The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rohan77642
How did you perform in the MAT?
Do you know how important MAT scores are in accordance to A level predictions.
Any help is appreciated

I don't know how I performed tbh as I didn't get my grade. Tbf I think I did quite great, except a long exercise that I didn't even do lel (I mean just the 1st question).

For British applicants MAT counts a lot, maybe a little bit below than A-levels predictions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by PMC01234
Imperial takes into account applications by "cycles" and they select people from these cycles and reject others. Generally, the people falling in the first cycles is quite random, though those who applied early normally have an answer earlier than others. I personally applied the 14th October and got an offer on 3rd November (no interviews in maths) but I know ppl who got rejected only 2 weeks after sending their application and others who got an interview in January/February (when applied between September and December).

Tbh, it's better to wait than being rejected! ;-)

Hi, I applied to BEng Computing (3 years) with A*A*AA prediction (Maths, further maths, physics & computer science respectively.) and I achieved AA in AS maths and further maths.
I took the online admission test on 26th and I’ve probably got 7/8 or 8/8 but not sure.
Do I stand a chance to get offer from Imperial? Also is it true that the majority of computing applicants who got interview will get the offer??
Original post by Katy Kim
Hi, I applied to BEng Computing (3 years) with A*A*AA prediction (Maths, further maths, physics & computer science respectively.) and I achieved AA in AS maths and further maths.
I took the online admission test on 26th and I’ve probably got 7/8 or 8/8 but not sure.
Do I stand a chance to get offer from Imperial? Also is it true that the majority of computing applicants who got interview will get the offer??

You should be fine :biggrin: generally in Computing they interview interesting applicants and during these interviews they reject those who really screwed it up
You should be fine :biggrin: generally in Computing they interview interesting applicants and during these interviews they reject those who really screwed it up

Hey, I applied for MEng Computing on the 12th October. My A-Level predicted grades are A*A*A*A + B in maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and EPQ respectively. I achieved AA in AS maths and further maths.

I did the computing admissions test on the 23rd of October and I don't think I did very well - probably around 6/8. I haven't had an interview offer whereas it seems many people have, even the ones who took their admissions test on the 1st of November. Is it likely that I'm going to be rejected?
I can't say really, but I would suspect that you should have an answer before January. Nonetheless, if you don't have any answer in January that can also be good as that means you pass every cycle without being rejected.

Thanks a lot!!!
I really wanna get into imperial. you have boosted my confidence thanks a lot.
I can't say really, but I would suspect that you should have an answer before January. Nonetheless, if you don't have any answer in January that can also be good as that means you pass every cycle without being rejected.

Hello,
I've encountered a problem with my application.
So I wrote my IGCSE ICT in October 2016, but mistakenly wrote as May 2016 in UCAS. will it affect my application?

Thanks for your answer!!
Hi! I am currently taking a gap year and have applied for Biomedical Engineering at imperial! I have A*A*A*A in maths, chemistry, biology and physics! I got an interview invite for december 6th. Does anyone know how bioengineering itnerviews are? What are the chances of getting an offer for those invited to interviews? Do you think that they are intereseted in me as a prospective student since i have already obtained all my final grades? please let me know!
Also, what are interviews like?I heard there is a group activity, not really sure what it is about.
I don't know how I performed tbh as I didn't get my grade. Tbf I think I did quite great, except a long exercise that I didn't even do lel (I mean just the 1st question).

For British applicants MAT counts a lot, maybe a little bit below than A-levels predictions.

So would you say that if I have very strong predictions (predicted IB 44/45) but a little weak MAT score (estimating something like 56 - 60) do I stand a chance of getting an offer?

Sorry for annoying you so much, but you are the only imperial math student I have found so I wanted to ask these questions. :smile:
Original post by wwwaaarrr
Hi! I am currently taking a gap year and have applied for Biomedical Engineering at imperial! I have A*A*A*A in maths, chemistry, biology and physics! I got an interview invite for december 6th. Does anyone know how bioengineering itnerviews are? What are the chances of getting an offer for those invited to interviews? Do you think that they are intereseted in me as a prospective student since i have already obtained all my final grades? please let me know!
Also, what are interviews like?I heard there is a group activity, not really sure what it is about.

Hey! Can't really help you because I'm also a prospective student! I'm also applying to biomed eng and will be at the interview on 6th December, see you there!
Original post by alpegu006
Hey! Can't really help you because I'm also a prospective student! I'm also applying to biomed eng and will be at the interview on 6th December, see you there!

Hey! That sounds great!! Where are you from / what are your predictions (if taking or ib, if not your country's predictions lool)
Is imperial your first choice? how are you preparing for the interview?
Hey! That sounds great!! Where are you from / what are your predictions (if taking or ib, if not your country's predictions lool)
Is imperial your first choice? how are you preparing for the interview?

I'm Spanish but I'm taking A Levels. My AS results are 6As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish and French. Predicted, in same order: A*A*A*A*A*A

Right now I'm between Imperial and Glasgow, second year entry with A*A*A (Imperial is probably superior but Glasgow would be free for me, EU student, plus life in Glasgow is cheaper. I'm hoping the interview helps me decide whether I prefer Imperial)

I applied to Oxford but I don't really like their engineering course for biomed, so even if they ignore my awful PAT score and offer me an interview or place, I'll prob end up going to Imperial or Glasgow.

I haven't started preparing for the interview yet but I'll go over my PS and keep informed about my subject, might stalk some professors online to see what they're working on hahaha
I'm Spanish but I'm taking A Levels. My AS results are 6As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish and French. Predicted, in same order: A*A*A*A*A*A

Right now I'm between Imperial and Glasgow, second year entry with A*A*A (Imperial is probably superior but Glasgow would be free for me, EU student, plus life in Glasgow is cheaper. I'm hoping the interview helps me decide whether I prefer Imperial)

I applied to Oxford but I don't really like their engineering course for biomed, so even if they ignore my awful PAT score and offer me an interview or place, I'll prob end up going to Imperial or Glasgow.

I haven't started preparing for the interview yet but I'll go over my PS and keep informed about my subject, might stalk some professors online to see what they're working on hahaha

That sounds great! I did not apply to Glasgow but it is a great uni and amazing for biomed eng. are you second year entry for both imperial and glasgow or only for glasgow? where are you from spain? i lived there for two years when i was a kid. It is really cool tbh. As for the interview, do you already know who your interviewer is? also, did you get any update on ucas regarding the interview?
i applied to oxford too, i found the pat really hard as well, but hopefully since i have already obtained my final grades they will still consider me... good luck though!! also, what did you write about in your ps in terms of biomedical engineering that you think sets you apart? a friend of mine told me they asked her that in her interview for materials at imperia
hello guyss,

i got 5 A's and 6 B's in GCSE and i have applied for biochemistry. my predicted grades are A* AA in chemistry biology and psychology. do you think i have a chance of getting in as i dont think my GCSE's are too strong
That sounds great! I did not apply to Glasgow but it is a great uni and amazing for biomed eng. are you second year entry for both imperial and glasgow or only for glasgow? where are you from spain? i lived there for two years when i was a kid. It is really cool tbh. As for the interview, do you already know who your interviewer is? also, did you get any update on ucas regarding the interview?
i applied to oxford too, i found the pat really hard as well, but hopefully since i have already obtained my final grades they will still consider me... good luck though!! also, what did you write about in your ps in terms of biomedical engineering that you think sets you apart? a friend of mine told me they asked her that in her interview for materials at imperia

Do you happen to know somebody at Glasgow uni? What makes you say it's amazing for biomed eng? (I'm genuinely interested, I'll take any piece of advice or info I can get tbh)

As far as I know, you can only apply for 2nd year entry at Scottish unis, because their degrees are usually one year longer than at UK unis, so it's just for Glasgow. Where did you live in Spain? Where are you actually from? I'm from Valencia, but when I was ten I spent half a year in a small English village in Dorset, which was awesome!

I haven't really checked UCAS since I usually get notifications when something changes, and I have no idea of who my interviewer will be. Do you know yours? How can I find out about mine?

The only strictly biomedical engineering thing I wrote about on my PS is that I led a team last year which designed an affordable exoskeleton for the disabled. We won a prize awarded by a university in Valencia and were invited to several interviews. I was also invited to some research experiments with a cardiovascular research group which were really cool. Everyrhing else is either maths-related or generic edX courses and similar. How about you?
Do you happen to know somebody at Glasgow uni? What makes you say it's amazing for biomed eng? (I'm genuinely interested, I'll take any piece of advice or info I can get tbh)

As far as I know, you can only apply for 2nd year entry at Scottish unis, because their degrees are usually one year longer than at UK unis, so it's just for Glasgow. Where did you live in Spain? Where are you actually from? I'm from Valencia, but when I was ten I spent half a year in a small English village in Dorset, which was awesome!

I haven't really checked UCAS since I usually get notifications when something changes, and I have no idea of who my interviewer will be. Do you know yours? How can I find out about mine?

The only strictly biomedical engineering thing I wrote about on my PS is that I led a team last year which designed an affordable exoskeleton for the disabled. We won a prize awarded by a university in Valencia and were invited to several interviews. I was also invited to some research experiments with a cardiovascular research group which were really cool. Everyrhing else is either maths-related or generic edX courses and similar. How about you?

Actually, I do know someone at glasgow uni! She is studying mechanical engineering but she told me that the approeach the uni has taken to biomedical enigneering is very innovative and research focused. Also, student satisfaction is very high and the campus is gorgeus!! I definitily regret not applying to glasgow tbh.
I lived in malaga in andalucia, but i love valencia (visited a couple of times). I do not know my interviewer, just wondering if anyone knew since i heard that they would notifiy us. Also, which college did you apply to in oxford?
Your research sounds really interesting, they will definitely ask about it in your interview!!
Actually, I do know someone at glasgow uni! She is studying mechanical engineering but she told me that the approeach the uni has taken to biomedical enigneering is very innovative and research focused. Also, student satisfaction is very high and the campus is gorgeus!! I definitily regret not applying to glasgow tbh.
I lived in malaga in andalucia, but i love valencia (visited a couple of times). I do not know my interviewer, just wondering if anyone knew since i heard that they would notifiy us. Also, which college did you apply to in oxford?
Your research sounds really interesting, they will definitely ask about it in your interview!!

Yeah, Glasgow uni's campus is absolutely beautiful!! I knew about student satisfaction but it's good to know about their course which I really like as well. Maybe we'll be notified a week before so we can't stalk them too much hahaha.

I applied to Balliol college, didn't give it much thought but it seemed like a nice big college with history. You?
Reply 497

Hii! Check out the following site: whatdotheyknow.com and search Biomedical Engineering at Imperial College. They've got official responses for questions like your's from a member of the Imperial Team.
Original post by meghantheman
Hii! Check out the following site: whatdotheyknow.com and search Biomedical Engineering at Imperial College. They've got official responses for questions like your's from a member of the Imperial Team.

Thanks! I will!
Reply 499
Does anyone else have an interview for Materials science on the 30th of November? And if so how are you preparing for it?

Latest

Trending

Trending