The Student Room Group

PGCE References 2018 HELP!

Hi, I'm struggling to get a second referee as I've been emailing past lecturers and people at my placements and I'm getting no response. I have the headteacher of the school I'm working at now as my principal referee so is it okay to have a family friend as the second referee? I'm worried cos I feel like I am pushed for time and don't want to risk losing out by waiting for a response. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply 1
A second reference can be a character reference but just make sure it is from someone decent, who can comment on your professionalism ☺️
Reply 2
I thought the principal referee was supposed to be a tutor or lecturer and your secondary referee is usually the headteacher or head of department from a school where you've observed, depending on how long you've been in or out of education.
This is from the Get into Teaching website:

Principal referee

If you’ve been in education during the last five years, you should provide an academic reference from your principal referee this could be a current or recent tutor

If you’ve been out of education for longer than five years, you can provide two professional references if you think an academic reference won’t be relevant

Second referee

Your second reference should come from a professional ideally someone you’ve worked for, or someone who can talk about your skills, personality and suitability for teaching

Reply 3
My primary reference was one of my lectures who can comment on my academic ability and also provide a predicted grade for my degree.

My secondary reference was my Head of 6th form, I appreciate that my head of 6th form may not have seen me much over the last 2 and a bit years but I feel she could provide the most accurate/professional judgement of my character and potential as a teacher.
Another option may be someone from a placement you may have done over your time at uni?

Just to add, I was provided with a personal advisor from Train to Teach as I am applying for a priority subject (biology), and she said that my references were fine.
Original post by Tonia10
Hi, I'm struggling to get a second referee as I've been emailing past lecturers and people at my placements and I'm getting no response. I have the headteacher of the school I'm working at now as my principal referee so is it okay to have a family friend as the second referee? I'm worried cos I feel like I am pushed for time and don't want to risk losing out by waiting for a response. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

I don't think a family friend would be accepted. Well they would only be accepted if they have known you in a professional context, i.e. you worked for them or they have taught you in a academic setting. I think it is mandatory to have a university reference if you have recently graduated. If you aren't getting any responses from your lecturers, a call to your university's alumni department might help.
Reply 5
Thanks guys.

I graduated in 2014 so I know I should have an academic reference but a lot of my old lecturers have left the uni since then and the only 2 left are the ones I can't get hold of and they didn't know me very well even back then. I have tried my placement as well but nothing. I've put the headteacher as my principal since I am in my 3rd year working for him and as we are a growing school, he has been able to observe me in lessons and I've even been his TA.

I have actually worked for the family friend, he gave me a job during the holidays whilst I was studying throughout uni so he does know me in a professional manner as well as someone who can comment on my personality and character.
Reply 6
I know this was a year ago but I just wanted to know what you ended up doing! I left uni 3 years ago and I know none of the tutors and lecturers remmeber me and I havent gotten a response yet from a tutor I emailed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending