The Student Room Group

Tesco christmas advert features Muslims celebrating it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88
As a Pagan I'm offended that the Christians appropriated my religious festival.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Original post by yungaheartz
If atheists can celebrate it then why can't Muslims?

Pagan? 😥
Anyway I was gonna say what these two said: Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday lol it's (are you ready?) a cash cow for businesses. That's literally it. Everything about Christmas is unfortunately non Christian 😇 but I won't get into that further.
Original post by Salt Queen
Pagan? 😥
Anyway I was gonna say what these two said: Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday lol it's (are you ready?) a cash cow for businesses. That's literally it. Everything about Christmas is unfortunately non Christian 😇 but I won't get into that further.

I'm an atheist really but yeah, lol. It's a good excuse to eat and drink a lot though and visit family.
I'm an atheist really but yeah, lol. It's a good excuse to eat and drink a lot though and visit family.

I'm a

Spoiler

Christian 🙏😙 and yea I wish I had the energy/care to debate Christmas/Christianity on tsr lol

Why the **** do we need an excuse for enjoying ourselves.
No it’s completely different to the Eid scenario. It’s like Christians in a Muslim country celebrating eid. The uk is a typically Christian country. People adapt to the place they live. Christmas is a fun time that brings people together. What’s the problem with it?
And Santa isn’t even part of the Christian religion so I would hardly agree that Christmas belongs to them
Original post by A'OK
You mean the hijab wasn't a big enough give away lol?

You don't have to be Muslim to decide to wear a hijab.

I celebrate Christmas. I am not a Christian. Not all brown people are Muslims.
The vast majority of strict Muslims don't celebrate it, but some of the more relaxed ones do (like some of my family members). Why not feature them?
Original post by closethedoor
And Santa isn’t even part of the Christian religion so I would hardly agree that Christmas belongs to them

He's actually derived from a Christian saint but I agree that anyone who wants to participate should be welcome. It a cultural thing rather than religious for most Brits(myself included) these days anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

The religious wackos who are so outraged should consult the "do unto others" part of the Bible.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mojojojo101
Why the **** do we need an excuse for enjoying ourselves.

Ha ha, true. We can't gorge like that all the time though or we'd all be in an early grave from diabetes and liver failure.
Political correctness is a mental illness.
The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves
Reply 32
Original post by karanight
The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves

So basically Tesco has upset the lunatic brotherhood of the far-right and fundamentalist Muslims. Well played.
Such a non issue. Majority of Muslims I personally know celebrate Christmas, as do my family :dontknow:
lol who cares
Original post by Ascend
So basically Tesco has upset the lunatic brotherhood of the far-right and fundamentalist Muslims. Well played.
tesco have offended people of all political leanings. I've just got back from a night at the pub and out everyone that was there, only one felt that Tesco did no wrong. Why the hell include the 'faith' in what is essentially a Christian celebration. As for Christmas being pagan is another argument altogether
Original post by A'OK
It's caused some controversy as people know Muslims don't celebrate christmas so why feature Muslims? It's like featuring Christians celebrating Eid... So stupid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-christmas-advert-2017-muslim-family-feature-twitter-christian-feeling-a8046396.html

It’s nothing like Christians celebrating Eid. Christmas is as much a cultural celebration as it is a religious one now. It’s so funny how people moan that foreign populations don’t culturally assimilate then criticise the idea of it happening
Reply 37
They're not celebrating it as a religious festival. They're just enjoying the pigs in blankets and a right old piss-up.
Atheists celebrate Christmas. Why shouldn't anyone else?
I'm muslims and I've been invited and went to many christmas parties/dinners
I've also invited my non muslim friends at eid

what's the issue?
get out of your gutter and see the real world- we don't live in tribes anymore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending