The Student Room Group

All That Glitters | celestine_1's GYG Thread

all that glitters.png

I N T R O D U C T I O N

Hi everyone! I know I’m rather late to GYG as I just made an account on TSR today (yikes) but I am in dire need of motivation so here we go. I’m Celestine, a year 10 student and perhaps the least cohesive and concise writer you will ever meet. I struggle to phrase my sentences in a clear manner, so please bear with me.

I would consider myself an ambitious yet disorganized person. I’ll also warn you that I never have my act together and will try to minimize that between now and GCSE exams - no promises though. xx

M Y G R A D E S

I’ve just gotten the grades I’m currently working at, and although I don’t consider them amazing, I am quite happy with my predicted grades.

Mathematics - 9, predicted 9

Additional Maths - 9, predicted 9

English Lit - 7, predicted 9

English Lang - 8, predicted 8/9

History - A*, predicted A*

Business - 8, predicted 9

Design Technology - 7/8, predicted 8/9

Triple Sciences - 9 (biology) 8 (chemistry) 7 (physics), predicted 9,9,9

Indonesian - 7, predicted 9

M Y K S 3 G R A D E S

I ended year 9 on these grades -

(at least, the ones relevant to my current choices)

Mathematics - 8a

English - 8b

History - 8a

Design Technology - 7b

Sciences - 8a/8b

Indonesian - 8a

M Y G O A L S

Obviously, I’m aiming for my predicted grades - I’d love to get all 9s, but that sounds pretty unrealistic so I’m hoping for a mix of 8s and 9s. I also am looking forward to improving my work ethic and doing a sufficient amount of revision.

In addition to this, I’m doing college-level classes on the sciences (particularly on organic chemistry, but I’ve also got some gen chem, biochem, physics, biology, and psychology in) and I hope to make enough time to revise for these on top of my GCSE workload. I’m also going to train to make it in the national team for olympiads in biology, chemistry, and maths and will participate in multiple maths/sciences competitions this year.

Finally, I’m going to try and be more active in extracurricular activities. I’m in MUN, Round Square, and the debate club, all of which I will be attending conferences in - I’m also very passionate about music and will be doing my piano and theory exams this March.

Let the torture begin. x

M A S T E R L I S T -

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celestine_1
all that glitters.png

I N T R O D U C T I O N

Hi everyone! I know I’m rather late to GYG as I just made an account on TSR today (yikes) but I am in dire need of motivation so here we go. I’m Celestine, a year 10 student and perhaps the least cohesive and concise writer you will ever meet. I struggle to phrase my sentences in a clear manner, so please bear with me.

I would consider myself an ambitious yet disorganized person. I’ll also warn you that I never have my act together and will try to minimize that between now and GCSE exams - no promises though. xx

M Y G R A D E S

I’ve just gotten the grades I’m currently working at, and although I don’t consider them amazing, I am quite happy with my predicted grades.

M Y K S 3 G R A D E S

Mathematics - 8a

English - 8b

History - 8a

Design Technology - 7b

Sciences - 8a/8b

Indonesian - 8a

M Y G O A L S

Obviously, I’m aiming for my predicted grades - I’d love to get all 9s, but that sounds pretty unrealistic so I’m hoping for a mix of 8s and 9s. I also am looking forward to improving my work ethic and doing a sufficient amount of revision.

In addition to this, I’m doing college-level classes on the sciences (particularly on organic chemistry, but I’ve also got some gen chem, biochem, physics, biology, and psychology in) and I hope to make enough time to revise for these on top of my GCSE workload. I’m also going to train to make it in the national team for olympiads in biology, chemistry, and maths and will participate in multiple maths/sciences competitions this year.

Finally, I’m going to try and be more active in extracurricular activities. I’m in MUN, Round Square, and the debate club, all of which I will be attending conferences in - I’m also very passionate about music and will be doing my piano and theory exams this March.

Let the torture begin. x

i’m really excited for this! i love your gyg banner at the top :smile:

your predicted grades are great!
wow - national olympiads and college-level classes?! (sounds really interesting)

what grade are you on piano?
what would you like to do when you’re older?

(check out my gyg if you want! i’m also in year 10)
Reply 2
Original post by clouddbubbles
i’m really excited for this! i love your gyg banner at the top :smile:

your predicted grades are great!
wow - national olympiads and college-level classes?! (sounds really interesting)

what grade are you on piano?
what would you like to do when you’re older?

(check out my gyg if you want! i’m also in year 10)

i'd be sure to check out your gyg!! thank you so so much. i'm doing my grade 5 exam on piano and grade 5 exam on theory this year :smile:)
i'd be sure to check out your gyg!! thank you so so much. i'm doing my grade 5 exam on piano and grade 5 exam on theory this year :smile:)

nice!
i’m starting my grade 5 violin soon but i don’t think i have to do theory? (i did abrsm for a few grades then switched to trinity so i don’t think i have theory now i’m on trinity) :smile:)
Reply 4
nice!
i’m starting my grade 5 violin soon but i don’t think i have to do theory? (i did abrsm for a few grades then switched to trinity so i don’t think i have theory now i’m on trinity) :smile:)
ooh i do abrsm violin and i'm on grade 3 now xx
Good luck
hey celestine! good luck from a fellow y10!
how'd you get involved in those college level classes, they seem lit!
Reply 7
Original post by mez_merising
hey celestine! good luck from a fellow y10!
how'd you get involved in those college level classes, they seem lit!

i do them online, my school offers them :smile:) good luck to u too!!
ooh i do abrsm violin and i'm on grade 3 now xx

omg!
i actually play the piano as well so i guess we’re twins :wink:
Reply 9
sunday.png

Tip of the day - Don't listen to music with lyrics when revising. You concentrate on the lyrics more than you concentrate on the material. (Ofc do what works for you, this is just what works for me)

I've returned home from my grandparents' house which was a four hour drive (how tiring), but I still managed to get in some revision for my bio test coming up Tuesday. Unfortunately I couldn't come to the school's charity concert today which was a bummer, but I think I'd rather revise than listen to music for two hours. I did six quizzes assigned on doddlelearn.co.uk and averaged a 96% which should equate to a 9 - after I go have supper, I'm going to fit in a couple more revision questions and finish up on my CGP workbook.

I've had quite a strong set of notes for biology which makes it so much easier for me to revise. Definitely need a freshener on osmosis and diffusion, which is sadly the topic which I have the worst notes for. If I've got any more time to spare, I'm going to work on my maths written investigation on unit circles.

My cat's in hospital and I'm worried sick about him. He's been doing fine and the doctor says he's been doing fine and he's in great hands, but I can't help but have this pounding feeling in my chest that I have to be there for him, something's always going to be wrong. I'm probably overthinking this since he's been fine and he's such a fighter, but that doesn't really ease the anxiety in my chest. I'll do some more revision and eat supper because that helps me clear my mind and see the issue in a more logical manner.

On an ending note, here are some organic chem notes (outside of GCSEs) -
(edited 6 years ago)
omg!
i actually play the piano as well so i guess we’re twins :wink:

ooh what grade? x
sunday.png

Tip of the day - Don't listen to music with lyrics when revising. You concentrate on the lyrics more than you concentrate on the material. (Ofc do what works for you, this is just what works for me)

I've returned home from my grandparents' house which was a four hour drive (how tiring), but I still managed to get in some revision for my bio test coming up Tuesday. Unfortunately I couldn't come to the school's charity concert today which was a bummer, but I think I'd rather revise than listen to music for two hours. I did six quizzes assigned on doddlelearn.co.uk and averaged a 96% which should equate to a 9 - after I go have supper, I'm going to fit in a couple more revision questions and finish up on my CGP workbook.

I've had quite a strong set of notes for biology which makes it so much easier for me to revise. Definitely need a freshener on osmosis and diffusion, which is sadly the topic which I have the worst notes for. If I've got any more time to spare, I'm going to work on my maths written investigation on unit circles.

My cat's in hospital and I'm worried sick about him. He's been doing fine and the doctor says he's been doing fine and he's in great hands, but I can't help but have this pounding feeling in my chest that I have to be there for him, something's always going to be wrong. I'm probably overthinking this since he's been fine and he's such a fighter, but that doesn't really ease the anxiety in my chest. I'll do some more revision and eat supper because that helps me clear my mind and see the issue in a more logical manner.

On an ending note, here are some organic chem notes (outside of GCSEs) -

your notes are absolutely lush!
hopefully your cat will be alright :frown:
i kinda wish i’d got cgp science books now... i have ‘collins’ ones that were sold by my school and they’re not the most helpful and detailed!
you sound like you’re having a productive day :smile:
ooh what grade? x

i did grade 1 but quit after, now i just play for fun :biggrin:
your notes are absolutely lush!
hopefully your cat will be alright :frown:
i kinda wish i’d got cgp science books now... i have ‘collins’ ones that were sold by my school and they’re not the most helpful and detailed!
you sound like you’re having a productive day :smile:

thank you love! cgp books have been great so far, i use the workbooks more than the textbooks tho xx
hope you're having a great day!
Your gyg is amazing!:biggrin:
all that glitters.png

I N T R O D U C T I O N

M Y G R A D E S

M Y K S 3 G R A D E S

Mathematics - 8a

English - 8b

History - 8a

Design Technology - 7b

Sciences - 8a/8b

Indonesian - 8a

M Y G O A L S

Let the torture begin. x

I do piano (grade 7 soon yay), play guitar and have done grades 3,4,5 in ABRSM music theory if you need any help, let me know!
also you seem so motivated, at the same point as you in year 10 I just revised the lesson before tests but this year (11) I'm knuckling down.
Also do you learn Indonesian at school? it must be such an awesome language to learn!
GOOD LUCK WITH YEAR 10!:smile::smile::smile: (and year 11 too)
Original post by Toastiekid
I do piano (grade 7 soon yay), play guitar and have done grades 3,4,5 in ABRSM music theory if you need any help, let me know!
also you seem so motivated, at the same point as you in year 10 I just revised the lesson before tests but this year (11) I'm knuckling down.
Also do you learn Indonesian at school? it must be such an awesome language to learn!
GOOD LUCK WITH YEAR 10!:smile::smile::smile: (and year 11 too)

That's amazing!! Thank you so so much xx
That's amazing!! Thank you so so much xx

no problem but seriously any issues I’m here, just PM or tag me! I come from a pretty music obsessed family (even if I don’t know the stuff my sister probably does:redface:)
also that college science stuff sounds so cool, I wish I had the chance to do something like that!:biggrin:
WEEKLY goals.png

13.11.17 - 19.11.17

-Score a 92% or above in my biology test.
-Do two sections of college-level general chemistry.
-Study for a minimum of 30 minutes per day (with the exception of Friday due to a sleepover).
-Update notes on business, history, and design technology (slightly behind rn)
-Finish first draft of English Lit coursework.

-Try and be a little less shy around the guy I like.
-Have more conversations.
-Go to that sleepover and have fun.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Toastiekid
no problem but seriously any issues I’m here, just PM or tag me! I come from a pretty music obsessed family (even if I don’t know the stuff my sister probably does:redface:)
also that college science stuff sounds so cool, I wish I had the chance to do something like that!:biggrin:

thanks!! i will if the issue comes up.
i take online courses my school offers for me, it's actually quite tedious but worth it :smile:

Quick Reply