The Student Room Group

Dumped by my GF, she wants me to move out of MY flat so she can stay

And then when I refused she claimed I was being cruel and petty.

Backstory here is I have lived here just about 5 years now, met her about a year and a half after moving here and spent a lot of time together and all was fine up to the past 11 months when we moved in together, it was cheaper for the both of us to live here as her flat was smaller and cost over £100 a month more and theres better transport links to workplaces or just to visit friends.

I have a feeling it was more she hated living at my flat full time but it was fine for staying over now and again, (but then why she wants me to move out except she feels she needs it more than me)

Our incomes are similar, I pay less travel though so works out a little better off than her, I don't drink but im not closed to it and she likes a drink with friends now and again so have slightly more money than her, I do treat her and myself with it though.

Anyway out of the blue she told me its no longer working out and I had to move out, for one I don't have the cash to get a flat on the spot, and two have nowhere to stay, not even on someones sofa as my nearest family is 70 miles away and she was born and raised a few miles from where we lived and has aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents all of which can put her up

Her words made it seem more of a gender issue mentioning how it shouldn't be a problem as I was male, and how it was cruel to make a female homeless.

Just wanted to get this out as it puzzles me and get some feedback.
Reply 1
wow...she seems like a real bish...wonder what you saw in her in the first place.
Anyway you were there first like you said its YOUR flat. if she doesn't want to be with you she can leave...seems like a no brainer.
Is it just your name on the tenancy agreement? If so then she has no rights and you can call the police and have her removed if she won't go. If it's both your names then you might have a bit of a dispute.
I'm not being funny, but she just dumped you. Tell her to **** off.
Sometimes you have to man up and not take it.

Its your flat, she has no power in this situation - none.

Its always worth remembering that, dispite all the talk, always look at the fundimental leverage/power avaliable to each person.

1. You are the legal tennant of the flat
2. If the police were called, she would be asked to leave

---

She is all talk, and you need to be strong enough not to give in. She wants to leave you, so tell her to leave. Simple - if she protests, threaten to call the cops. If she still protests, call them. = job done.

---

It does not matter what she says - she has no power in this situation and is just trying to manipulate her way to what she wants.. but without any power, as long as you realize this then you can ignore her words and just take action.
Agree with the others. Providing she doesn't have any legal rights, tell her where to go. She ended things. She should have thought about a plan B and how to stand on her own two feet rather than just expecting you to move out and uproot your life.
If you spent most of the money on paying for the flat that it's pretty much your flat and she has no right to kick you out.

Also her being a girl is only going to make it easier for her to find a new place to live. Like there's reasons why most homeless people are are male.
Original post by Anonymous

Backstory here is I have lived here just about 5 years now, met her about a year and a half after moving here and spent a lot of time together and all was fine up to the past 11 months when we moved in together, it was cheaper for the both of us to live here as her flat was smaller and cost over £100 a month more and theres better transport links to workplaces or just to visit friends.

I have a feeling it was more she hated living at my flat full time but it was fine for staying over now and again, (but then why she wants me to move out except she feels she needs it more than me)

Our incomes are similar, I pay less travel though so works out a little better off than her, I don't drink but im not closed to it and she likes a drink with friends now and again so have slightly more money than her, I do treat her and myself with it though.

Anyway out of the blue she told me its no longer working out and I had to move out, for one I don't have the cash to get a flat on the spot, and two have nowhere to stay, not even on someones sofa as my nearest family is 70 miles away and she was born and raised a few miles from where we lived and has aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents all of which can put her up

Her words made it seem more of a gender issue mentioning how it shouldn't be a problem as I was male, and how it was cruel to make a female homeless.

What an absolute cow she is. Sorry don't normally make judgments about people I have never met.

It is your flat, you signed the tenancy agreement. She has to go.

Just lol. Its your flat as you were there first. If you want to stay, then stay with a clear conscience. She is the one who should move. If you want to be kind and its not hostile then give her some weeks to find somewhere.
No it's your flat. You're the tenant, not her. She has no right to stay. Obviously you don't want to make a huge mess of it, but she can't expect to end the relationship and just take your home.
You don't have to think things through based on income/etc as much as you have done. It's your flat and she's the one who decided that it couldn't be both of you living there. That makes it her problem, not yours
It is your place. Give her a week or two to find something new or let her go stay at her friends’ places
don't move out it's your home not hers. tell her this and tell her to leave
Ay, yo, kick this ***** straight outta window. Who the **** does she think she is lol? Trash her real quick.
Reply 14

Allow her to stay if she insists BUT you must charge her market rent. Otherwise throw the freeloading cow out and change your locks.

Latest

Trending

Trending