The Student Room Group

help making friends outside of school

I'm kind of sick of just having a non-existent social life, so I want to try and make friends outside of school.

Do you know any fool-proof ways to find and make friends outside of an academic setting?

I'm not interested in a lot but I'm remotely fond of music, literature, badminton and art.

Please help!! :smile:
Reply 1
Honestly your best route is to find and join a club. I've got loads of friends only because a friend of a friend is in a ton of clubs. Be likeable, nice, and this'll be foolproof.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm kind of sick of just having a non-existent social life, so I want to try and make friends outside of school.

Do you know any fool-proof ways to find and make friends outside of an academic setting?

I'm not interested in a lot but I'm remotely fond of music, literature, badminton and art.

Please help!! :smile:

Young people seem to enjoy going to pubs/bars/clubs/house parties/gym etc.

Go to one of those venues and strike a conversation.
Reply 3
Original post by evluti
Honestly your best route is to find and join a club. I've got loads of friends only because a friend of a friend is in a ton of clubs. Be likeable, nice, and this'll be foolproof.

what kind of clubs? there aren't many in my area :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Young people seem to enjoy going to pubs/bars/clubs/house parties/gym etc.

Go to one of those venues and strike a conversation.

I'm not old enough to go clubbing/drinking & I've never been to a house party :frown:
Reply 5
what kind of clubs? there aren't many in my area :frown:

I'd say, consider first of all just searching for any clubs in your area (for your age group and regarding one of your hobbies). If not that, go look at some church notice boards, as a lot of clubs have venues there. And of course, check out your local library (or multiple ones!). People often disregard the library even though it's great for this sort of thing. Take a look at the library notice board or public notice board (hey there could even be one of these on your street somewhere!). Try asking a librarian about any nearby clubs. You may have to interrogate fellow students a bit to see if there are any clubs they go to. Good luck!!
Reply 6
Original post by evluti
I'd say, consider first of all just searching for any clubs in your area (for your age group and regarding one of your hobbies). If not that, go look at some church notice boards, as a lot of clubs have venues there. And of course, check out your local library (or multiple ones!). People often disregard the library even though it's great for this sort of thing. Take a look at the library notice board or public notice board (hey there could even be one of these on your street somewhere!). Try asking a librarian about any nearby clubs. You may have to interrogate fellow students a bit to see if there are any clubs they go to. Good luck!!

there are hardly any clubs in my area, I've looked everywhere! most of my friends at school don't do anything outside of school, so it's difficult on that front...
Reply 7
anyone else got ideas?
try grindr
Reply 9
try grindr

u trollin bruh
yes kind of, maybe tinder instead?
yes kind of, maybe tinder instead?

im not looking for stuff like that lmao
??