The Student Room Group

Any other 16 year olds struggling for jobs?

Without exaggerating, I think I've applied to about 80 jobs from late last year to now and every single one have either denied my application or more annoyingly, not replied at all. Pretty much everyone in my family has said it's best to apply online but I want to try going in and upfront asking an employee in the business if they have any vacancies but I wuss out because they all seem so busy. I don't know whether the problem is with the way I apply or my CV, but personally I do think my CV is alright especially since I have volunteer experience in a Barnados store and my grades at GCSE are A* to C. I'd just like to hear other people's experiences, whether you'e in the same position as me or in a job.
Luckily, my new school advertises jobs in the area that are available for students, so I finally have a job after searching for a year!
How good are you at swimming? (It's relevant, promise!)
Reply 3
Original post by bxcks_
Luckily, my new school advertises jobs in the area that are available for students, so I finally have a job after searching for a year!

I really wish my sixth form would do that but to my knowledge they don't :frown: but glad to know it worked out for you!
I had that problem till I got a job as a tutor
Reply 5
Original post by beccabokka
How good are you at swimming? (It's relevant, promise!)

I can float, that's about it but I'm actually trying to re learn, I know it's a bit pathetic I'm 16 and don't know how to swim but I didn't do it for years so i suppose i have an excuse 😂 i still get a bit angsry going anywhere near the deep end however
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I had that problem till I got a job as a tutor

I hear about other people getting jobs like that but I just wonder how? Someone suggested I broaden my searches a little and go on Facebook and gumtree but nothing on there really :s-smilie:
Original post by elliexir
I can float, that's about it but I'm actually trying to re learn, I know it's a bit pathetic I'm 16 and don't know how to swim but I didn't do it for years so i suppose i have an excuse 😂 i still get a bit angsry going anywhere near the deep end however

Ahahah fair enough. I was gonna suggest getting a lifeguard or swim teaching qualification (I've got them and I've literally walked into 7 jobs that I'm doing right now without even having to supply a CV in most cases because people are really desperate for qualified work) but that's a no go if you can't swim:frown: also, it's not embarrassing at all, when we were primary school age, it wasn't prt of the national curriculum and swim lessons are so expensive so loads of people don't know how to! Good on you for learning now:smile::smile:

Try and see if you can find any other qualifications that lead into a job. Anything like that makes you really desirable. Also if you have any working friends who can put in a good word at their job, that always helps?
Reply 8
At that age I struggled too, as did many. Had no experience, but couldn't get any without having a job (that old chestnut). After trying countlessly myself, I then looked to friends and family for help; asking whether they had any vacancies at their workplace and if they could slip a good word in for me. Got myself a retail job this way, along with the necessary experience to apply for jobs. So I guess in my case it was about 'who you know'.

I've always had a crap C.V and I've been too lazy to update, so all of my job applications have been online. Certain places like using online tests to see wether you have the correct skills and aptitude to do well in their company (Boots and McDonalds come to mind). Once you know how their systems works then it's an easy interview. I mastered the Boots system and within 4 weeks over summer I had 7 interviews lined up at different stores around my home city.

Also, try asking community pharmacies too since many are in need of dispensers. May be a good starting point.

Best wishes! :smile:
Original post by elliexir
I hear about other people getting jobs like that but I just wonder how? Someone suggested I broaden my searches a little and go on Facebook and gumtree but nothing on there really :s-smilie:

I did it through tutoring agencies, it's less pay for sure( I earn 6.50/h) but better than nothing. Try explore learning or google tutoring agencies in local area that allows a level students/gcse holders
When you say 'struggling' I just hasten to question, Why?
At this tender age we shouldn't preoccupy our lives in search for a quick buck, Ok if you sent out a few applications with little detriment to your study time, Fine.
However the fact it's reached 80 applications I feel you need to get back to the books and once you've achieved formal qualifications you can than seek careers with more ease and allocate a portion of your time just to doing that :smile:

BTW if you're searching for a job to support your family/friends etc. Disregard everything I've just said and hats off!
Getting a job at 16 was hard but what I found out is it’s more about who you know, you’re more likely at that age to get a job from a family friend or just someone who you may be acquaintanced to, for instance I got my job because I had the photographer who worked at my brothers party on Facebook, so maybe message any photographers asking if they need any photography assistance. I’d definitely go out and get work experience even if it seems irrelevant to you because it shows you as a competent person. For instance if you do work experience at a bank then it shows that you’re able to turn up on time and are able to handle money and you could get a reference from them. Expand yourself as widely as possible go show potential employers that you have experience from a wide of areas that will benefit them and that you aren’t just a random kid who needs more money.
Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a warehouse operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative, recycling operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending