The Student Room Group

C2 maths

f(x) = 2x^2 - x^2 + ax + b, where a and b are constants. it is given that (x-2) is a factor of f(x). when f(x) is divided by(x-1)the remainder is 6. find the value of a and b
Original post by Nat6351
f(x) = 2x^2 - x^2 + ax + b, where a and b are constants. it is given that (x-2) is a factor of f(x). when f(x) is divided by(x-1)the remainder is 6. find the value of a and b

Your working/thoughts? This isn't a we'll-do-your-homework service.
Original post by Nat6351

(Do you mean 2x^3?) You need to substitute in the appropriate values into the equation. This will leave you with simultaneous equations in a and b that you can solve. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JemmaSimmons
(Do you mean 2x^3?) You need to substitute in the appropriate values into the equation. This will leave you with simultaneous equations in a and b that you can solve. :smile:

thank you I think I get what you mean
Original post by Nat6351

f(x)=2x2−x2+ax+bf(x)=2x^2 -x^2 +ax+b

Original post by Blue_Cow
Your working/thoughts? This isn't a we'll-do-your-homework service.

Original post by JemmaSimmons

f(x)=2x3−x2+ax+bf(x)=2x^3 -x^2 +ax+b
Original post by Nat6351
thank you I think I get what you mean

It sounds like a mean question but once you set up the simultaneous equations using your knowledge of factor theorem, it will flow nicely. :smile:

Quick Reply