The Student Room Group

Do braces hurt??

Asking cus I need braces but I'm scared it's gonna hurt 😭😂🙉

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They do for the first three ish days after you get them. I couldn’t really eat anything which you really had to bite into e.g. pizza. The pain was too much.

It gets better though.
Original post by rabs143
Asking cus I need braces but I'm scared it's gonna hurt 😭😂🙉

Yep.

They hurt the first time you get them (only for a few days as @SGHD26716 said) and also whenever the orthodontist tightens them during periodic appointments.

Well worth it though. Some adults regret not getting braces when they were kids and end up getting braces when they are older, paying thousands of pounds.
In my experience, they hurt for the first three-ish days after you get them, and after every time you go in to get them tightened, which happens every few weeks for a couple of years. Frankly, if it's just for cosmetic reasons, I wouldn't get them at all - but if they're needed for your long-term dental health, it's probably a good idea. My heart goes out to you.
Reply 4
Awww thanks
They hurt the next day after they implant the braces on to your teeth
But after about a week it will be fine
until after a couple of months where they tighten it up again
They hurt sooooooo much when it's tightened . It's like periods but happening in your mouth.
I had braces for 5 years so from the start to the end of secondary school. I am gonna be honest they did hurt it was mostly the pressure from when they first get applied and when you get them tightened (they are technically pulling on your teeth) also mine had wires posing out on each of the four ends, they gave you a special wax to cover them but they would rub my gums raw so I had 4 sores in my mouth (sorry just trying to be honest but make sure you get the wax if you have any wires poking out). But each time the get tightened you get used to it and the pain/pressure goes away (until the next tightening). I also had retainers as well as the fixed braces and they made it kinda difficult to talk for the first few days and I got them the day before I started school (so my first day was a barrel of laughs). But with my complaining out of the way I often get complimented on my teeth so in my opinion they were worth it.
Just got my braces on Friday and I can barely bit into anything- thank goodness they only fit one brace at a time.
No pain no gain 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😁😎
lol mine did not hurt at all. I took so much paracetamol after i got my braces thinking the pain is going to be unbearable but there was no pain. Your teeth will feel werid tho, u was too scared to bite anything as i thought it would wreck my teeth or something. But yehh i guess it depends how bad you're teeth are..
Reply 10
Original post by Capitata
I got braces and I had them taken out because it was too painful and couldn't face having them for another 2 years... do you really want straight teeth that much?

Yeppp cus one tooth is growing above another one so it has to be pushed down 🙉😫😫😫😫😫
Reply 11
Original post by lavender_rose
I had braces for 5 years so from the start to the end of secondary school. I am gonna be honest they did hurt it was mostly the pressure from when they first get applied and when you get them tightened (they are technically pulling on your teeth) also mine had wires posing out on each of the four ends, they gave you a special wax to cover them but they would rub my gums raw so I had 4 sores in my mouth (sorry just trying to be honest but make sure you get the wax if you have any wires poking out). But each time the get tightened you get used to it and the pain/pressure goes away (until the next tightening). I also had retainers as well as the fixed braces and they made it kinda difficult to talk for the first few days and I got them the day before I started school (so my first day was a barrel of laughs). But with my complaining out of the way I often get complimented on my teeth so in my opinion they were worth it.

Awww that's so rough, they must be worth it ☺️🙊
Original post by Capitata
I got braces and I had them taken out because it was too painful and couldn't face having them for another 2 years... do you really want straight teeth that much?

They don't hurt that much - they only ache a bit - I'm just kidding but they will help me eat correctly/ prevent teeth from any permanent damage
Braces aren't purely cosmetic (ps not an attack)
They hurt for like half a day, literally it
it killllssss lol
The only thing keeping me motivated is the end result
it only kills for one or two days, and then after that it doesnt hurt as much but u still cant eat, then the pain will go and youll be normal again until theyre tightened
They hurt but not excessively much during the first 3 days, then it tends to be more annoying then anything. When they tighten the braces it also hurts for like one day but it’ll be worth it in then end!
In my experience, they only hurt in the first few days when I was eating. I was also unfortunate enough to be hit in the face by a football 2 days after my braces were put on. Basically, just eat soups for the first few days.
It's worth it though. :smile:
Depends how bad your teeth are. My top set didn’t hurt at all because they weren’t as bad yet my bottom set hurt as my bottom set were most crooked.
I had the block retainer braces and then train tracks. Yeah initially when they put them on, tightened or added bands they hurt a bit. But for me braces were definitely worth it 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending