The Student Room Group

Could I take my mum to court for this, possible neglect?

Since I was about 11/12, I had slightly crooked teeth with a gap in the middle top row. When we went to the dentists my mum passed up several opportunities that were offered for this to be corrected, for free, as I was well under 18. Even whilst I was around 18 to 19 and in education, she wouldn't let me have it done, but she let my younger brother and sister have it done. Now, I find it infuriating that at checkups they just scrape my teeth for a minute, say "You're absolutely fine! :h:" and when I ask about the issue getting corrected they say I'd have to pay £2000 for this. :sad: I'm sick of the pain it causes when I breath in and the air rushing through the gap between my teeth and the fact that my brother and sister can smile with confidence whereas I can only do so in a way as if I'm someone who is terminally ill. Isn't there a cheaper way this can be fixed or any try at home methods I could try? And should I consider taking her to court for neglect, when what's causing me distress now could have easily been fixed but she only let my brother and sister have it done?
Original post by BarleySunset
Since I was about 11/12, I had slightly crooked teeth with a gap in the middle top row. When we went to the dentists my mum passed up several opportunities that were offered for this to be corrected, for free, as I was well under 18. Even whilst I was around 18 to 19 and in education, she wouldn't let me have it done, but she let my younger brother and sister have it done. Now, I find it infuriating that at checkups they just scrape my teeth for a minute, say "You're absolutely fine! :h:" and when I ask about the issue getting corrected they say I'd have to pay £2000 for this. :sad: I'm sick of the pain it causes when I breath in and the air rushing through the gap between my teeth and the fact that my brother and sister can smile with confidence whereas I can only do so in a way as if I'm someone who is terminally ill. Isn't there a cheaper way this can be fixed or any try at home methods I could try? And should I consider taking her to court for neglect, when what's causing me distress now could have easily been fixed but she only let my brother and sister have it done?

No you cannot take your mother to court because she was your carer and whatever choice she had it was justified because she was the parent and you were the child.
If the Dentist himself said it would cost £2000 I wouldn't think a try at home method would be feasible.
You should ask your mother why she didn't let you do the operation when you were young and whilst it was still free.
Why she let your two younger siblings do it but not you baffles me.

Have an open conversation with your mother. But for the operation itself I wouldn't think another method is possible.

Good luck :smile:

A lot of private orthodontists have payment/finance plans available. Do some digging.

I'm not sure if you have a case, but is it really worth effectively dividing your entire family by suing your mother for the sake of 2000 GBP.

If you are planning to sue your mother, please send your case to ITV's Judge Rinder. I'd like to watch it over my dinner.
Original post by Oneiropólos
No you cannot take your mother to court because she was your carer and whatever choice she had it was justified because she was the parent and you were the child.
If the Dentist himself said it would cost £2000 I wouldn't think a try at home method would be feasible.
You should ask your mother why she didn't let you do the operation when you were young and whilst it was still free.
Why she let your two younger siblings do it but not you baffles me.

Have an open conversation with your mother. But for the operation itself I wouldn't think another method is possible.

Good luck :smile:
She helped my brother get his own car, but dumped me in a flat on the other side of town. I mean what good is that when a lot of the time the bus drivers for the buses I have to use because I have no car treat me like dog poo? :frown:

I've tried various times to talk about what I just said earlier to her, but I get blanked out by her.
She helped my brother get his own car, but dumped me in a flat on the other side of town. I mean what good is that when a lot of the time the bus drivers for the buses I have to use because I have no car treat me like dog poo? :frown:

I've tried various times to talk about what I just said earlier to her, but I get blanked out by her.

If you're looking for legal advice speak to a solicitor.
Reply 5
I think you need to grow up and take responsibility for your own life instead of blaming your family. I highly highly doubt that your mum would have turned down free braces and I think you're lying because if breathing in was causing you pain then you'd have been referred by a dentist by now. You just sound like somebody with a victim complex.
(edited 6 years ago)

Are you serious? Talk about entitled! Get yourself out of your self-righteous bubble and read up on the meaning of neglect and what it means according to the law. I doubt very much whether you would succeed in any action against your mother, and neither should you. That is not what the law is for - grow up and pay for your own treatment. That's what being grown-up is - standing on your own too feet.
Reply 7
No you cannot sue your mum for not getting you braces, don't be so ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending