The Student Room Group

2017/2018 Road to A*A*A*A and Durham pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Yaaay that's so cool! What course? I'm pretty excited for the SMC! I've always been really safe with the questions but I think since it's my last year doing it I'm just gonna go for it and really answer as many as I possibly can - you never know, you might find it fun yourself :wink: Thank you so much I really appreciate it :smile:

Psychology, I have a grow your grades too if you fancy checking it out :smile: I think the SMC will be good, I've just not done it since year 9 so I've forgotten what it's like!
Original post by stressedpotato
Psychology, I have a grow your grades too if you fancy checking it out :smile: I think the SMC will be good, I've just not done it since year 9 so I've forgotten what it's like!

Just did and subscribed! :smile: Awesome - good luck!
5 November 2017
Today, again, wasn't as productive as I wanted it to be, but I'll tell you what I did anyway!
So I woke up, at around 11am (hehe), and spent around an hour browsing social media and the TSR app, getting lost within all the trending threads :colondollar: I was brought back to reality when it was time for lunch, and we had chicken wraps which were pretty tasty! I then marked the TMUA spec paper 1 I completed yesterday, which took me a couple of hours (yup that's right, for 20 multiple choice questions!) because I was catching up Strictly and the Bake Off Final! I knew that I'd get distracted if I played them whilst marking the paper but I have no self control oops! I then got out the TMUA spec paper 2 and did the first 12 questions. Somehow I managed to make my way to my bed during that time because two and a half hours later, I woke up and realised I had slept the afternoon away! So annoyed with myself, I finished the paper, ate dinner, and marked it afterwards. Let's just say I definitely need to work on reading the question carefully and avoiding silly mistakes! I then procrastinated for a couple of hours, watching a couple episodes of 13 Reasons Why (it's so gripping!!!) before remembering at around 11pm I had some FP2 Differential Equations homework to do! I quickly did that, packed my school bag for tomorrow, and here I am writing this post!

Review of the weekend: Overall I wish I had spent more time, perhaps on SMC or TMUA preparation and less on procrastination, but I'm glad I had time (or I made time o.o Still have so much to do!) to relax after the pretty stressful week leading up to the MAT! I'm planning on saving the last two TMUA papers for Tuesday evening, where I will try to do them timed properly! I think tomorrow I'll attempt to cram in some last minute SMC practice if I can, but it won't be the end of the world if I can't! I definitely haven't prepared for SMC as I planned, but I'm hoping the MAT and TMUA stuff will be helpful enough to get some form of certificate :redface:
6 November 2017
This morning I was horrified to see that all the morning trains were cancelled (due to low-speed derailment, whatever that means), meaning I had to get my dad to drop me off to school! Luckily the traffic wasn't too bad, but it was still pretty annoying :frown: I had a free this morning which I spent half chatting, half doing some music homework I got set on Perfect Cadences (fun fun fun!) a while back. I also had an M2 lesson where we got given our tests back on Projectiles - I got 81% which was not too bad but then again it was an easy test and I should've checked my work for silly mistakes after! (I'm so lazy hahaha) Then in the afternoon we had physics, where we talked about telescopes for an hour - pretty fascinating right? :colonhash: And I had a free last, which I spent a little of trying to do more of the Perfect Cadences homework, but ended up getting distracted by the intense drama we have going on in our friendship group right now!

Luckily the trains were back to normal (still delayed of course but at least they were running), so I managed to get home, and look at the first SMC paper of this year (terrible right? I planned on doing at least 4 before the real thing but procrastination got in the way xD) where I completed around 10 questions before having to eat early dinner, get ready and go for ballet! All throughout I was sooo stiff and augh it was not the best class! I was with one other person and by the end of it, the mirrors were all steamy (it was quite a small studio but... still o.o) Despite all this it was still freezing and I was craving hot chocolate! (Best time to crave hot chocolate obviously)

I then got back home where I had some watermelon and grapes to cool down, and tried to do some more questions of the 2011 SMC paper, before having a shower. I then suddenly remembered I had a FP2 test on Further Complex Numbers tomorrow (yes, that's right, on SMC day), so I quickly briefly looked through the textbook before settling down to write this blog post! (Not ideal at all, but I have no time to do proper questions :colondollar:)

So yeah, that's the rundown of my day for now! Writing this I realised that I haven't really shown much productivity through my blog so far - it's mainly been me just procrastinating! But I hope that I'll be able to improve on this throughout the year and that this discovery will motivate me to do better! Thanks for reading :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Love your posts :smile: hope SMC went well (I did it today as well!)
Omg you’ve been through it all! Hope you get an interview at Oxford, I’ve applied too and MAT is just death haha.
Original post by Willywoo77
Omg you’ve been through it all! Hope you get an interview at Oxford, I’ve applied too and MAT is just death haha.

I have! Ahh thank you, I hope you do too! MAT is literally death!! xD
Original post by xchloeann
Love your posts :smile: hope SMC went well (I did it today as well!)

Thank you so much! Ahh not as great as I would've hoped, should've worked faster but oh well, it's just for fun! How did you find it? :smile:
Again I literally haven't done much the past two days so I'll mainly give a quick rundown of the main things that have happened!

7 November 2017
This was Senior Maths Challenge day, the day I was hoping I'd finally be able to get a gold (yes that's right, never ever gotten a gold before, only consistent silvers xD) buuuut I totally messed up - spent way too long on questions I knew I wouldn't be able to finish, and only managed to answer 15 questions, one of them only being a complete guess out of utter panic after realising I had only answered 14 questions! I was so close to answering that question about the n(n+1) k(k+1) rectangles one but I gave up because I couldn't factorise the quadratic I had gotten (I used the quadratic formula at first but had to find the square root of a huge number and just didn't have the brainpower to find it!) but after the test I realised I could have easily factorised the quadratic just by inspection - I'm so dumb! Now knowing I've also gotten the 15th question I completely guessed wrong (it was the pair of integer solutions question), assuming I got all the other questions I answered right, my score's around 80 which is definitely the highest I've ever gotten but I don't think it will make a gold certificate :frown: Stuck with silver AGAIN! EDIT: Just checked the solutions and I'm pretty sure I've gotten around the 70s once again - oh dear!!
Then in the afternoon we had a further complex numbers test which I probably got just under 50% in because I had spent all my time before preparing for the MAT/TMUA! I liked the questions where we had to turn the complex numbers of loci into cartesian equations (6 marks for two equations whoop whoop) and the De Moivre question where we had to find sinθ^6 by using binomial expansion! But the rest in between was a complete blur to be honest! :redface:
Then in the evening I had a ballet class (where I was literally on my own, just with the teacher in this huge cold hall!) and found out I need to get new pointe shoes, so to relax after all this hardcore maths prep I've decided to save Sunday for a trip to London to get a pointe shoe fitting (even though I should probably be focusing on all my A Level stuff that I've left behind due to all this maths prep!).
I then tried completing the TMUA June 2016 Papers 1 and 2 I had saved for the night before the TMUA ie tonight, but obviously I was so exhausted after ballet that I ended up doing and marking paper 1, meaning I didn't even do paper 2! Not the most ideal situation (considering there were only 4 papers I could've completed so I should've made the most of them) but I was truly tired, it was 12am, and I wanted to sleep! xD I was hoping the MAT prep would still be able to save me slightly...

8 November 2017
Today was TMUA day! Panicked because the trains were acting up again, and were delayed by over half an hour, which I was too scared to rely on since I had to be in school in the exam room for 9am to take the test. I ended up getting my dad to drop me off at school once again! I then got into school on time (thankfully), flicking through all my notes one last time (without actually absorbing any of the info in), before I went to the exam room! It was extremely intimidating because I was the only taking the test, so I was just in this empty room with the clock ticking, alone with the Cambridge Admissions adjudicator who constantly stared at me throughout the entire 2 and a half hours! I don't think I can say much about the papers since there are still people yet to take it until early December, so I will keep a hush for now! Overall I think I found it okayish - I definitely found one paper harder than the other, as I ended up guessing over half of the questions on one, and about a quarter on the other. I'm just hoping I get the pass mark or above so I get a reduced offer from Durham/Warwick! If I remember I'll probably do a more detailed rundown of my opinion on the questions after everyone has taken the tests :smile: Let me know how you found it if you took it - can't seem to find many people on TSR taking it this year!
After school I didn't really do much since I was just so exhausted from the papers! I was finally free from university admissions tests, so decided to just spend this time relaxing with the fam (ie watching TV and catching up on TV series I'd missed episodes of!) Hopefully I'll be more productive tomorrow :smile:

Tag Squad :woo:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you so much! Ahh not as great as I would've hoped, should've worked faster but oh well, it's just for fun! How did you find it? :smile:

You’re welcome and it was okay, I love maths and literally only did it for fun, I’m applying for chemistry. I’m sure you did amazing !!
Original post by xchloeann
You’re welcome and it was okay, I love maths and literally only did it for fun, I’m applying for chemistry. I’m sure you did amazing !!

Oooh chemistry I respect you!! A Level Chemistry already seems so hard from what I've heard :colondollar: Thank you (I doubt it though ahaha)! I'm sure you did amazing tooo! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry I haven't done any major posts for the last few days - I' would say I've been terribly busy but embarassingly I've been terribly not! Ever since I did the TMUA I've been having a bit of break to compensate for working myself a bit too hard (even if I didn't really get anywhere) and I've been trying to go easy on the maths especially! I had my piano lesson on Thursday when I realised that I have just over a week to prepare for my Grade 8 piano exam (and because of all this maths prep I literally haven't touched a piano in ages) so I think it's about time that I prioritise my piano next over all of the things coming up! I've also been forced to play the piano as a musical interlude thing during prize-giving (the day after my piano exam) which I'm incredibly stressed about too, considering my past performances at school haven't been the most successful (let's just say I've built up a reputation for stopping and starting and messing up lool!) so considering this will be in front of many important people, I've got to start practising properly! (Let's just ignore the fact that I didn't practise today...) Nevertheless I'll give you a rundown of what I did today!

11 November 2017
Today I woke up at 8am from an alarm but obviously fell back asleep and didn't wake back up until around 10am! I went downstairs and had some toasted brioche and cheese for breakfast before going back upstairs to check social media for over an hour. I then realised I should probably start on some work so I opened my planner, and decided to start on the music homework I had been given the day before, on researching Javanese Gamelan music and analysing its influence on Debussy's 'Pagodes'. I googled and accumulated a bunch of information on Gamelan music, but soon got distracted with studyblr youtube videos! :colondollar: I then decided after that I would leave the rest of that homework until later, and decided to go onto some maths. I have a Binomial/Poisson Distribution test on Monday, so I decided to start revising a bit for that. I made some Binomial Distribution notes, did some exercises on that chapter in the textbook and I think I got the hang of it by the end. Not going to lie, during my recent S2 classes I've been slowly lagging behind everyone else just because I absolutely despise statistics and I for some reason cannot grasp it because I lose concentration (because I find it so boring!), so finally getting used to the questions was a great feeling! I then decided to make some Poisson Distribution notes before attempting more exercises in the textbook. Here's a little photo of what my desk looked like around about that time (disclaimer: my desk typically looks like this - a drink, food, textbook, paper, and a ton of pens and fineliners messily lying about!).

20171111_152900.jpg

Before I could start on some past exam questions, my mum, dad and brother surprised me with a trip to Beefeaters for dinner, so I had a couple more hours of relaxation, before returning back home and washing my hair (because it felt gross). I then intended to do a bit more of the S2 Poisson Distribution questions from the textbook whilst watching Strictly, but inevitably ended up getting distracted! I then spent a couple of hours online window shopping and planning where to go tomorrow (you'll know why in the next paragraph) so I didn't really get much done after that, and here I am writing this post.

Tomorrow I probably won't get much done because I'm going to London to get a pointe shoe fitting at Bloch (since I need new pointe shoes!) and I'll be there for the whole day! Therefore the things I did today was probably the most I'll be able to get done this weekend :s-smilie: Right now I plan on quickly doing a bit more of the Poisson Distribution exercises from the textbook and then finishing off the music Gamelan homework. Annoyingly I planned on getting more work done today to compensate for missing a whole day's worth of work tomorrow but I guess I always overplan and procrastinate! I really need to stop getting distracted! What are you guys up to this weekend? I'd love to know! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Sorry I haven't done any major posts for the last few days - I' would say I've been terribly busy but embarassingly I've been terribly not! Ever since I did the TMUA I've been having a bit of break to compensate for working myself a bit too hard (even if I didn't really get anywhere) and I've been trying to go easy on the maths especially! I had my piano lesson on Thursday when I realised that I have just over a week to prepare for my Grade 8 piano exam (and because of all this maths prep I literally haven't touched a piano in ages) so I think it's about time that I prioritise my piano next over all of the things coming up! I've also been forced to play the piano as a musical interlude thing during prize-giving (the day after my piano exam) which I'm incredibly stressed about too, considering my past performances at school haven't been the most successful (let's just say I've built up a reputation for stopping and starting and messing up lool!) so considering this will be in front of many important people, I've got to start practising properly! (Let's just ignore the fact that I didn't practise today...) Nevertheless I'll give you a rundown of what I did today!

11 November 2017
Today I woke up at 8am from an alarm but obviously fell back asleep and didn't wake back up until around 10am! I went downstairs and had some toasted brioche and cheese for breakfast before going back upstairs to check social media for over an hour. I then realised I should probably start on some work so I opened my planner, and decided to start on the music homework I had been given the day before, on researching Javanese Gamelan music and analysing its influence on Debussy's 'Pagodes'. I googled and accumulated a bunch of information on Gamelan music, but soon got distracted with studyblr youtube videos! :colondollar: I then decided after that I would leave the rest of that homework until later, and decided to go onto some maths. I have a Binomial/Poisson Distribution test on Monday, so I decided to start revising a bit for that. I made some Binomial Distribution notes, did some exercises on that chapter in the textbook and I think I got the hang of it by the end. Not going to lie, during my recent S2 classes I've been slowly lagging behind everyone else just because I absolutely despise statistics and I for some reason cannot grasp it because I lose concentration (because I find it so boring!), so finally getting used to the questions was a great feeling! I then decided to make some Poisson Distribution notes before attempting more exercises in the textbook. Here's a little photo of what my desk looked like around about that time (disclaimer: my desk typically looks like this - a drink, food, textbook, paper, and a ton of pens and fineliners messily lying about!).

20171111_152900.jpg

Before I could start on some past exam questions, my mum, dad and brother surprised me with a trip to Beefeaters for dinner, so I had a couple more hours of relaxation, before returning back home and washing my hair (because it felt gross). I then intended to do a bit more of the S2 Poisson Distribution questions from the textbook whilst watching Strictly, but inevitably ended up getting distracted! I then spent a couple of hours online window shopping and planning where to go tomorrow (you'll know why in the next paragraph) so I didn't really get much done after that, and here I am writing this post.

Tomorrow I probably won't get much done because I'm going to London to get a pointe shoe fitting at Bloch (since I need new pointe shoes!) and I'll be there for the whole day! Therefore the things I did today was probably the most I'll be able to get done this weekend :s-smilie: Right now I plan on quickly doing a bit more of the Poisson Distribution exercises from the textbook and then finishing off the music Gamelan homework. Annoyingly I planned on getting more work done today to compensate for missing a whole day's worth of work tomorrow but I guess I always overplan and procrastinate! I really need to stop getting distracted! What are you guys up to this weekend? I'd love to know! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Sounds like you've been really busy :smile:

11 November 2017

20171111_152900.jpg

Spoiler

Love a good desk photo :love:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Sounds like you've been really busy :smile:

Eee I have! This month has got to be one of my most busiest months in a long time :redface:
Original post by Fox Corner
Love a good desk photo :love:

Ahh me too I love seeing what everyone keeps on their desk! (Because I'm nosy like that :u:)
So errr recently I have obviously been slacking off writing posts, but mainly because I haven't been really doing anything productive or interesting - I fell asleep in my free yesterday as the library was quiet, so I wasted a whole hour :bigsmile: I got a power nap though which fuelled my brain in the music lesson I had after, where I correctly identified all the modulations we had to name without looking at the score! I was pretty pleased with myself not gonna lie, partly because that was literally the only decent thing I had done all day :') Despite not having very many lessons today, I'll summarise what happened anyway!

15 November 2017
So today I got up and ate a croissant with apricot jam for breakfast (I've really been loving brioche and croissants recently) before I ran out of the house and to the train station to catch the train. I got there just about it time, and managed to hop onto one of the last coaches on the platform. I then naively went on my phone and browsed the TSR app, browsing all the different threads on the MAT, SMC (the thresholds got released and was so disappointed - if I had not made all the mistakes I did I would've gotten into the Senior Kangaroo!) and the maths applicants threads. I got so distracted that I ended up missing my stop (first time I've done this in the morning), which meant I had to get off at the stop after, and wait and this station for the next train which was in half an hour! I felt so stupid but I've definitely learnt my lesson and it will not happen again! Anyway, I got into school at 9am and ended up missing assembly, but luckily I had a free first so I managed to get some S2 done - I wanted to consolidate/relearn chapter 3 (Continuous Random Variables) because in our recent S2 lessons I've managed to zone out and literally learn nothing, which is not ideal considering the modules I'm most likely to do awful in are S1 and S2 :s-smilie: So I tried doing some textbook exercises but only managed to do a couple of questions before the bell went!

I then had physics where we discussed CCDs and I again zoned out - before starting the Astrophysics topic I was so looking forward to it because it was something new, and I thought I'd enjoy it just like I did with the Particles and Radiation topic, but obviously not! I'm hoping as we delve in deeper I'll find it more interesting, but right now all I see it as is a another boring physics topic :frown:

I then had another free where I tried doing an S2 Continuous Random Variables worksheet I realised I had been set ages ago as homework but never touched because I was caught up in MAT and TMUA prep! Out of guilt I tried completing it but got stuck on part of a question, so after staring at it for ages I basically gave up afterwards - I'm hoping we'll go through some of it in the lesson so I can see how to actually do it! I feel like it is something so easy and obvious but I just can't get there... Genuinely worried about my Maths A Levels now o.o

In the afternoon I had double PE so I did some aerobics which definitely got me sweating (TMI?) but I'm glad I did it because it felt pretty good afterwards knowing I had done a pretty hardcore workout! I then went home and found that a dress I had ordered to try for the school ball had arrived pretty quickly - I tried it on and needless to say I almost couldn't take it off, it was way too small! I had to call my mum in for help because I was at a point where I literally thought I'd have to cut myself out! But no way was I gonna lose £40! So my mum helped me escape and then I repackaged it to return via the post office tomorrow!

I also had my last piano lesson today before my actual Grade 8 exam which I'm petrified about... we did a mock and I started off with some measly scales - they were probably the worst I've ever played them! It started off smoothly with the normal similar motion legato scales, but gradually went downhill as I moved through the scales in thirds, sixths, LH Bb major legato scale in thirds particularly, and I just made a complete and utter fool of myself! (My piano teacher even said afterwards 'your scales were a huge disappointment' which kinda made me realise how much I need to work on them) I then went onto my pieces which I played through fairly well - I had a few minor blips but managed to play through them without any major stops which was an achievement in my eyes! And then we moved on to the sight reading which was a complete and utter disaster (it always is, so it came as no surprise) and aural! It took a few tries before I was able to repeat the lower part of the melody, it again took a few tries for me to nail the sight singing, missed the first chord of the interrupted cadence (I said IV instead of II xD), I got the modulations and needed a bit of help in extending my answer on the describing the music part. Ahhh my mind always goes completely blank during this so I end up having to make up a lot of it and it just goes a bit pear-shaped! Overall my piano teacher gave me 123/150 which was a merit, but I think he was being too lenient. A merit would be good, but since it's my last graded exam it would be amazing to receive a distinction, so I need to work my butt off in this last week! I think the sections I need to focus on the most is scales and maybe a bit of aural; I think it's too late to improve on the sight reading. I just hope the examiner gives me a nice piece to sight read! I do honestly think that a fair amount of marks you get in a graded practical exam are down to luck i.e. which examiner you get (how lenient they are/how much they want to give you a distinction), whether you're having a good or bad day, what sight reading/aural/scales you get given etc.

Right now it's 11pm and I haven't really done much else since I got home from my piano lesson - I need to make notes on the Maclaurin and Taylor Series for the test I have on Friday, so I might do that and then call it a day! The past few days I've been incredibly tired and exhausted though, so I'll have to start going to bed a bit earlier; then again I always say that but never act on it :/ Oopsies! Hope you guys aren't as tired as me right now!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
So errr recently I have obviously been slacking off writing posts, but mainly because I haven't been really doing anything productive or interesting - I fell asleep in my free yesterday as the library was quiet, so I wasted a whole hour I got a power nap though which fuelled my brain in the music lesson I had after, where I correctly identified all the modulations we had to name without looking at the score! I was pretty pleased with myself not gonna lie, partly because that was literally the only decent thing I had done all day :':wink: Despite not having very many lessons today, I'll summarise what happened anyway!

15 November 2017
So today I got up and ate a croissant with apricot jam for breakfast (I've really been loving brioche and croissants recently) before I ran out of the house and to the train station to catch the train. I got there just about it time, and managed to hop onto one of the last coaches on the platform. I then naively went on my phone and browsed the TSR app, browsing all the different threads on the MAT, SMC (the thresholds got released and was so disappointed - if I had not made all the mistakes I did I would've gotten into the Senior Kangaroo!) and the maths applicants threads. I got so distracted that I ended up missing my stop (first time I've done this in the morning), which meant I had to get off at the stop after, and wait and this station for the next train which was at half an hour! I felt so stupid but I've definitely learnt my lesson and it will not happen again! Anyway, I got into school at 9am and ended up missing assembly, but luckily I had a free first so I managed to get some S2 done - I wanted to consolidate/relearn chapter 3 (Continuous Random Variables) because in our recent S2 lessons I've managed to zone out and literally learn nothing, which is not ideal considering the modules I'm most likely to do awful in are S1 and S2 :s-smilie: So I tried doing some textbook exercises but only managed to do a couple of questions before the bell went!
I then had physics where we discussed CCDs and I again zoned out - before starting the Astrophysics topic I was so looking forward to it because it was something new, and I thought I'd enjoy it just like I did with the Particles and Radiation topic, but obviously not I'm hoping as we delve in deeper I'll find it more interesting, but for now all I see it as, is another boring physics topic :frown:

I then had another free where I tried doing an S2 Continuous Random Variables worksheet I realised I had been set ages ago as homework but never touched because I was caught up in MAT and TMUA prep Out of guilt I tried completing it but got stuck on a part of a question, so after staring at it for ages I basically gave up afterwards - I'm hoping we'll go through some of it in the lesson so I can see how to actually do it! I feel like it is something so easy and obvious but I just can't get there... Genuinely worried about my Maths A Levels now o.o

In the afternoon I had double PE so I did some aerobics which definitely got me sweating (TMI?) but I'm glad I did it because it felt pretty good afterwards knowing I had done a pretty hardcore workout! I then went home and found that a dress I had ordered to try for the school ball had arrived pretty quickly - I tried it on and needless to say I almost couldn't take it off, it was way too small! I had to call my mum in for help because I was at a point where I literally thought I'd have to cut myself out! But no way was I gonna lose £40 So my mum helped me escape and then I repackaged it to return via the post office tomorrow!

I also had my last piano lesson today before my actual Grade 8 exam which I'm petrified about... we did a mock and I started off with some measly scales - they were probably the worst I've ever played them! It started off smoothly with the normal similar motion legato scales, but gradually went downhill as I moved through the scales in thirds, sixths, LH Bb major legato scale in thirds particularly, and I just made a complete and utter fool of myself! (My piano teacher even said afterwards 'your scales were a huge disappointment' which kinda made me realise how much I need to work on them) I then went onto my pieces which I played through fairly well - I had a few minor blips but managed to play through them without any major stops which was an achievement in my eyes! And then we moved on to the sight reading which was a complete and utter disaster (it always is, so it came as no surprise) and aural! It took a few tries before I was able to repeat the lower part of the melody, it again took a few tries for me to nail the sight singing, missed the first chord of the interrupted cadence (I said IV instead of II xD), I got the modulations and needed a bit of help in extending my answer on the describing the music part. Ahhh my mind always goes completely blank during this so I end up having to make up a lot of it and it just goes a bit pear-shaped! Overall my piano teacher gave me 123/150 which was a merit, but I think he was being too nice. Even if a merit would be good, since it's my last graded exam it would be amazing to receive a distinction, so I need to work my butt off in this last week! I think the sections I need to focus on the most is scales and maybe a bit of aural; I think it's too late to improve on the sight reading. I just hope the examiner gives me a nice piece to sight read! I do honestly think that a fair amount of marks you get in a graded practical exam are down to luck i.e. which examiner you get (how lenient they are/how much they want to give you a distinction), whether you're having a good or bad day, what sight reading/aural/scales you get given etc.

Right now it's 11pm and I haven't really done much else since I got home from my piano lesson - I need to make notes on the Maclaurin and Taylor Series for the test I have on Friday, so I might do that and then call it a day! The past few days I've been incredibly tired and exhausted though, so I'll have to start going to bed a bit earlier; then again I always say that but never act on it :/ Oopsies! Hope you guys aren't as tired as me right now!

Spoiler

Good luck with your piano exam I’m sure you’ll smash it, ngl I haven’t been that productive this week been stressing about UCAS but my application has gone now so I’m relieved (sort of). All the best ❤️

QUIT the dancing and STOP procrastinating - or you just won't have what it takes to be an Oxbridge student once you get there! If you really want to go to Oxford (my son is there reading PPE - and 28 of his class are also there, or at Cambridge) then his advice would be 'don't miss a moment to study'. Of course you must still take time out to relax - he played rugby - but he quit the 1st team in LVI as there was too much training time and an obligation to play every week. He's now made his college team, despite not having played much for the last 2 years. Your grades look good but the Oxford exam and interview is really important - they're not interested in anything other than your ability to learn your chosen subject - the fun comes back as soon as you're in! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending