The Student Room Group

Dropping maths after Year 12

Can I drop maths a level after year 12 ? I am thinking about doing biomed or med. Will this affect my chances in getting into uni ?
You can drop it and it won't hurt your chances assuming you have 3 other A levels, one being chemistry and preferably one other being Physics or Biology.
Original post by Appleorpear
You can drop it and it won't hurt your chances assuming you have 3 other A levels, one being chemistry and preferably one other being Physics or Biology.

i'm currently in Year 11 and i am thinking about doing Bio, Chem, Maths and Spanish at a level.
yes to the former, no to the latter. If you know you're going to drop it after a year, take an AS in the subject instead.
Original post by unicorngirl15
i'm currently in Year 11 and i am thinking about doing Bio, Chem, Maths and Spanish at a level.

Perfectly fine. Spanish is a respectable A level and you have perfect subjects outside of that so you're good. Worry more about your grades than your subject choices. For medicine an A in Spanish can get you in, a B in Physics would give you a rejection as they ask for AAA+ generally.
Can I drop maths a level after year 12 ? I am thinking about doing biomed or med. Will this affect my chances in getting into uni ?

Depends on the policies of your school/college. You need to ask them. No-one here will know.
Original post by _gcx
yes to the former, no to the latter. If you know you're going to drop it after a year, take an AS in the subject instead.

so will AS Maths reduce the chance of me getting into uni to study biomed or med ?
so will AS Maths reduce the chance of me getting into uni to study biomed or med ?

no
I've applied to biomed and they generally just ask for Biology and sometimes Chemistry (at least AS). Medicine want 3 academic subjects but each uni is different, they won't reject you because you dropped maths as a subject. They reject if you resit any exams or retake a year. So much extra for medicine, loads of work experience and BMAT/UKCAT but very exciting field.
Original post by Carolyne2891
I've applied to biomed and they generally just ask for Biology and sometimes Chemistry (at least AS). Medicine want 3 academic subjects but each uni is different, they won't reject you because you dropped maths as a subject. They reject if you resit any exams or retake a year. So much extra for medicine, loads of work experience and BMAT/UKCAT but very exciting field.

What a levels did you chose ?
What a levels did you chose ?

I do biology chemistry and maths, in 2nd year :smile: i was interested in medicine but it is super competitive and personally just not worth the stress... but yeah I'm more interested in the research and treatment of medicine rather than administering it. I took part in things led by Manchester Outreach Medics which was soso helpful if you do apply to medicine, we presented in a medical conference etc by junior doctors to talk to.

Quick Reply

Latest