long as it gets done, I'm not too fussed.

I’m only aiming to cover two units a day, max. Maybe more on the weekends, but not much more than 3 or 4. I’m a slow worker, I've realised (don’t know how I didn’t notice earlier seeing as I'm a slow everything), so it’d take me two hours to just do one unit.

Primrose Kitten has some great videos condensed units for the sciences, so I'll watch them and only go over things that I don’t understand/ don’t remember. The worst form of procrastination is revising stuff you already know to avoid doing the hard stuff you don’t, and it’s the worst because it feels like you’re revising, except you’re really not.

All work must be finished by 9pm. That’s two whole hours to faff around with power chords or youtube or whatever. I need to be asleep by 11 (maybe half 11 at a push)

I’m not going to aim to do much work on a Friday. It’s habit I suppose: my dad always told me not to do homework on a Friday, and I come home later on a Friday (cloud 9 maths club wooo) so I'm pretty much dead by then. Most of all, I can’t be bothered. So Friday will become Friday Frenchday. I’ll do a large chunk of Memrise (I’ve literally only learnt 80 words and there’s about 2000 to know arghhh) and go over some irregular verbs (still don’t know when to use the imperfect and when to use passé compose)

A big bit of gossip in school yesterday was that my geography teacher leaked the mock exam dates. She told her form when she wasn’t supposed to, and her form told loads of over people, and now everyone has pictures of the exam dates, so at least I can prioritise stuff now. I have English literature paper 1 first, and I'm not sure if I'm relieved or dreading it. English is supposed to be my ‘best’ subject, so I feel the most pressure to get an 8/9 in that one, but at least it’s out of the way.

For anyone wondering, The Great A-Level Crisis of 2017™ is still in full swing. I thought I had it down until last week when I went to a college open evening and a biology teacher told me not to bother with biology because there are no transferrable skills between biology and history and English literature. I’m aware I can’t do anything sciencey with biology on its own (throwback to The Great Chemistry Conundrum of September 2017™), but now I’m thinking of taking English language instead, though I'm quite weary I won’t like the course because it’s very different from GCSE and I actually liked the GCSE course so now I'm stuck. I want to take all four, but I've been advised numerous times not to do that and I'm also pretty sure I'd drown in worksheets if I took four, too, but I'm thinking I should take four and drop the one I like least within the first month. Idk, this would be so much easier if I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Arghhhh

*bangs head on table repeatedly* why can’t I just want to be a doctor like everyone else on TSR?!

See. Sounds like you're getting to grips with what works best for you. There's no better time to sort out your revision methods than mock period. Saves you all the stress for the real exams. Nice one man.
Original post by clouddbubbles
aw that’s good

YES YOU CAN DO IT
AND I CAN
BUT I DONT HAVE MOCKS CAUSE IM y10!!
anywayyssss
LETS ALL BE POSITIVE

Original post by AlbabA
Hey. Mindset largely contributes to productivity. You're gonna smash those exams. CAN I GET AN ENTHUSIASTIC NOD OF MOTIVATION OVER HERE

YESSS, LET'S DO THIS! I CAN DO IT; YOU CAN DO IT; WE ALL CAN DAMN DO IT

*aggressively streaks blue paint across face with fingers, stares with determination into the void*

THESE EXAMS WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT THEM
LoViNg ThE PoSiTiViTy
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AlbabA
See. Sounds like you're getting to grips with what works best for you. There's no better time to sort out your revision methods than mock period. Saves you all the stress for the real exams. Nice one man.

My strategy is to see what works best before the exams, and then apply that during March or whenever. Thank you for your continued support; I appreciate it more than I can convey using an online forum website and animated emojis.:h:
My strategy is to see what works best before the exams, and then apply that during March or whenever. Thank you for your continued support; I appreciate it more than I can convey using an online forum website and animated emojis.:h:

Sounds like a plan and hey, you're helping me out with this forum too - motivation is contagious :P

That made me smile, you're welcome:smile:
This is probably the best GYG forum there is on TSR. Very relatable, but my target grades are mostly 6's with a few 7's. Keep up the good work, you are doing an amazing job, and you will easily become an inspiration to TSR! :smile:
Original post by ReadilySalted
This is probably the best GYG forum there is on TSR. Very relatable, but my target grades are mostly 6's with a few 7's. Keep up the good work, you are doing an amazing job, and you will easily become an inspiration to TSR! :smile:

Right? And mate, I have friends with targets of 6's that are aiming for all 8's and a few 9's. Prove em wrong✊
Original post by AlbabA
Right? And mate, I have friends with targets of 6's that are aiming for all 8's and a few 9's. Prove em wrong✊

I will try my hardest and best! What do you mean by "right?"??
I will try my hardest and best! What do you mean by "right?"??

Fabulous.

Right as in I know right!
Original post by AlbabA
Fabulous.

Right as in I know right!

Oh right, ok sorry for that. I am going to try my vvvvv hardest this year, don't care wether people call me a 'try hard', it's time to up my game and try to get those outstanding grades! Good luck everyone who are going to take the GCSE exams in 2018!
Oh right, ok sorry for that. I am going to try my vvvvv hardest this year, don't care wether people call me a 'try hard', it's time to up my game and try to get those outstanding grades! Good luck everyone who are going to take the GCSE exams in 2018!

Good attitude.

Hello, my name is Meghan, I'm a mess but very good at hiding it, I like to ramble (but I'm sure you’ll find that out in due time anyway) and, as the title says, I need to get my life together.

Welcome to my GYG blog. You’re probably here because you’re procrastinating revising. So am I.

So recently, I've been having an all time low on the motivation front, so what’s going to motivate me to get off my laptop and study? You guessed it, nothing less than public humiliation.

Mocks are just around the corner and, although I always have the motivation to revise when I actually need to, I always struggle to get it done just to get ahead. I've felt like I've been struggling stay afloat during the first two months of year eleven, so now is the perfect time to get into a good routine so it’s not such a shock in February.I was supposed to make year 9 and 10 flashcards over summer, but whelp that never happened and I'm also supposed to be making year 11 flashcards as I go, but whelp that’s not happening either.

So, uh, the basics I guess

The grades:

Spoiler

The mocks:

Spoiler

Yeah, I know, overambitious much. This time last year I wanted 9 9s, but all my optimism has crashed and burned since September, so we’re being a bit more realistic now. Okay, maybe I lowkey want all 8s, but I'm just trying to keep my expectations fairly low so I'm not inevitably disappointed on results day. Honestly, I'm just going to try and aim for as many 9s and not try and pinpoint my exact grades (she says, pinpointing her exact grades).

To be frank, a solid 73% of this blog will be me insulting maths. And physics. Definitely physics.

Pointless information about me:

Spoiler

I’m about 61% nervous, 32% excited and 17% sure I won’t meet my maths target, but, hey, let’s do this!

I took exactly the same subjects as you when I did my gcses (I'm in Year 13 rn) apart from the fact I took German instead of French. I ended up getting 11A* including an A^ and 2As so it went well. The tips I'd give you is keep up the hard work and do lots of past papers :smile:
And it's ok to be ambitious lol
P.s. Plural of Crisis is Crises :wink:
Sunday, 12th November 2017
Days until mocks: 14

"Finish work at nine," she said.
"It's time to get my life together," she said.

You join me at 23:44 on a Sunday evening. I've just finished my geography homework and I've just been informed my friend that I've only done half the biology homework. But I really don't have the effort to correct another exam paper right now and I'm 89.65% sure my teacher's not going to mark either of them, so I'm pretty zen right now.
Strangely, scarily zen right now, with mocks two weeks away and about 3% of my revision complete.

Sometimes I wonder how people manage to have relaxing Sunday evenings before school.
Sunday, 12th November 2017
Days until mocks: 14

"Finish work at nine," she said.
"It's time to get my life together," she said.

You join me at 23:44 on a Sunday evening. I've just finished my geography homework and I've just been informed my friend that I've only done half the biology homework. But I really don't have the effort to correct another exam paper right now and I'm 89.65% sure my teacher's not going to mark either of them, so I'm pretty zen right now.
Strangely, scarily zen right now, with mocks two weeks away and about 3% of my revision complete.

Sometimes I wonder how people manage to have relaxing Sunday evenings before school.

Hey Meghan!
Good luck for your mocks, i know you will do well cos your a genius so don't worry!
On Sunday's i do the homework i wasnt bothered to do on Friday( cough cough* french* cough cough) or simply forgot because i never use my planner lol. So very "relaxing" Sunday for me due to the "mini" 150 essay my french teacher gave us.....yay
Not that much to do as you can see, i have all the free time in the world..........
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A.N123
Hey Meghan!
Good luck for your mocks, i know you will do well cos your a genius so don't worry!
On Sunday's i do the homework i wasnt bothered to do on Friday( cough cough* french* cough cough) or simply forgot because i never use my planner lol. So very "relaxing" Sunday for me due to the "mini" 150 essay my french teacher gave us.....yay
Not that much to do as you can see, i have all the free time in the world..........

Haha thank you, although I'm not sure that's true:colondollar:
Yeah, I used to write every element of my life in my planner in year 7, and now I occasionally write my chemistry homework or something in it if I can be bothered.
*sigh* At least we're both in the Sunday night panic together:tongue:
Monday, 13th November 2017
Days until mocks: 13 (oh, merde)

Today has been mildly productive. I'm pretty sure everything I've ever done is mildly something. And I think I'd rather do a proper job or not do it at all instead of doing a half arsed job. As per.

So today's roundup:

Physics:
I've legit spent three days ploughing through P1 and i'M STILL NOT FRICKING DONE YET. Ugh, it's so dull and equation this and energy transfer that, that I'm actually lowkey looking forward to revising P4 because I love me a bit of radiation.
English:
I got out my essay to do that's due on Friday. Then I annotated the extract, thought "nah", put it away and got out my Inspector Calls Act 1 flashcards instead. Oh well. Better than nothing.
French:
Did all but the last page of my French reading paper I had to do for homework. I didn't find it too bad, but there were quite a few "wtf, ima just guess" moments, so I'm hoping my guessing powers are strong enough to get me over 70%. I found out my French speaking exam is a week earlier than all my other exams (so next week), so I really should start to prepare for that. Controversially, I always perform better in speaking exams because they stress me out so much I do 4x more revision than I would for a writing. I've also upped the ante on Memrise by trying to do 15 minutes daily instead of 5 because I worked out the other day that I need to roughly learn 12 words a day to get all the vocab learnt, so I've got my work cut out.

I haven't done any maths revision since Saturday since I got annoyed with myself over simultaneous equations. I then dropped a maths revision guide on my foot which tore a gash in my toe (bit graphic soz) so I'm a little hesitant to try and tackle it again. I will though. I really don't have much of a choice.

I'm trying to work out my priorities. Top of the list is maths, closely followed by physics and chemistry (doing quantitive chemistry at the moment which is literally maths on legs and actual H E L L), then history and biology (and geoggers on the end). My lowest priority subjects are French and English literature because I'll probably be able to blag my way through them. Not saying I won't revise for them, because I definitely will, just saying it's a lot harder to BS your way through a maths exam than it is an English exam.
that last line is very true!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending