The Student Room Group

University of Surrey or University of Kent?

Hey guys,

So I have a conditional offer for Surrey for Business Managemeng and an Unconditional offer with Kent for Hispanic studies and management. The, I'm really torn.

Kent seems amazing and the course seemed so interesting after attending an applicant day. They also said I'd be eligible for a scholarship.

But I've heard surrey is ranked well and is hard to get into.

So I'm torn. Do I go for a better course or the better uni? As I really like the course at Kent.
I don't really think Surrey is that hard to get into tbh...not to diminish your accomplishment, merely in reference to your comment.

If you like Kent, then go to Kent. if you like Surrey, go to Surrey. If Kent are offering a scholarship then that's certainly a nice bonus too.

They're both reputable higher education providers, so just go to the one you personally prefer.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't really think Surrey is that hard to get into tbh...not to diminish your accomplishment, merely in reference to your comment.

If you like Kent, then go to Kent. if you like Surrey, go to Surrey. If Kent are offering a scholarship then that's certainly a nice bonus too.

They're both reputable higher education providers, so just go to the one you personally prefer.

Thank you! I appreciate your response. I can see myself going more towards Kent because of the course, would you choose course over uni rep?
Original post by SamuelC96
Thank you! I appreciate your response. I can see myself going more towards Kent because of the course, would you choose course over uni rep?

Yes, as you liking the specific course will probably have more of an effect on your ability to do well in it and thus your final degree classification than thinking someone else "likes" that university "more". Also a 1st from Kent will go further than a 2:1 from Surrey in most cases, and certainly a 2:2 or 3rd (and realistically a 2:1 from Kent will take you as far as a 2:1 from Surrey).
Reply 4
Hey guys,

So I have a conditional offer for Surrey for Business Managemeng and an Unconditional offer with Kent for Hispanic studies and management. The, I'm really torn.

Kent seems amazing and the course seemed so interesting after attending an applicant day. They also said I'd be eligible for a scholarship.

So I'm torn. Do I go for a better course or the better uni? As I really like the course at Kent.

Can I ask what your predicted grades were and what subjects you do? Congratulations on your offers!!
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, as you liking the specific course will probably have more of an effect on your ability to do well in it and thus your final degree classification than thinking someone else "likes" that university "more". Also a 1st from Kent will go further than a 2:1 from Surrey in most cases, and certainly a 2:2 or 3rd (and realistically a 2:1 from Kent will take you as far as a 2:1 from Surrey).

I see this has given me a lot to think about and you've cleared things up for me. Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MMR16
Can I ask what your predicted grades were and what subjects you do? Congratulations on your offers!!

Thank you very much!

I am predicted D*D*D* and I study the Travel and Tourism Level 3 Extended Diploma.
Reply 7
Surrey is better but it is EXPENSIVE AS ****

most expensive place for a pint in the UK
Many Surrey courses offer a professional placement year which is very valuable for putting your subject into practice, as well as for finding work when you graduate; If you have the grades and experience, you're ahead in the game. If you didn't apply for a four year course (placement year), you can always transfer after your first year to a four year program, as the third year is in which the placement takes place.

I also applied to Kent but Surrey was my first choice, and I was ecstatic to get a place. It didn't seem terribly hard to get into, moreover, they seem to have lowered the grade requirements on many courses for this academic year.
Reply 9
Original post by Mahel
Surrey is better but it is EXPENSIVE AS ****

most expensive place for a pint in the UK

Oh really? That is something else I'll take into consideration. Would you say you're living on a tight budget?
Reply 10
Original post by Rigmarole
Many Surrey courses offer a professional placement year which is very valuable for putting your subject into practice, as well as for finding work when you graduate; If you have the grades and experience, you're ahead in the game. If you didn't apply for a four year course (placement year), you can always transfer after your first year to a four year program, as the third year is in which the placement takes place.

I also applied to Kent but Surrey was my first choice, and I was ecstatic to get a place. It didn't seem terribly hard to get into, moreover, they seem to have lowered the grade requirements on many courses for this academic year.

Thanks for your comment, I also applied for the sandwich course with the professional placement which, as you say, does come in useful! I was also ecstatic to get my offer, although it was an alternative offer to what I originally applied too. It's going to be a tough decision!
Hey guys,

Hey @SamuelC96,

Congrats on your offers for Kent and Surrey!! :party:

The most important thing when choosing between 2 unis is to go with the one you think you would do best at. Compare the modules offered in each course and think about which you'd enjoy most and would be most useful in the career you wish to pursue. I'd also advise visiting both campuses to see which you feel suits you best/where you'd be happiest.

We would love to have you at Surrey, but ultimately you've got to do what's best for you! :smile:

If you've got any questions you'd like to ask about Surrey as a place to live or about the facilities and extra-curricular activities we offer, feel free to ask.

I studied at Surrey from 2012-2015 and work here as well, so I know pretty much all the ins and outs of the uni! :biggrin:

I'll forewarn you that I don't have course-specific knowledge (except for Theatre Studies, which is what I studied), but if you have specific questions about the Business Management course then I can find out who would be the best person for you to speak to :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 12
Oh really? That is something else I'll take into consideration. Would you say you're living on a tight budget?

here's the article for reference https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/07/surrey-most-expensive-pint-uk-london-good-beer-guide

and yes, i'll be applying for a bursary/scholarship at university due to tight funds
Reply 13
Original post by University of Surrey
Hey @SamuelC96,

Congrats on your offers for Kent and Surrey!! :party:

The most important thing when choosing between 2 unis is to go with the one you think you would do best at. Compare the modules offered in each course and think about which you'd enjoy most and would be most useful in the career you wish to pursue. I'd also advise visiting both campuses to see which you feel suits you best/where you'd be happiest.

We would love to have you at Surrey, but ultimately you've got to do what's best for you! :smile:

If you've got any questions you'd like to ask about Surrey as a place to live or about the facilities and extra-curricular activities we offer, feel free to ask.

I studied at Surrey from 2012-2015 and work here as well, so I know pretty much all the ins and outs of the uni! :biggrin:

I'll forewarn you that I don't have course-specific knowledge (except for Theatre Studies, which is what I studied), but if you have specific questions about the Business Management course then I can find out who would be the best person for you to speak to :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Hey Ashley, thank you for your helpful message. That is what I have been doing. Surrey has such a beautiful campus and the course seems really nice too.

One question, I do have, do you know if I'm going to be invited to an Applicant day for business management at Surrey? I just had one at Kent and I think having one at Surrey too will help me to make the best and an informed decision.

Thanks,

Samuel
Reply 14
Original post by Mahel
here's the article for reference https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/07/surrey-most-expensive-pint-uk-london-good-beer-guide

and yes, i'll be applying for a bursary/scholarship at university due to tight funds

I see. Thank you.
Hey Ashley, thank you for your helpful message. That is what I have been doing. Surrey has such a beautiful campus and the course seems really nice too.

One question, I do have, do you know if I'm going to be invited to an Applicant day for business management at Surrey? I just had one at Kent and I think having one at Surrey too will help me to make the best and an informed decision.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

I've just checked with the Admissions office and they've said that you will be invited to an Applicant Day if you've received an offer from us. Please keep an eye on the Surrey Self-Serve portal as this is where the invitation to the Applicant Day will come through :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 16
Hey guys,

You have until May to decide. Visit both again. Speak to current students.

There's no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi Samuel,

I've just checked with the Admissions office and they've said that you will be invited to an Applicant Day if you've received an offer from us. Please keep an eye on the Surrey Self-Serve portal as this is where the invitation to the Applicant Day will come through :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you very much, Ashley! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Doonesbury
You have until May to decide. Visit both again. Speak to current students.

There's no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, I need to chill out more! Thank you.
Thanks for all the info. My daughter also has offers from Kent and Surrey and we are torn as both are great offers. Both course are equally good although I personally prefer the industrial placement offered at Surrey. We know Kent as my parents are there and it’s familiar territory for my daughter as we live in Greece and unfortunately have not had the opportunity with the pandemic to visit Surrey. My question is whether if she accepts Kent which I feel she is likely to do as it’s a safe bet, would she be able to change or transfer from Kent to Surrey later?

Latest