The Student Room Group

I want to move to America

Moving to and living in America (the USA) has been my dream since I’ve been about 8 or 9 (I’m 15 now. In Year 11).
Ever since I started watching American youtubers from a young age, I’ve been obsessed with anything American. So, how possible is it for a Brit to get to America? If I was to continue working hard at school, and in the end get my law degree (I want to become a lawyer). Would it be possible to get to America?

> please don’t give me the “anything is possible!” talk. because i’ve heard it hundreds of times and i just want someone to be realistic w/ me
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
EVERYONE wants to go to America, they gave very tight immigration policies

If you are not starting up a business there that will employ many many people and bring a lot of money to the country then they don't want you basically.................
Reply 2
Original post by ANM775
EVERYONE wants to go to America, they gave very tight immigration policies

If you are not starting up a business there that will employ many many people and bring a lot of money to the country then they don't want you basically.................

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski%27s_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't listen negative opinions, if you believe yourself I'm sure you'll find a way to get a permanent residence in the U.S it is not that much hard. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea for that kind of job but you can search about H-1B visa. Good luck.
England is the best country in the world, why leave :frown:
Original post by iwant2die
Moving to and living in America (the USA) has been my dream since I’ve been about 8 or 9 (I’m 15 now. In Year 11).
Ever since I started watching American youtubers from a young age, I’ve been obsessed with anything American. So, how possible is it for a Brit to get to America? If I was to continue working hard at school, and in the end get my law degree (I want to become a lawyer). Would it be possible to get to America?

> please don’t give me the “anything is possible!” talk. because i’ve heard it hundreds of times and i just want someone to be realistic w/ me

What you should have wrote:

I want to go to America.......................Then get shot

Just joking.....
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Well firstly get a visa. To do that you'll need to be highly qualified in a sector they need, otherwise you can kiss goodbye to living there [unless you're just stinking rich]
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Well firstly get a visa. To do that you'll need to be highly qualified in a sector they need, otherwise you can kiss goodbye to living there [unless you're just stinking rich]

Could I not just go over there ‘for a holiday’ and just do a runner into another state? The mexicans manage to pull it off so I’m hoping I can too
Reply 9
Could I not just go over there ‘for a holiday’ and just do a runner into another state? The mexicans manage to pull it off so I’m hoping I can too

Errr well you could certainly try but i cant imagine it working very well for you, mexicans etc. usually get away with it because they work in the shadow economy and being employed by friends/family as manual laborers etc. A white Englishman is going to seriously struggle doing that.
Marry a US citizen

or just go there as a tourist and overstay lol
There is so much misinformation here - see this page from the US government, https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us.

That details the plethora of different visas that exist. I too want to move to the US, and am most interested in the EB-2 visa, which is used for workers applying for jobs which require advanced degrees (Masters or above).
Original post by Nads96
They are really tight on immigration especially now, so it is much harder to go and live there. If you had asked this question 4-5 years ago or even last year, then I would’ve said it is possible. With the whole new process of just visiting America with the interviews and and going to the US Embassy before applying for a visa and then the new law of having to interview before you travel, it’s much harder now. And even if you do get into America and want to live there, you have to apply for a green card which means every 6 months (I think) you have to travel back to the UK or your home country and then back to US for 5 years before you can get her residence and apply for a US passport.

Basically unless you’re a celebrity or a millionaire wanting to start a business, then it is near impossible to live there.

You have spouted so much misinformation here that I do not know where to begin.

There has been no change for British citizens in the last year. You don't have to interview just to travel to the USA as a tourist. I have been to the US over 20 times as a tourist, and have never once had to do this, nor have any family members or friends who have accompanied me. You have to interview if you're applying for a long-term visa, as opposed to a tourist one. For example, I would have to interview if I were applying for a student visa, but would not if I was simply going on holiday.

If you have a green card you are entitled to work and remain in the US, you don't have to leave except if it expires and is not renewed. You are thinking of tourists, who may remain for 90 days, and would have to leave then. A US passport is not required for residency, many natural-born American citizens don't have passports, it is not relevant.
Reply 13
Get an E2 Business Visa or H1B visa or marry a US citizen. Once you get a green card (permanent residency) Join the US military and they can fast track your citizenship. + You can get free university through military service through the GI Bill.
What part of America do you want to move to? a lot of it is glorified in the media, including youtube. Unless you’re a celebrity most of it is quite *****y. And to practice law in America it takes 8 years instead of the 3 that it takes in britain.
It is possible if you pass a state bar either get offered a position as a junior lawyer or start a law practice in a state that allows it.

omg i love jake paul too
im just finishing year 11 ,i’m 16 soon 17 and i would love to do beauty but i wanna do it in america i don’t know if there’s any “colleges” for 16 year olds there if you know anything could you come back to me please
Reply 18

Lol what? Literally anything?
Of course it is possible to move to America anything is possible if you put your mind to it

Latest

Trending

Trending