The Student Room Group

A Year 12's Journey to 4 A-Levels (GYG)

Hi!
I'll call myself TWS for short rather than typing out the full username, but I'm TWS, and I'm in year 12, starting my four A-Levels.

My GCSE's
I was super, super thrilled with my GCSE results. I got 998, 5 A*s 2 As, a C and a D (we don't talk about those, haha!)
They're what inspires me to do well in my A-Levels - if I can do that well with 12 subjects, I should be able to do twice as well with 4 (difficulty factoring, right?)

My subjects
So I'm taking History (Early Modern), Maths and Further Maths, and I recently moved from Psychology to Physics.
I'm not doing any Further Maths until next year, however, as I will be taking the full A2 Maths exam this year. :ahhhhh:

Career?
I have no idea! I just know that I want to go to University for a Maths degree. There are so many options after that, that I won't mind sticking around to find out!

Why GYG?
Well, I'm a late-starter to Physics. We took a mock last week, after only six lessons for me, and it was EXCEPTIONALLY difficult! I thought I'd been catching up, but apparently not! So I thought this would inspire me to work harder!
Also, as I'm taking a full Maths A-Level this year, I want to get at least an A, hopefully an A* to put me in a great position for UCAS in Y13!
My History revision could certainly use a boost too, since my 10-mark mocks are averaging at about 6/10 per question.

So more than anything, this is just supposed to be a way for me to motivate myself to work harder and harder to hopefully, by year 13, hold an offer to a brilliant University, and I'm aiming for A*A*AA, if not better!
I hope to start posting properly tomorrow, since that's when college starts, so here goes!

Scroll to see replies

Hi. Good for you, taking on 4 A levels. I'm also in Year 12, doing 4 (Maths, Chem, Bio, and RS) I'm glad your set on doing Maths at uni, but really, don't worry about your future career now - not that it matters, but Maths is one of the most sought-after degrees out there, so you'll be really well-prepared when you apply for virtually any job. I found it incredibly hard to decide my A levels, let alone my potential degree subject, but I finally settled on medicine. I wish you all the best with your A levels but most of all enjoy them.

Although I am doing very different subjects to you, I have a very good friend doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chem who is a genius, so he may be able to help with any problems you might be having in physics.

Good luck.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by XxSaruman82xX
Hi. Good for you, taking on 4 A levels. I'm also in Year 12, doing 4 (Maths, Chem, Bio, and RS) I'm glad your set on doing Maths at uni, but really, don't worry about your future career now - not that it matters, but Maths is one of the most sought-after degrees out there, so you'll be really well-prepared when you apply for virtually any job. I found it incredibly hard to decide my A levels, let alone my potential degree subject, but I finally settled on medicine. I wish you all the best with your A levels but most of all enjoy them.

Although I am doing very different subjects to you, I have a very good friend doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chem who is a genius, so he may be able to help with any problems you might be having in physics.

Good luck.

Thank you! I have been told that maths is very valuable but it's only partly why I chose it, so that's a bonus at least 😁
And honestly, I'll take whatever help I can get with physics - I'm half a term behind so I need to buckle up, haha!
Good luck to you too!
You too!
What a day! Double maths in the morning, and then history, and then physics. Phew! I would say I'm glad for a break, but the amount of homework I have to do for tomorrow is unreal!
I have to keep on top of it though. Grrr...
First thing - UKSMC. That was kinda hard, but I only really did it for the experience, so I'm not expecting greatness.
I missed my Physics lessons, and nobody in my class is telling me what we did! Agh! (And on that mock I mentioned that I found hard? 26%... not so great, but others that were there the whole time got around 50-60%, so hope is not lost!)
We did a 10-mark question in History, and you know, I think I did pretty well on it. Hoping for 7/10 or better, since I've only been getting 6/10 so far.
Lastly - a maths test on logs, indices, and transformations. I think that went really great! Which is good, considering logs and transformations are one my weaker points - next to differentiation and integration...
What a week!

Definitely think I'll be going down to weekly/twice weekly updates, since it's been a few days, and I had a lot to get through.

Mathematics
A mixed bag - on my logs, indices, exponents, and graph functions mock, I got 24/26, which they graded as an A*!
Followed immediately by a differentiation and integration mock with a fantastic mark of.... 21/44... Agh. Needless to say that is going to be worked on!
I have a C1 mock on Monday, which I'll be studying for, then a C2 mock the week after, which will also be revised for!

Physics
Doing better! A friend has volunteered herself to be my 'tutor' and teach me the course to catch me up to now, which is especially kind of her!
Doing some extra work at home too just to double up.

History
Going fine! I have a 20 mark question mock to do Monday, followed by a 10 mark mock on Tuesday, but all in the same topic so my revision applies to all, thankfully.
Still averaging at 6/10 marks, here's hoping that goes up to a 7/10, and >13/20!

Revision for the weekend is going to be ramped up, especially with everything due for Monday, so I look forward to that!
Reply 8
why did u drop psychology
Original post by lolu123
why did u drop psychology

I took it at GCSE and sat the exam in Y10. It was my favourite subject, actually! I loved it a lot, it fascinated me, and I was adamant about taking it at A-Level.

Unfortunately, the A-Level content only slightly expanded on GCSE content, and I didn't feel that thrill around the subject that I had at GCSE. It bored me.

Even worse, one of my teachers wasn't very good - I found her unhelpful, confusing, and sometimes inept, which wasn't something I appreciated from a subject I used to love.

As I looked into Maths degrees, a lot of it was related to Physics, and I found myself attracted to the course, so I changed. I'm much happier in Physics now than I was in Psychology.
Original post by thewinterstudent
Hi!
I'll call myself TWS for short rather than typing out the full username, but I'm TWS, and I'm in year 12, starting my four A-Levels.

My GCSE's
I was super, super thrilled with my GCSE results. I got 998, 5 A*s 2 As, a C and a D (we don't talk about those, haha!)
They're what inspires me to do well in my A-Levels - if I can do that well with 12 subjects, I should be able to do twice as well with 4 (difficulty factoring, right?)

My subjects
So I'm taking History (Early Modern), Maths and Further Maths, and I recently moved from Psychology to Physics.
I'm not doing any Further Maths until next year, however, as I will be taking the full A2 Maths exam this year. :ahhhhh:

Career?
I have no idea! I just know that I want to go to University for a Maths degree. There are so many options after that, that I won't mind sticking around to find out!

Why GYG?
Well, I'm a late-starter to Physics. We took a mock last week, after only six lessons for me, and it was EXCEPTIONALLY difficult! I thought I'd been catching up, but apparently not! So I thought this would inspire me to work harder!
Also, as I'm taking a full Maths A-Level this year, I want to get at least an A, hopefully an A* to put me in a great position for UCAS in Y13!
My History revision could certainly use a boost too, since my 10-mark mocks are averaging at about 6/10 per question.

So more than anything, this is just supposed to be a way for me to motivate myself to work harder and harder to hopefully, by year 13, hold an offer to a brilliant University, and I'm aiming for A*A*AA, if not better!
I hope to start posting properly tomorrow, since that's when college starts, so here goes!

Hello! My subjects are quite different, but I’m in Year 13 doing history (OCR, and it’s Tudor, Russia, Holocaust and Witchcraft)

So feel free to pm me for anything history related! ☺️
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey! Kudos to you for taking on 4 A-Levels but I have just 1 question...

How come you are taking History if your love of Maths and Physics is what you want your future to be set around? Just reading your thread made me think that it would be a lot easier for you to drop History and just focus on the other 3, seeing as this won't put you at any type of disadvantage and you will probably do better in the other 3!

Of course, if you're willing to put all the work in to make sure grades don't slip then it's absolutely fine, but (correct me if I'm wrong) but History seems quite coursework based? The last thing I'd want is a piece of history coursework to do in the middle of exam season when you're taking all of your exams for your Maths A-Level!

Those are just my thoughts anyway, wishing you all the best :smile:
Original post by FloralHybrid
Hello! My subjects are quite different, but I’m in Year 13 doing history (OCR, and it’s Tudor, Russia, Holocaust and Witchcraft)

So feel free to pm me for anything history related! ☺️

Hi! That's really interesting, I do OCR too, but my topics are Spain, Britain, and the Witch Craze. Thank you very much for the offer! I wonder if our Witch topic is the same?
Original post by _RobbieL_
Hey! Kudos to you for taking on 4 A-Levels but I have just 1 question...

How come you are taking History if your love of Maths and Physics is what you want your future to be set around? Just reading your thread made me think that it would be a lot easier for you to drop History and just focus on the other 3, seeing as this won't put you at any type of disadvantage and you will probably do better in the other 3!

Of course, if you're willing to put all the work in to make sure grades don't slip then it's absolutely fine, but (correct me if I'm wrong) but History seems quite coursework based? The last thing I'd want is a piece of history coursework to do in the middle of exam season when you're taking all of your exams for your Maths A-Level!

Those are just my thoughts anyway, wishing you all the best :smile:

Haha, a lot of people can clearly identify the odd-one-out in the lineup!

I took history because I enjoyed it at GCSE, really. It's a very valuable subject to have when applying for Universities too, if I weren't so sure about Maths, then History would at least support an essay-based subject. I find that it comes in handy outside of college too, mostly with using language, forming arguments, so I think it's an all-round fair subject to take. It's basically my 'Fun' subject, if you will!

There is some coursework involved, around 20% of the course, so not too heavy. I am definitely willing to put the work in, and we won't start to write out our coursework until Year 13, so this years Maths exams should stay relatively untouched.
Hi! That's really interesting, I do OCR too, but my topics are Spain, Britain, and the Witch Craze. Thank you very much for the offer! I wonder if our Witch topic is the same?

Perhaps! I only begun mine this year, the witch craze is worth 40%. 16th and 17th century? ☺️
dude im in the same boat as you.. apart from the fact that my gcses arent as good lmao.

I only got 4A*s 4As 2Bs... ; (
Nice GCSE results! What did you get a C and D in?
Original post by FloralHybrid
Perhaps! I only begun mine this year, the witch craze is worth 40%. 16th and 17th century? ☺️

I think that should be the same as mine! I don't do mine until Y13, though :smile:

Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
dude im in the same boat as you.. apart from the fact that my gcses arent as good lmao.

I only got 4A*s 4As 2Bs... ; (

Don't be disappointed in those, those are great results! A friend of mine got similar results to you and got the best male achievement in my school, so it's nothing to be ashamed of!

Original post by iwant2die
Nice GCSE results! What did you get a C and D in?

Thank you! French and Art - I had to pick French, but decided to take up art for ~fun~. What a regret...
Thank you! French and Art - I had to pick French, but decided to take up art for ~fun~. What a regret...

Which one was the D and which one was the C?
Original post by iwant2die
Which one was the D and which one was the C?

French was the C, Art a D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending