The Student Room Group

Child Development (OCR)

Has anyone completed this course and actually done well? Because literally all the years before NO ONE passed, I was wondering if ANYONE has actually passed (lol), if so, please leave some tips (especially about the coursework) :smile:
Reply 1
I’ve completed this course and got a C on the short tasks, B on the child study and B on the exam and ended up with a C overall. It’s honestly not hard if you put in a lot of work. Gl:smile:
Although I didn't do OCR I did do AQA and achieved an A*. Assuming that the coursework is similar (I had to do a research task and a child study), spending time on the work is really what is needed.

For the child study, find a textbook and use this to create a mind map for the development milestones you'll be expecting to see (literally write down all of them). Then when it comes to writing work up, use this and comment on everything. Detail is key!

For the short research tasks, honestly again I just wrote in as much detail as I could. Using google scholar might help as well?

I hope that some of this was helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Although I didn't do OCR I did do AQA and achieved an A*. Assuming that the coursework is similar (I had to do a research task and a child study), spending time on the work is really what is needed.

For the child study, find a textbook and use this to create a mind map for the development milestones you'll be expecting to see (literally write down all of them). Then when it comes to writing work up, use this and comment on everything. Detail is key!

For the short research tasks, honestly again I just wrote in as much detail as I could. Using google scholar might help as well?

I hope that some of this was helpful!

Yes! this really helped, i was just really concerned because there have been many years of child development GCSE at my school and quite literally, no one has passed but this has made me a lot more confident. thanks for your help!
Reply 4
Original post by yxxd
I’ve completed this course and got a C on the short tasks, B on the child study and B on the exam and ended up with a C overall. It’s honestly not hard if you put in a lot of work. Gl:smile:

Did you do OCR or AQA? Also, which question did you choose for your child study? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
I did OCR. We didn’t get a choice of questions for our child study but I focused on intellectual development and my title page was something like “Is *child’s name* meeting the intellectual developmental norms for their age?”
Reply 6
Original post by yxxd
I did OCR. We didn’t get a choice of questions for our child study but I focused on intellectual development and my title page was something like “Is *child’s name* meeting the intellectual developmental norms for their age?”

Ah okay, our teacher is making us do physical development, do you have any suggestions for what my task title could be? Please bear in mind that i want it to be fairly simple and not TOO time consuming but complex enough to get a good grade. Thank you SOOOO much for your help! :smile:)
Reply 7
I would probably make the title a question or a hypothesis. You could use my example but change it to physical instead of intellectual. I did it this way and just wrote up my plans for my visits and then my actual visits and discussed whether she was meeting the norms. If you stick to that you can get a good grade and your teacher might have some past student’s child studies because that’s how I passed lol. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by yxxd
I would probably make the title a question or a hypothesis. You could use my example but change it to physical instead of intellectual. I did it this way and just wrote up my plans for my visits and then my actual visits and discussed whether she was meeting the norms. If you stick to that you can get a good grade and your teacher might have some past student’s child studies because that’s how I passed lol. :smile:

Okay, this sounds great. thank you for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest