The Student Room Group

I can't afford university...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally I think 'poorer' students should get a higher amount, because they're less likely to go to uni than their peers. A lot of my friends who are over the limit aren't particularly happy and want the same but I struggle to get my head around how people with a 60k income can't afford to support at all. Growing up our household income was 11k per year between 3 people (would probably be around 14k now with inflation) but we managed, but when I first went to uni there was literally not a penny to spare. 60k is obviously massively different so I don't see how there'd be literally nothing, when we lived off 11k. My friends hate this opinion and it's probably not that popular, but you have to make sacrifices if you have that level income if you want your kids to go to uni.
And p.s. Just because someone's low income doesn't mean they work less. Me mum worked same if not more but was on around £6ph because she has mh issues and cognitive issues and no formal education, so feels a bit rich that people say low earners don't work and get more time with family when she had 2 jobs.
This sums up why the student loan system needs seriously looking at and changing. I had a flatmate last year who was in pretty much the same boat. Her parents were very high earners but she had a very bad relationship with them so they weren't willing to help her financially. Because of the fact her parents earned so much her student loan allowance was the lowest possible and even with a job she could hardly support herself after rent went out due to how expensive halls are at our uni, even the 'budget' ones. The only reason she managed was because her older brother who had a full time job agreed to give her financial support just enough so she could make it through each week. The system shouldn't just be based on what your parents earn it should be based on what they earn and what they're willing to give to you, because the fact your parents earn a lot doesn't mean they're willing to give you money. Not everyone has good relationships with their parents. I agree that poorer students should be given more to help them get to university, but I don't think it should be solely based on household income because it's not always that simple.

If you really cannot get any form of financial aid from anyone, as much as it sucks, I would recommend deferring a year, working for the next academic year and saving up your earnings, and going in 2019. You can do that and it doesn't affect your offer. My friend did so to take a gap year. If you're really that committed to getting this degree it may be the best option, even though it sadly means you'll have to wait a year. At least if you do that you won't be struggling which will save you a lot of stress.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Yep, with the money they save from not feeding me is true.

I’m in a family with 4 siblings. 2 currently share and will be moving into my room once I go to Uni. So the heated room remains. My clothes get washed in a bundle with others, that won’t change.

They may be able to help me out with a few hundred pounds a year, sure. At most, 1k. But unless they cut back in other areas, they don’t have any money left over for me. It’s not about being untruthful.

Let alone the fact that I don’t expect my parents to have to just give me money. The government should allow me to chose how much of a loan I want, because I physically can’t afford university without taking a year or two out and working full time.

I shouldn’t *have* to make that choice.

I wholeheartedly applaud you. Ignore that troll because YOU alone are the only person who knows what YOU need.
I hate that you are in such a situation and I wish I could help, but why don't you appeal to your local mp and/or seek guidance from your current school?
I understand that asking family/friends may not be an option so why don't you talk to the university directly, and make a case. I'm sure you'll get somewhere by going to them. I am so sorry that you are in this situation and I guess this reflects the actions of our government.
It is nonsensical to believe that a family with an income of 80k a year, will always have more disposable income than a family making 20k a year.
You have a strong case my friend. I think you could be one of the people who changes this stereotypical system regarding salaries and disposable incomes at universities.
Good luck to you.
Original post by physicseastldn
I wholeheartedly applaud you. Ignore that troll because YOU alone are the only person who knows what YOU need.
I hate that you are in such a situation and I wish I could help, but why don't you appeal to your local mp and/or seek guidance from your current school?
I understand that asking family/friends may not be an option so why don't you talk to the university directly, and make a case. I'm sure you'll get somewhere by going to them. I am so sorry that you are in this situation and I guess this reflects the actions of our government.
It is nonsensical to believe that a family with an income of 80k a year, will always have more disposable income than a family making 20k a year.
You have a strong case my friend. I think you could be one of the people who changes this stereotypical system regarding salaries and disposable incomes at universities.
Good luck to you.

It is a very fair assumption to think that a family that earns £80k will have more disposable income than a family that earns £20k.
Original post by madmadmax321
It is a very fair assumption to think that a family that earns £80k will have more disposable income than a family that earns £20k.

(I do agree with that)

But, the point still stands. It shouldn’t be assumed that because you’re family is on a higher income, they therefore have more disposable income left over.

I stand by that students should be allowed to chose the amount their loan needs to be, up to the maximum amount set by the government. I shouldn’t have to be financially dependant on my parents in anyway, if someone from a family income of 20k is not.
Original post by physicseastldn
Good luck to you.

I’ve done much research on bursaries from the Uni’s I’m interested in, but none that would make a significant difference at the universities and course I wish to apply for. I have also spoken in depth to my schools advisor, but the fact remains the same.

Most university bursaries are for those with low income. Which is completely stupid, given low income students get the maximum loan!! It’s not that I think they shouldn’t, but it’s awful that it’s not yet been picked up in the system that those of us from middle income families struggle financially more at University.

Unfortunately, it remains the same. I’ll be taking 1-2 gap years to work full time before I can go to Uni. It just feels like a bit of a waste when I know I’d rather go in September.

I hope the system changes soon.
Your parents must be having some luxuries to be getting be hitting 0 at the end of every month with a household income of 60k ie takeaways, buying lunches out, expensive contract phones, buying clothes frequently, buying designer clothes etc

even something like 1 takeaway a week for the 6 of you would be about the same as your food social money at uni

where are you going to uni? I dont know any student that needed 10k to live on unless they were spending stupid amounts of money and had expensive accommodation (except in london)

You have a few options

1. sit down with your parents to find out where you all as a family can make sacrifices on things so that they can give you a bit of help
2. take a gap year and save some money
3. if you truly need £10k to live on then apply to a uni where it is cheaper to live

Also it is worth noting you wont have much time as a nursing student to do paid work as you dont get the long holidays that other students on different courses get (I think the 2 people who i live with that do nursing now got 3-4 weeks off across the whole year)

Edit - I have just seen that you said your accommodation was £3200 (you said you got 3k loan?, I assume this includes bills btw), there is NO WAY you need £6800 to live on for everything else, £20 a week for food and £20 a week for social is only £2080 for a whole year

I am taking a gap year and saving money. That’s my entire point.

But I shouldn’t have to have that as an only option. I shouldn’t have to need to rely on my parents financially, and I should be allowed to select the amount of loan (up to the maximum amount that is available to low income students) that I wish to.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't understand how these parents can't afford to send their kids to University - they should have known their kids might want to go to university and have saved over the years, it's not difficult. I don't think the fact they have high mortgage and high bills should be factored into student finance, it's the parents fault for not considering extra costs they'd have. I come from a low income family that has wanted to support me financially despite it being extremely hard, having more money shouldn't make it acceptable to not provide for your children
Lots of kids have had to have part time jobs to help parents make ends meet. Work and you'll be able to afford to live

oh and also the minimum loan is £3800
(edited 6 years ago)
I am taking a gap year and saving money. That’s my entire point.

But I shouldn’t have to have that as an only option. I shouldn’t have to need to rely on my parents financially, and I should be allowed to select the amount of loan (up to the maximum amount that is available to low income students) that I wish to.

So you're in a position where your family earn a lot but arent in a position to support you?

Also where is all of this extra money for loans to everyone coming from? even though it is a loan, a high percentage wont be paid back

Edit - also this is one disadvantage of coming from a richer family, there are so so so many more disadvantages for coming from a lower income family so surely I shouldnt of had any of those just because of my household income?
(edited 6 years ago)
So you're in a position where your family earn a lot but arent in a position to support you?

Also where is all of this extra money for loans to everyone coming from? even though it is a loan, a high percentage wont be paid back

Edit - also this is one disadvantage of coming from a richer family, there are so so so many more disadvantages for coming from a lower income family so surely I shouldnt of had any of those just because of my household income?

They don’t earn a lot. They earn a medium amount. But with 3 other children, and a house with a huge mortgage, they don’t have any money for me at Uni. Nowhere near what I’d realistically need.

This isn’t a dig on lower income families. I’m from a middle income family; not a high one. I completely think they should be in place for those who *need* it. Which sometimes, is just as much as those who’s parents don’t have the money at all.

My families earnings are proportionate for the number of children they have. It would be equivalent to a low income family with a single child. But the government don’t think about that when making the rules as to loans.
(edited 6 years ago)
The government may give you a higher loan if you have another sibling at university as they decrease your household income slightly and reassess you. Family earnings being proportionate isn't correct - it costs very little to keep a child at home (food and slightly increased bills doesn't account for thousands a year) to be honest
They don’t earn a lot. They earn a medium amount. But with 3 other children, and a house with a huge mortgage, they don’t have any money for me at Uni. Nowhere near what I’d realistically need.

This isn’t a dig on lower income families. I’m from a middle income family; not a high one. I completely think they should be in place for those who *need* it. Which sometimes, is just as much as those who’s parents don’t have the money at all.

My families earnings are proportionate for the number of children they have. It would be equivalent to a low income family with a single child. But the government don’t think about that when making the rules as to loans.

Perhaps your parents shouldn't have had 4 children then? If you have a big mortgage and other bills the most stupid thing you can do is to have more children. They haven't exactly helped themselves.
(edited 6 years ago)

Okay so I assume you are eligible for the minimum amount of loan then? (£3928 outside of london)
Original post by Glassapple
Perhaps your parents shouldn't have had 4 children then? If you have a big mortgage and other bills the most stupid thing you can do is to have more children. They haven't exactly helped themselves.

Yep, not denying that. I don’t particularly appreciate my families choices for me to have 3 siblings. But nevertheless they are there. The fact remains, I don’t wish to, nor should I have to, be at all financially dependant on my parents for university.
Okay so I assume you are eligible for the minimum amount of loan then? (£3928 outside of london)

Yeah.

I’ve accepted that if I wish to go to the University I wish to, it’ll mean taking a year or two out to work full time. And that’s okay, it’s not like it’s an awful thing, many people do.

But I don’t believe I should have to solely because I’m not eligible for loans that others are.
(edited 6 years ago)
ITT: Question OP's parents life choices while being no help whatsoever and complaining about being lower class.
Original post by abbiealexander20
Okay so I am set on being a child's nurse I have worked hard to get the grades and am hoping to be accepted however I have looked into accommodation and even with my maintenance loan I would be £200 short for shared bedroom accommodation! My parents earn over the limit so I am not entitled to anything else however they are also not going to help me out financially at all. Living at home is not an option as all the uni's are way too far from where I live. I already work now and plan to work through the summer to save however because of my course I have been told I will be unable to work? I'm really stuck on what to do, I am desperate to do this course but I don't get how if I cannot afford accommodation let alone food....and I would still like to have some sort of life and be able to go out for a drink every so months....Thanks guys

Quite a few nursing/midwifery students work bank shifts as HCA or CSW which pays decent enough money and would top you up. You may also be able to apply for a hardship loan, it would depend on your uni so you should be able to enquire with the student union. Also, is the accommodation you are looking at in halls, or would you be happy to go privately ? here is a website that I used to get my current place. They do have some pretty cheap rooms (if your happy to house share, some are ensuite but of course they are most often more expensive) https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

Also, there are these grants that you could potentially apply for but I would suggest you have a good read yourself because there seem to be a lot of terms and conditions to it. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants?_ga=1.31018108.2113284631.1487329787
Yeah.

I’ve accepted that if I wish to go to the University I wish to, it’ll mean taking a year or two out to work full time. And that’s okay, it’s not like it’s an awful thing, many people do.

But I don’t believe I should have to solely because I’m not eligible for loans that others are.

That means that they are on over £60k between them? There is NO WAY (even with 4 kids) that they dont have disposable income

You get ~4k from sfe which means you need about another ~£3k from your parents to live on per year

If you break down your parents income realistically

1. £1000 rent a month (a guess?, assumes outside of major london zones)
2. £120 food a week (average for family of 6)
3. household bills ~6000 (gas, electric, water, council tax, internet) (slight overestimate depending on council tax) for a year
4. car (assume 2) - roughly £5000 (a rough average)
5. phone contracts (2 adults) - £70 per month

so yearly costs are ~ £31000 (added on an extra ~£1k)

Assume each person earns 30K per year - after tax etc ~£24k x 2 = 48k

so 48k-31k = £17k left for fun so there is clearly plenty of money that your parents are choosing to spend elsewhere

So your parents are choosing not to support you if the above assumptions are even remotely correct (and that I didnt miss any massive bills)

in fact you have at least as much disposable income in your family as a household of 20k takes home per year before bills, rent etc, therefore your comment 'My families earnings are proportionate for the number of children they have. It would be equivalent to a low income family with a single child' definitely is no where near true
(edited 6 years ago)
You could take this year out and work to save up for the first year, then just work as many hours as you can when not at uni in the following years. To save up for my Master's I worked like 70 hours a week average when away from home for the three years leading up to it. It is possible to earn money by just working in the holidays (and living cheaply while at university).
That means that they are on over £60k between them? There is NO WAY (even with 4 kids) that they dont have disposable income

You get ~4k from sfe which means you need about another ~£3k from your parents to live on per year

If you break down your parents income realistically

1. £1000 rent a month (a guess?, assumes outside of major london zones)
2. £120 food a week (average for family of 6)
3. household bills ~6000 (gas, electric, water, council tax, internet) (slight overestimate depending on council tax) for a year
4. car (assume 2) - roughly £5000 (a rough average)
5. phone contracts (2 adults) - £70 per month

so yearly costs are ~ £31000 (added on an extra ~£1k)

Assume each person earns 30K per year - after tax etc ~£24k x 2 = 48k

so 48k-31k = £17k left for fun so there is clearly plenty of money that your parents are choosing to spend elsewhere

So your parents are choosing not to support you if the above assumptions are even remotely correct (and that I didnt miss any massive bills)

in fact you have at least as much disposable income in your family as a household of 20k takes home per year before bills, rent etc, therefore your comment 'My families earnings are proportionate for the number of children they have. It would be equivalent to a low income family with a single child' definitely is no where near true

I’m not going to breakdown my families costs, but I do have a sibling who requires medical alterations to our home, and private physiotherapists (a choice that wasn’t necessary, you can get physio on the NHS, but they want the best for her.) that aren’t paid for by the government. That’s the main problem. And it is not one I would ever ask them to compromise for my own sake.

Did you ever consider that perhaps they aren’t willing to compromise their life style to help me pay for Uni? Sure it’s all neat and tidy on your book, but some of us can’t help parents who spend every penny they earn and don’t want to change that.

And I don’t want them to.

Like I said. I should be in full control of my loans from the government, because my families money certainly won’t be going towards me.

Quick Reply