The Student Room Group

Grade 7/8 on the poetry section of the gcse paper ?

How do you answer Q1 (24 marks ) when it’s unseen poetry? It’s hard to write a lot since I don’t know much about it can I have ideas on what to write and how to be perceptive? Q2 (8 marks) is quite easy but the poem comparison question is difficult to get near full marks. Any help on how to get more than 18 marks on comparing poems from the anthology? (Power and conflict)
Reply 1
When comparing anything use PEE comparison. So make a point they share and then say how one does it with evidence and how the other does it with evidence. Then say how they do something different and why it’s effective with evidence for each one.
Your teacher's comments are a good starting point.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
Your teacher's comments are a good starting point.

my teachers not very helpful which is why I’m gonna have to get this grade 8 myself :/
Original post by dixonsaa
my teachers not very helpful which is why I’m gonna have to get this grade 8 myself :/

They left no comment whatsoever?
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
They left no comment whatsoever?

she did but she didn’t explain it well
she did but she didn’t explain it well

Any points that she raised that we can perhaps explain better?
Original post by BeckyEH
When comparing anything use PEE comparison. So make a point they share and then say how one does it with evidence and how the other does it with evidence. Then say how they do something different and why it’s effective with evidence for each one.

Or a personal one for me, SEXIOWL.

Statement

Evaluate

Xplain

Inference

One Word Focus

Writer's intention

Link
Reply 8
Original post by KreativeHawk
Or a personal one for me, SEXIOWL.

Statement

Evaluate

Xplain

Inference

One Word Focus

Writer's intention

Link

define what you mean by evaluate please
structure, tone, language (zoom in on single words and explore their effects. say what type of word they are, eg verb or adjective)
Subject:
What does the poem appear to be about? Is it obvious or ambiguous? Is it narrative in nature, telling a story; or is it more abstract and concerned with feelings and emotions? Is there a clear link between its subject and its title?

Tone:
Does the poem convey a feeling of celebration, sadness, rage, joy, regret, love, hate, irony, satire, pathos? Does the tone of the poem appear to give an insight into the poet's state of mind at the time the poem was written?

Rhythm and Rhyme:
Is there a clear rhythm to the poem? Is there a discernible rhyme scheme? Does it rhyme at all? If so, how and where? Are all the lines of roughly the same length? Are short lines intermixed with long lines? What effect does this have as the poem is being read? Does it help to emphasise the poem's meaning?

Imagery:
What visions and pictures fill your head when you read the poem? Are they beautiful, gentle, savage, awe inspiring, confused, picturesque, horrific...?

Vocabulary (lexis):
What words, phrases and register does the poet use to add impact and power to the poem? Can you identify the use of metaphor, simile, personification, or any other imaginative devices?

Effects:
What sound effects does the poet use and why? Scan the poem for the use of, for example, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, cacophony...
Reply 10
Original post by anoymous77
structure, tone, language (zoom in on single words and explore their effects. say what type of word they are, eg verb or adjective)
Subject:
What does the poem appear to be about? Is it obvious or ambiguous? Is it narrative in nature, telling a story; or is it more abstract and concerned with feelings and emotions? Is there a clear link between its subject and its title?

Tone:
Does the poem convey a feeling of celebration, sadness, rage, joy, regret, love, hate, irony, satire, pathos? Does the tone of the poem appear to give an insight into the poet's state of mind at the time the poem was written?

Rhythm and Rhyme:
Is there a clear rhythm to the poem? Is there a discernible rhyme scheme? Does it rhyme at all? If so, how and where? Are all the lines of roughly the same length? Are short lines intermixed with long lines? What effect does this have as the poem is being read? Does it help to emphasise the poem's meaning?

Imagery:
What visions and pictures fill your head when you read the poem? Are they beautiful, gentle, savage, awe inspiring, confused, picturesque, horrific...?

Vocabulary (lexis):
What words, phrases and register does the poet use to add impact and power to the poem? Can you identify the use of metaphor, simile, personification, or any other imaginative devices?

Effects:
What sound effects does the poet use and why? Scan the poem for the use of, for example, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, cacophony...

THANK YOU ! you’re a life saver thanks so much
define what you mean by evaluate please

Sorry, was off the site for a bit.

Evaluate is basically just using quotations from the subject text to backup your point.
THANK YOU ! you’re a life saver thanks so much

no problem xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending