The Student Room Group

What do i do when i have 3 years left for my GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Ohhh. I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't worry too much! GCSEs are easy. It's just a night of revision before exam. JOKING, don't do that! But you've got a hell lot of time. Relax for now until A-Levels hit you harddd :biggrin:

I wish i could do A-Levels right now i already get the Hungarian Algorithms And the Completing the square questions lol gcse is annoying because it like a base and your right things i revise right now, wont benefit me in year 11 ofc no one can remember things from 3 years ago, like i dont remember what i did in year 7, im in year 9!
Original post by BrainBottled
I wish i could do A-Levels right now i already get the Hungarian Algorithms And the Completing the square questions lol gcse is annoying because it like a base and your right things i revise right now, wont benefit me in year 11 ofc no one can remember things from 3 years ago, like i dont remember what i did in year 7, im in year 9!

Well, you can. Get homeschooled and write as a private candidate!
Original post by VirgoStrain
That’s a shame. If you feel strongly about it then you can always do an extra GSCE out of school that maybe don’t intend to choose as a main one. Maybe an extra language - do you speak any at home? A boy in Year 10 did electronics a year early and another did Italian a year early too. I’m doing Italian and Polish in Yr12 now (self taught of course - my school doesn’t offer it). I don’t regret not doing it earlier because I was very lazy.

I rubbish at spanish and french(2 main languages in out school) so the only language im choosing is going to be my main language at home its urdu but i need to learn how to read and write otherwise im an a* already in that, im just trying to do 8 gcse when i pick my options im not driving myself crazy over 9 gcses will drive me mental.
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Well, you can. Get homeschooled and write as a private candidate!

how in the world can you do that, cant you just cheat in your exams if you do them at home as a private candidate, lol why do they allow that!
If you're already stressing out now then the best advice is to find a good relaxation technique. Controlled breathing/meditation/even just watching something that calms you down will help a lot. Make sure you're sleeping well too - that will have a more positive impact on your results than anything you could be doing.
I've taken a note of those youtuber(s), once again thank you for your helpful replies! I've got all my physics remembered its just biology and chemistry those are my weaknesses and english language paper 1 question 3 and 4 thats it i guess those are probably the things i need to improve on :smile:

Okay great, no problem! Oh wow thats impressive haha, I only started learning mine from the middle of year 10 although I've got them all remembered now - you must be extremely hard working & I admire you for that! Oh yeah - we did a mock on language paper 1 last year - I think question 4 is just like question 2 in the sense with the same sort of skills so with a bit of practice, I'm sure you'll do great! :smile:
Personally, I wouldn't start hammering in the revision right now, I did what you did and now that I'm in A Levels I regret not chilling out in my younger years.

If you're still intent on doing revision, I admire your dedication. Personally if you're in the lower school I'd probably start with maybe light revision, this differs from person to person. Considering that normal for me is 6 hours a night on weekdays, normal can be very different! I'd advise you start off with maybe like 30 minutes to an hour? Or maybe a little more? Just don't forget your actual year's commitments too.
Original post by DaftVader
If you're already stressing out now then the best advice is to find a good relaxation technique. Controlled breathing/meditation/even just watching something that calms you down will help a lot. Make sure you're sleeping well too - that will have a more positive impact on your results than anything you could be doing.

Thanks for the advice!
Ill do it now tbh
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Okay great, no problem! Oh wow thats impressive haha, I only started learning mine from the middle of year 10 although I've got them all remembered now - you must be extremely hard working & I admire you for that! Oh yeah - we did a mock on language paper 1 last year - I think question 4 is just like question 2 in the sense with the same sort of skills so with a bit of practice, I'm sure you'll do great! :smile:

Thanks Lydia!
Original post by AryanGh
Personally, I wouldn't start hammering in the revision right now, I did what you did and now that I'm in A Levels I regret not chilling out in my younger years.

If you're still intent on doing revision, I admire your dedication. Personally if you're in the lower school I'd probably start with maybe light revision, this differs from person to person. Considering that normal for me is 6 hours a night on weekdays, normal can be very different! I'd advise you start off with maybe like 30 minutes to an hour? Or maybe a little more? Just don't forget your actual year's commitments too.

I guess my school is just pressuring me to do good, by all means isnt something bad, just need to chill a bit.
Original post by virgostrain
well i did 13 in one go earlier this year - 2 were optional (further maths and electronics) the latter of which i had to spend a lot of time doing the practical element. 9 gsce’s is too few imo, they’re easier than you think. Plus i’ll have 15 gcse’s by the end of the school year, with hopefully 12 a*’s, but i’m thinking of retaking 2 of the 3 a grades i got (got 10 a* and 3 a overall this year).

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww oml thats literally my dream how many hours do u revise evryday and when did u start revising woah. Ur so clever what school do you go to?
how did you even find this website at your age lmao

if you want to learn something learn an instrument or do a sport. its too early right now
how in the world can you do that, cant you just cheat in your exams if you do them at home as a private candidate, lol why do they allow that!

Hahahahhh. Private candidate doesn't mean writing the exam at home. :tongue: It means writing it at a certified examination centre. (Or what we call here as British Council)
All the other answers are telling you to relax, but here's a real answer:

Ask your teacher what exam board you're sitting (Edexcel, AQA, OCR, etc). That changes the curriculum you need to learn for each subject.

If AQA Sciences, I have bought:
Collins AQA GCSE Revision Biology
Collins AQA GCSE Revision Chemistry
Collins AQA GCSE Revision Physics
(£5.55 from Wordery.com)

I'm taking Edexcel History:
Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History:
Crime and Punishment
Whitechapel
Elizabeth I
Weimar Germany and Nazi Germany 1918-1939
Superpower Relations and the Cold War 1943-1991
(~£5-10 from ebay)
Or more in depth versions are the Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) books, you might use them in class(~£20 from ebay) Much more expensive, more likely to earn you level 9's

Through my school I bought the CGP GCSE Maths Buster. It's not very in depth, so I will likely buy another guide. In my opinion, practice papers are the best help.

AQA French:
AQA French GCSE Vocabulary help can be found online at memrise.com

Computer Science:
Letts GCSE Success Computer Science Complete Revision and Practice

English Lit:
I have not bought a revision guide for English Literature, and doubt I will. As long as you buy the actual book you're studying, you can annotate it yourself. If you struggle, look online. At the end of the day, the exam are looking for you unique and original analysis. That's how you earn high levels.

English Language:
Practice papers, your teacher will be happy to print some off for you
Memorise the types of discursive writing which may come up in Question 5, Paper 2
(edited 6 years ago)
I admire your tenacity. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me. I'm currently taking my mocks and feel I can give some current, up-to-date advice.

I am expected
7's in French, Compute Science, Triple Science
8's in English Lit and Language, Maths
A in FSMQ Statistics
B in FSMQ in Additional Maths

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! , im in Year 9 and im currently doing my first set of academic tests i really want to succeed in life and im getting really... stressed out. I just checked that revision notes thing you said and im going to start using that website thanks so much!

No problem my friend. If you have the money you could also pay for a subscription to MyGCSEScience when you get into Year 10. Just make sure that you will have access until your exams are done. I think it only lasts for 1 year so get it at end of year 10. It is really helping me understand.
3 years! wow.
i agree, first thing i would do is just relax. Life gets hectic after year 10. Im in year 12 rn and im glad i didnt start stressing too early on.
Enjoy secondary school, year 10 the choas starts, year 11 is when you knuckle down completely, Year 12 is no joke too, start straight away! ive already had 6 test and ive not even been at college for a term yet.

take it easy, it only gets harder from there
Lol 3 years? I didn't start worrying until 3 days before each exam lmao.
Make really pretty notes now, for each topic that you do!
Stay on top of all your work, and if you revise the topics as you do them, and make nice notes it will be so much easier in the GCSE period. Get organised and keep all your sheets and notes from this year together.
Work hard, but also remember that your exams are not for a while and don't stress too much about them now- but good attitude!!
best of luck x
Original post by randomaccountt
3 years! wow.
i agree, first thing i would do is just relax. Life gets hectic after year 10. Im in year 12 rn and im glad i didnt start stressing too early on.
Enjoy secondary school, year 10 the choas starts, year 11 is when you knuckle down completely, Year 12 is no joke too, start straight away! ive already had 6 test and ive not even been at college for a term yet.

take it easy, it only gets harder from there

lolllllll thats what everyone else is saying and i guess its true but ima higher ability student so im stressing to stay amongst the others! lol haha:0

Quick Reply

Latest