The Student Room Group

Welsh council murders noble cat

This is a very sad story. A beautiful, noble lynx escaped from a Welsh "animal kingdom" (or zoo, as they are known elsewhere). It was on the run for two weeks. I would emphasise, there are no known reports ever of a lynx attacking a human.

The council decided to hire a marksman and have the lynx shot. They could have tranquilised the poor creature, but instead decided it had to die :frown:

Picture below of Lilith. Rest in peace, noble lynx.
(Also see the next post below)

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here's an amazing YouTube video of a pet lynx (this woman does have a licence for it as Max the Lynx is an animal ambassador). Isn't he just adorable?

It's like his face is a cross between a lion and a monkey, and he has a little lamb's tail. And look at those big paws!! Too cute.

[video="youtube;pxNSkF_lJT0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxNSkF_lJT0[/video]
I would highly inquire as to why there is an airborne multi-rotary vehicle - or, as the unwashed masses might refer to it as, a "drone" - exquisitely placed in the right cleft of the colour image embedded in your forum post?

Is this foul technological construction responsible for the noble creature's death?
#firstharambenowlilith
Original post by AngeryPenguin
I would highly inquire as to why there is an airborne multi-rotary vehicle - or, as the unwashed masses might refer to it as, a "drone" - exquisitely placed in the right cleft of the colour image embedded in your forum post?

Is this foul technological construction responsible for the noble creature's death?

I just first have to say, your post is magnificently worded :lol:

In terms of the "drone" (to use the plebeian vernacular), the council sent out one with infrared sensors to hunt down the lynx.

The reason I used that photo is that the TSR forum engine has difficulties attaching images using URLs; some seem to be fine and others won't insert into the post. This picture was one of the few pictures of Lilith that seemed to work as a pic insertion.
Reply 5
I don't see why they killed it instead of tranquilising, hmm
organisms die everyday no need to cry :s-smilie:
First harambe now lilith.

Seriously, what's their reason for shooting the poor guy? The only reason I can see is that it's to save money even though it was through the zoo's incompetency that it managed to escape in the first place. I
Original post by Trapz99
I don't see why they killed it instead of tranquilising, hmm

My point exactly. Lynxes have never been known to attack humans; they are around twice the size of a domestic cat, it's not like it was an escaped tiger. Apparently the council didn't even consider trying to tranquilise Lilith, which to my mind discloses an unforgivable lack of consideration for another sentient lifeform.

The lynx are also a very affectionate and friendly race, as can be seen below from this video of Max the Lynx.

[video="youtube;LFDDALlpapo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDDALlpapo[/video]
how is this different to any other animal that gets unnecassarily kiled
Reply 10
lol
Hired a marksman? Surely the zoo has tranquiliser guns and staff trained to use them?
Original post by AlexanderHam
"drone" (to use the plebeian vernacular)

:rofl:

The reason I used that photo is that the TSR forum engine has difficulties attaching images using URLs; some seem to be fine and others won't insert into the post. This picture was one of the few pictures of Lilith that seemed to work as a pic insertion.

Oh yeah that's annoying.

TSR must be operating on a whitelist for images. Sometimes when I post an image - and I have the best images, believe me - it displays fine, until I reload the page. Very annoying.
Original post by jamesgillian123
how is this different to any other animal that gets unnecassarily kiled

The fact that other animals get unnecessarily killed is not a reason why the death of this noble creature should not be mourned.

In any case, the lynx used to be native to these isles and there are efforts underway to reintroduce the lynx to Britain. That being the case, if they were not going to tranquilise Lilith they should have allowed it to go free.

Of course, I know when I posted this there would be the usual comments like "But you eat meat" and "How is this different from..." etc from TSRians who think this is somehow a clever or original position to take. Ooh, so edgy
Original post by JamesN88
Hired a marksman? Surely the zoo has tranquiliser guns and staff trained to use them?

I'm not entirely sure. I do know the zoo was not consulted about the killing of Lilith.

'Action had to be taken,' marksman who shot Lillith the lynx says

Here's an up-to-date article on the furore

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/11/lilith-escaped-lynx-is-killed-over-growing-public-safety-fears

The marksman says that Lilith had strayed into a caravan park, and that could have affected the tourist pound

“The very sad truth is the fact an animal was allowed to escape in the first place and that the owners were unable to catch it over a three-week period of grace. Sadly, action had to be taken after this farce,” he said

Venables said it was necessary to get within 10 to 15 metres of an animal to tranquilise it, with the the dart then taking up to 15 minutes to take effect: “During this time the animal will run.”

He added: “The animal was found in a caravan park, where tourism is vital, and the possibility of a darting response was never explored. It was further complicated by the dark, since it was a night-time operation.”

I do not agree with his analysis, personally.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
The fact that other animals get unnecessarily killed is not a reason why the death of this noble creature should not be mourned.

In any case, the lynx used to be native to these isles and there are efforts underway to reintroduce the lynx to Britain. That being the case, if they were not going to tranquilise Lilith they should have allowed it to go free.

Of course, I know when I posted this there would be the usual comments like "But you eat meat" and "How is this different from..." etc from TSRians who think this is somehow a clever or original position to take. Ooh, so edgy

people dont say it because its clever, people say it because (and im assuming you do eat meat) what you said is logically inconsistent. that fact that other animals are unnecessarily killed and no one gives a **** but we should all start mourning when a lynx dies just shows selfishness really. If people cry over a dead lynx while eating a steak every lunch then they're just a **** person.
people dont say it because its clever, people say it because (and im assuming you do eat meat) what you said is logically inconsistent. that fact that other animals are unnecessarily killed and no one gives a **** but we should all start mourning when a lynx dies just shows selfishness really. If people cry over a dead lynx while eating a steak every lunch then they're just a **** person.

Eating steak is part of the food chain. Shooting an animal unnecessarily is totally different.

A lot of meat eaters don't agree with killing for entertainment(i.e Trophy Hunting).
Reply 17
Another, hyperbole free take on it, for those of us not aboard the permanent outrage train.

Council clears up a public safety risk after incompetent zoo fails to stop a wild animal escaping

I would make two points there. First, I am very conflicted about being a meat eater and I have strongly considered becoming vegetarian. I think I am generally moving in that direction and if someone told me that in five years I had become vegetarian, that would seem completely plausible to me. I would really like to accelerate the research into lab-grown meat so we do not have to enslave animals.

Having said that, humans are naturally omnivores. There is nothing unnatural about us eating meat.

Now, on the question of "giving a ****". People sometimes care more about one tragic situation than another. A Londoner cares more about a terrorist attack that happens just down the road from them than one that occurs in Baghdad. People care more about a family member being hurt than someone they don't know.

There are all sorts of reasons why someone might care more in one situation than another even where the situations are comparable. In this situation, an intelligent and noble beast was unnecessarily killed and I mourn that. I do not accept your argument which is basically, "If you're a meat eater then you shouldn't care about any animal life at all and how animals are treated". That is illogical and faintly hysterical; there is a spectrum of humane treatment of animals, and it is entirely valid for a meat eater to care about such things.
(edited 6 years ago)
#JusticeForLilith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending