The Student Room Group

Obsessive daydreaming?

Since I was a child I have had a very vivid imagination. I didn't have many friends so I'd create fantasy stories where I moved around in the real world "seeing" a fake world around me. I was still aware of the real world and I wasn't hallucinating but the stories I created felt real.

I'm now in my twenties and I still have these weird fantasy stories/obsessive daydreams. I don't tend to act them out, but rather I think about them. I find time to sit and zone out and play out the stories in my head. The characters have lives and personalities. The same story will play out for years sometimes. Sometimes I randomly get urges to play out more of the daydream.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I never thought it was weird until it started to feel so time consuming.
i have the same thing. recently for the past couple of years i created my own fantasy universe, hopefully i can type it down and make a novel out of it.
Reply 2
Original post by Volibear
I do this too and I love and hate it. Love it because my imagination is still there and hasn't been rotted by the modern, digital world we live in, hate it because I spend so much time procrastinating. Also, when it comes to imagining interactions with people, I've realised that it's an indication of how lonely I am :frown:

Yes I often imagine scenarios between people I know and then I have a hard time determining which interactions were real and which were fake. When I have them with fake made up people I can recognise they aren't real.
I am struggling with severe depression because of this. My girlfriend was going to boarding school, and all I have ever dreamed about is a future with her. I obsessed to the every detail, blocked out any flaws in us. She asked me to marry her, and despite being young, I was impulse by my fantasies because the truth was too much. We got rings, I told my parents, and we were so perfect. I loved her so much. Two weeks into boarding school, she broke up with me. Told me those promises were a lie, and told me that she never wanted to see me again. She could never tell me what I had done wrong. She was the woman of my dreams and I lost her for dreaming too much.
I remember reading about maladaptive daydreaming. Is this what you do?
Reply 5
Yes I've read about this, and this is essentially what I do. I sometimes zone out and daydream out of my own control, but usually I am consciously aware of it, and I make time for it in my life. I go to bed a little earlier to "daydream" before going to sleep - playing out part of a long running story, with complex characters and plots. Somehow I don't even forget the plots and characters.

Other times, I will daydream about real people and events that I either want to happen or feel may happen - like say preparing for an interview. But sometimes I struggle to tell after if it was a daydream or a memory. I once felt very annoyed at someone for weeks before recalling that the events I remembered were in fact a daydream.

Quick Reply

Latest