The Student Room Group

Welsh council murders noble cat

Scroll to see replies

atleast youre honest about it.

Original post by JamesN88
Eating steak is part of the food chain. Shooting an animal unnecessarily is totally different.

A lot of meat eaters don't agree with killing for entertainment(i.e Trophy Hunting).

what are you on about. Eating steak isnt necassary because you can eat other foods therefore killing the cow for the steak is uncessasary, we dont NEED steak to survive nor do we NEED to kill this lynx, they're both uncesssary and unjustified. And my point is that alot of meat eaters that dont agree with killing aniomals for entertainent because either have no clue what they are on about or they are a **** person. You can kill sentient animals if they taste nice but not if they dont? 90% of people eat meat because it tastes nice anyway, killing an animal for a tasty meal is ok right?

Original post by AlexanderHam
I would make two points there. First, I am very conflicted about being a meat eater and I have strongly considered becoming vegetarian. I think I am generally moving in that direction and if someone told me that in five years I had become vegetarian, that would seem completely plausible to me. I would really like to accelerate the research into lab-grown meat so we do not have to enslave animals.

Having said that, humans are naturally omnivores. There is nothing unnatural about us eating meat.

Now, on the question of "giving a ****". People sometimes care more about one tragic situation than another. A Londoner cares more about a terrorist attack that happens just down the road from them than one that occurs in Baghdad. People care more about a family member being hurt than someone they don't know.

There are all sorts of reasons why someone might care more in one situation than another even where the situations are comparable.

I don't agree with your statement about omnivores, could please name a physical adaptation we have made to eating meat.
Second of all, "there is nothing unnatural about us eating meat" - there is if its from intensive farming which is most of it nowadays, even if it was organic why would it being natural or not make a difference? Viruses and bacteria are natural (most of them) so why wouldn't you want them?

"

Now, on the question of "giving a ****". People sometimes care more about one tragic situation than another. A Londoner cares more about a terrorist attack that happens just down the road from them than one that occurs in Baghdad. People care more about a family member being hurt than someone they don't know."
I dont understand how that has anything to do with being a **** person for eating meat and pretending to care about the welfare on animals so could you please reittirate that point.
Original post by antant

Council clears up a public safety risk after incompetent zoo fails to stop a wild animal escaping

How was Lilith a public safety risk? It's not like Lilith is an escaped tiger. She is barely twice the size of a domestic cat, and I say again; there are no reports ever of a human being attacked by a lynx.

Where is the public safety risk? You claim this is about 'perma-outrage'. If anything, your comment is a completely predictable attempt to seem edgy (why people with an adolescent mindset believe sociopathy = edgy is unclear, but there it is); I expected this 100% when I created the thread because we see it every single time a thread about animals is created
Original post by jamesgillian123

I don't agree with your statement about omnivores, could please name a physical adaptation we have made to eating meat.

Err, the fact humans are natural omnivores is quite obvious. Are you familiar with the human dental structure? The fact we have teeth for both cutting (like the canine / fang teeth) and grinding (like molars) is indicative of that . There are people with a science background who will be more knowledgeable about this, but I've never heard of humans natural omnivorousness being questioned.

Second of all, "there is nothing unnatural about us eating meat" - there is if its from intensive farming which is most of it nowadays

eating meat =/= eating factory farmed meat. I didn't say, "There is nothing unnatural about eating factory-farmed meat". I said, "There is nothing unnatural about us eating meat". Wherever I can, I buy free-range and organic food. I research what I buy, I avoid factory-farmed products and I'm willing to pay more for it because I believe that if I am going to consume these animals, then the least I can do is do everything I can to ensure they have been treated ethically during their lifetime.

pretending to care about the welfare on animals so could you please reittirate that point.

The mere fact of being a meat eater does not mean you do not care about the welfare of animals. An example; if someone had a farm where they had a herd of free-range cows, and the cows were well-looked after and only slaughtered for meat when they had reached an average cow life expectancy, then a person who only purchased their steaks from that farm could absolutely lay a claim to caring about the welfare of animals.

Between that scenario I have just set out, and on the other hand factory farming ending in a halal/kosher throat-slitting, between those two there is a spectrum. If someone makes any effort to avoid the latter situation, then carely they care about animal welfare to some degree otherwise they wouldn't bother at all.

I dont understand how that has anything to do with being a **** person for eating meat

If you are taking the position that merely eating meat makes you a "**** person" then I don't think it's really worthwhile continuing to debate with you. You obviously have an overly-emotional and histrionic disposition that will prevent you from discussing these matters calmly and logically
(edited 6 years ago)
:lol: That's funny as all get out.

On the question of cuteness, I completely agree. They are adorable creatures; I think their giant paws and little monkey faces are too cute.

what are you on about. Eating steak isnt necassary because you can eat other foods therefore killing the cow for the steak is uncessasary, we dont NEED steak to survive nor do we NEED to kill this lynx, they're both uncesssary and unjustified. And my point is that alot of meat eaters that dont agree with killing aniomals for entertainent because either have no clue what they are on about or they are a **** person. You can kill sentient animals if they taste nice but not if they dont? 90% of people eat meat because it tastes nice anyway, killing an animal for a tasty meal is ok right?

Second of all, "there is nothing unnatural about us eating meat" - there is if its from intensive farming which is most of it nowadays, even if it was organic why would it being natural or not make a difference? Viruses and bacteria are natural (most of them) so why wouldn't you want them?

"

Now, on the question of "giving a ****". People sometimes care more about one tragic situation than another. A Londoner cares more about a terrorist attack that happens just down the road from them than one that occurs in Baghdad. People care more about a family member being hurt than someone they don't know."
I dont understand how that has anything to do with being a **** person for eating meat and pretending to care about the welfare on animals so could you please reittirate that point.

You can disagree with it all you like humans are still omnivores whether you accept it or not.Try feeding a cow only meat and see how long it survives.Not very long I bet.A human on the other hand would survive years quite happily. If they were herbivores like some people claim then that would not happen.

"

We need B12 from meat or dairy to be healthy because we aren't herbivores. Even Vegan propaganda sites admit that you should take supplements.

The rest of your reply is a bit incoherent but the point is that killing for food(which is natural despite you convincing yourself otherwise) and killing for entertainment are two completely different things.
Original post by Robby2312
You can disagree with it all you like humans are still omnivores whether you accept it or not.Try feeding a cow only meat and see how long it survives.Not very long I bet.A human on the other hand would survive years quite happily. If they were herbivores like some people claim then that would not happen.

What was the point in that post, i asked for a physical adaptation and you just popped with a bs paragraph about how cows are herbivores? No ****? "A human on the other hand would survive years quite happily" - That is until they drop dead because of a heart attack because of all the cholestrol. Oh and what a suprise astherclorosis is the number 1(or 2 it fluctuates) cause of death in the UK. Like seriously what are you on about

"If you are taking the position that merely eating meat makes you a "**** person" then I don't think it's really worthwhile continuing to debate with you. You obviously have an overly-emotional and histrionic disposition that will prevent you from discussing these matters calmly and logically"

You took what I said out of context, I also said directly after that "
and pretending to care about the welfare on animals" - What i mean by this was that people think morals and ethics apply in one context but not the other because the outcome gives a nice tasting meal - hence why i said selfish. If someone eats meat and doesn't care about other dead animals then i dont have a problem.

"The mere fact of being a meat eater does not mean you do not care about the welfare of animals. An example; if someone had a farm where they had a herd of free-range cows, and the cows were well-looked after and only slaughtered for meat when they had reached an average cow life expectancy, then a person who only purchased their steaks from that farm could absolutely lay a claim to caring about the welfare of animals."

How can someone who pays someone to slaughter animals for a nice tasting meal be regarded as someone who cares about the welfare of animals? They are killing innocent being it doesnt matter "how their life was" - You think its right to kill my cat because oh he had a good life so i can kill him now? And this example is completely unrealistic, if you combine organic and cows to their life expectancy you get a pile a ****. The meat will be awful quality from a cow that lived to their life expectancy, it doesnt happen. What does happen is when the cows stop producing milk we can kill them because hey they had a good life so whats wrong with that?

"
Err, the fact humans are natural omnivores is quite obvious. Are you familiar with the human dental structure? The fact we have teeth for both cutting (like the canine / fang teeth) and grinding (like molars) is indicative of that . There are people with a science background who will be more knowledgeable about this, but I've never heard of humans natural omnivorousness being questioned." - Nearly ALL mammals have canine teeth, several herbioures have ferocious canine teeth and the largest canine teeth of any animal belongs to a herbivore (Hippos). Heres a list of herbivorous animals that have large canine teeth thus proving humans having canine teeth dont mean we are omnivorous. Gorillas, Saber tooth deer, Gelada baboon, camels, and the Javelina.

"
eating meat =/= eating factory farmed meat. I didn't say, "There is nothing unnatural about eating factory-farmed meat". I said, "There is nothing unnatural about us eating meat". Wherever I can, I buy free-range and organic food. I research what I buy, I avoid factory-farmed products and I'm willing to pay more for it because I believe that if I am going to consume these animals, then the least I can do is do everything I can to ensure they have been treated ethically during their lifetime." - I assumed when you said eating meat you were including intensive farming, so apologies for missunderstanding you there. Organic is ofcourse better than intensive but that doesn't make it right, the least you can do is not consume them really.. you dont have to... so why do you want to.
(edited 6 years ago)
We need B12 from meat or dairy to be healthy because we aren't herbivores. Even Vegan propaganda sites admit that you should take supplements.

The rest of your reply is a bit incoherent but the point is that killing for food(which is natural despite you convincing yourself otherwise) and killing for entertainment are two completely different things.

Ok you clearly just googled that and found the first result so let me refute that.
First of all - B12 isnt just found in meat they are actually fed B12 supplements to give them B12 so you are consuming supplements either way, this is because its hard to extract B12 from the soil into most foods. And your point about supplements makes no sense - Whats wrong with taking a supplement? What difference does it make at all? Aswell as that vegan milks etc are fortified with B12 so only bodybuilders and keen health experts usually take alot of b12. Also, half of the population have a B12 deficiancy, meat doesnt even have that much B12 and a b12 deficiancy can be extremely deadly - but you shouldnt take supplements because??

"The rest of your reply is a bit incoherent but the point is that killing for food(which is natural despite you convincing yourself otherwise) and killing for entertainment are two completely different things"

again id like to hear why whether something is natual or not makes a difference, and also instead of making claims that another user already said it might be helpful if you could actually prove they are different things? for example, give evidence, reasoning? You just making a random claim means nothing if you cant prove it
What was the point in that post, i asked for a physical adaptation and you just popped with a bs paragraph about how cows are herbivores? No ****?

You are confused. You have just responded to Robby, who is a completely different user to me.

In any case, my previous post was quite clear; you have an overly-emotional and faintly hysterical disposition that makes logical debate with you impossible.
You are confused. You have just responded to Robby, who is a completely different user to me.

No that was directed to robby, he was trying to refute my claims and said some pointless **** that had nothing to do with anythin
g, that whole message wasn't directed at you
What was the point in that post, i asked for a physical adaptation and you just popped with a bs paragraph about how cows are herbivores? No ****? "A human on the other hand would survive years quite happily" - That is until they drop dead because of a heart attack because of all the cholestrol. Oh and what a suprise astherclorosis is the number 1(or 2 it fluctuates) cause of death in the UK. Like seriously what are you on about

"If you are taking the position that merely eating meat makes you a "**** person" then I don't think it's really worthwhile continuing to debate with you. You obviously have an overly-emotional and histrionic disposition that will prevent you from discussing these matters calmly and logically"

You took what I said out of context, I also said directly after that "
and pretending to care about the welfare on animals" - What i mean by this was that people think morals and ethics apply in one context but not the other because the outcome gives a nice tasting meal - hence why i said selfish. If someone eats meat and doesn't care about other dead animals then i dont have a problem.

"The mere fact of being a meat eater does not mean you do not care about the welfare of animals. An example; if someone had a farm where they had a herd of free-range cows, and the cows were well-looked after and only slaughtered for meat when they had reached an average cow life expectancy, then a person who only purchased their steaks from that farm could absolutely lay a claim to caring about the welfare of animals."

How can someone who pays someone to slaughter animals for a nice tasting meal be regarded as someone who cares about the welfare of animals? They are killing innocent being it doesnt matter "how their life was" - You think its right to kill my cat because oh he had a good life so i can kill him now? And this example is completely unrealistic, if you combine organic and cows to their life expectancy you get a pile a ****. The meat will be awful quality from a cow that lived to their life expectancy, it doesnt happen. What does happen is when the cows stop producing milk we can kill them because hey they had a good life so whats wrong with that?

"
Err, the fact humans are natural omnivores is quite obvious. Are you familiar with the human dental structure? The fact we have teeth for both cutting (like the canine / fang teeth) and grinding (like molars) is indicative of that . There are people with a science background who will be more knowledgeable about this, but I've never heard of humans natural omnivorousness being questioned." - Nearly ALL mammals have canine teeth, several herbioures have ferocious canine teeth and the largest canine teeth of any animal belongs to a herbivore (Hippos). Heres a list of herbivorous animals that have large canine teeth thus proving humans having canine teeth dont mean we are omnivorous. Gorillas, Saber tooth deer, Gelada baboon, camels, and the Javelina.

"
eating meat =/= eating factory farmed meat. I didn't say, "There is nothing unnatural about eating factory-farmed meat". I said, "There is nothing unnatural about us eating meat". Wherever I can, I buy free-range and organic food. I research what I buy, I avoid factory-farmed products and I'm willing to pay more for it because I believe that if I am going to consume these animals, then the least I can do is do everything I can to ensure they have been treated ethically during their lifetime." - I assumed when you said eating meat you were including intensive farming, so apologies for missunderstanding you there. Organic is ofcourse better than intensive but that doesn't make it right, the least you can do is not consume them really.. you dont have to... so why do you want to.

The point is that humans can eat an entirely meat based diet and come to no harm.If we were herbivores then we would quickly begin to suffer and die on a meat diet.We wouldnt last long enough to get cancer and such.Ergo we are not herbivores.We are omnivores.And humans have many adaptions that show they are omnivores.Try using google and clicking on something other than the PETA website.

In any case, my previous post was quite clear; you have an overly-emotional and faintly hysterical disposition that makes logical debate with you impossible.

Ive used logical in most if not all of my posts that refute all your claims, if you don't want to debate the "being a **** person topic" then feel free to back out, but that still leaves countless arguements of yours refuted and you cant counter them.
Gotta keep their wives, I mean sheep safe.
Original post by Robby2312
The point is that humans can eat an entirely meat based diet and come to no harm.If we were herbivores then we would quickly begin to suffer and die on a meat diet.We wouldnt last long enough to get cancer and such.Ergo we are not herbivores.We are omnivores.And humans have many adaptions that show they are omnivores.Try using google and clicking on something other than the PETA website.

No the point is is that you havent even read my message, i clearly stated how you can die of a heart attack because of meat and if you want me to prove it I will gladly link studies, so you to say that we can eat an ENTIRELY meat based diet and have no harm is simply absurd. Forget the brocolli, the fibre, the nutrients, the apples, the kale, the spinach, and every health food ever because we can live just off meat?? Id love to see you live entirely off meat, message me when you are 60 if you are still gunna be there.

"If we were herbivores then we would quickly begin to suffer and die on a meat diet." - Maybe not quickly, but we would certainly die as I said last post thus proving you havent even read what i said. Also last time i checked not many peole die off a vegan diet because of it not being sustainable for human health? The world health organization said themselves veganism is sustainable for all stages of life.

"Ergo we are not herbivores.We are omnivores.And humans have many adaptions that show they are omnivores.Try using google and clicking on something other than the PETA website"

You are the dumbest person I have ever met on this forum, you STILL havent provided evidence for why we are omnivores depsite you MAKING that claim and me ASKING TWICE for evidence! You even say that its easy enough to do by using google but you cant just paste an answer in here to debate with. Im not wasting anymore time responding to you and your dumb claims unless you provide actual evidence and reasoning rather than just a load of bs that you just made up.
Ok you clearly just googled that and found the first result so let me refute that.
First of all - B12 isnt just found in meat they are actually fed B12 supplements to give them B12 so you are consuming supplements either way, this is because its hard to extract B12 from the soil into most foods. And your point about supplements makes no sense - Whats wrong with taking a supplement? What difference does it make at all? Aswell as that vegan milks etc are fortified with B12 so only bodybuilders and keen health experts usually take alot of b12. Also, half of the population have a B12 deficiancy, meat doesnt even have that much B12 and a b12 deficiancy can be extremely deadly - but you shouldnt take supplements because??

"The rest of your reply is a bit incoherent but the point is that killing for food(which is natural despite you convincing yourself otherwise) and killing for entertainment are two completely different things"

again id like to hear why whether something is natual or not makes a difference, and also instead of making claims that another user already said it might be helpful if you could actually prove they are different things? for example, give evidence, reasoning? You just making a random claim means nothing if you cant prove it

No, I didn't just Google it. It's (reasonably) common knowledge. If you eat grass fed/free range meat as we've naturally evolved to do then you won't need to take supplements.

If you can't see how an omnivore killing (directly or indirectly) for food differs from killing so you can pose for a picture and mount the head on your wall as an ornament then it's pointless carrying on this conversation.
(edited 6 years ago)
No, I didn't just Google it. It's (reasonably) common knowledge. If you eat grass-fed meat as we're naturally designed to do then you won't need to take supplements.

If you can't see how an omnivore killing (directly or indirectly) for food differs from killing so you can pose for a picture and mount the head on your wall as an ornament then it's pointless carrying on this conversation.

Well Im going against my word but its too tempting to reply.

You arent the person who even left the comment so can you just confirm you are the same person or something, and if you are trying to refute the arguement Ive been making then you are truly avoiding them at all costs. If you eat grass fed meat you wont need supplements - And what does this actually mean? Ive already asked what differnce doest it make whether you take supplements or not so im just going to assume you have difficulty ready and/or you cant be bothered to read or you just dont have an arguement so you say random ****. I never claimed if you ate grass fed meat you dont need supplements so again what is the point of that statement?

"if you can't see how an omnivore killing (directly or indirectly) for food differs from killing so you can pose for a picture and mount the head on your wall as an ornament then it's pointless carrying on this conversation."
Clearly you dont understand how it is the same principal - you are killing sentient animasl for uncessasry reasons and no real gain - Obviously they arent EXACTLY the same thing hence why they have different names so you tried to make it look like they are majorly different by comparing the differences which are completely unrelated to the principal of killing a sentient animal for no reason. and (if you are the other person) im still waiting for a reply for all the arguements ive made since ive refuted all of yours yet your arguements are OH ITS COMMON SENSE and LISTEN TO ME I DONT CARE ABOUT BIOLOGISTS. You are literally making claims like a scientist and you expect people to believe you?
Well Im going against my word but its too tempting to reply.

You arent the person who even left the comment so can you just confirm you are the same person or something, and if you are trying to refute the arguement Ive been making then you are truly avoiding them at all costs. If you eat grass fed meat you wont need supplements - And what does this actually mean? Ive already asked what differnce doest it make whether you take supplements or not so im just going to assume you have difficulty ready and/or you cant be bothered to read or you just dont have an arguement so you say random ****. I never claimed if you ate grass fed meat you dont need supplements so again what is the point of that statement?

"if you can't see how an omnivore killing (directly or indirectly) for food differs from killing so you can pose for a picture and mount the head on your wall as an ornament then it's pointless carrying on this conversation."
Clearly you dont understand how it is the same principal - you are killing sentient animasl for uncessasry reasons and no real gain - Obviously they arent EXACTLY the same thing hence why they have different names so you tried to make it look like they are majorly different by comparing the differences which are completely unrelated to the principal of killing a sentient animal for no reason. and (if you are the other person) im still waiting for a reply for all the arguements ive made since ive refuted all of yours yet your arguements are OH ITS COMMON SENSE and LISTEN TO ME I DONT CARE ABOUT BIOLOGISTS. You are literally making claims like a scientist and you expect people to believe you?

Once again this is hysterical and incoherent in places. Maybe take a deep breath before typing your reply and/or try bullet points?
Once again this is hysterical and incoherent in places. Maybe take a deep breath before typing your reply and/or try bullet points?

I dont care about spelling and if you have any problems understanding me then you can easily just ask what I meant but no, you had to think of a response that would avoid you adressing the points I made and the arguements from you that I refuted. You don't have an arguement and you are clearly trying to debate a topic of which you know nothing about so make a point, refute my arguements, give evidence to support your claims, or stfu.
there are efforts underway to reintroduce the lynx to Britain.

But hopefully not to Cardiganshire. It would seem rather pointless given the local council has embarked on a moderately sized game hunting business.
I dont care about spelling and if you have any problems understanding me then you can easily just ask what I meant but no, you had to think of a response that would avoid you adressing the points I made and the arguements from you that I refuted. You don't have an arguement and you are clearly trying to debate a topic of which you know nothing about so make a point, refute my arguements, give evidence to support your claims, or stfu.

Spelling's the least of your problems. Somewhere in one of your hysterical rants you were rattling on about "why shouldn't we take supplements?" or something to that effect. Hence my point about not needing them if you eat grass fed or free range meat(as part of a healthy balanced diet of course).

As for me being someone else(if that's what you meant?) I've no idea what you're referring to.

Anyway I must dash, my foie gras is going cold.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending