The Student Room Group

I cant write my personal statement

Its so hard because I need it to be perfect and I just can't think of anything good which is really putting me off. Like its so important and I just cant think. I've been writing ideas now and again and they're completely rubbish, like I just can't think
What ideas do you have already? Also, do you know what subject you want to apply for?

I would brainstorm:
- about why you want to do your subject and maybe a little about what you hope to do with it
- anything you do to encourage your interest in this subject (for example, relevant work experience, wider reading, online courses)
- your personal qualities
- any extra-curricular activities
- any specific achievements in or outside of school

Once you have done this, you have the framework, it is just a matter of putting it together. You might also want to read this from UCAS for more information about personal statements. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/when-apply/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-personal-statement
Exaggerate your achievements. Try and link anything to what you're applying for. For example if you did work experience at school talk about how it taught you teamwork and communication skills which will be useful when you do group work at uni. Even if the work experience was compulsory make it out as if you volunteered to do it. If you helped around at school for example helping in younger classes or helping make the yearbook or set up a sports day or charity event talk about that too. The hardest part is always starting off. Do NOT start with "I have wanted to be an engineer since I was a child" or whatever you're applying for admission tutors know that's bs. I started mine off with "The moment I knew I wanted to be an engineer was when I volunteered for a mechanical engineering work experience in June 2014" and then I went on to talk about why I found it valuable and what I did and what I learned and how I learned more about engineering from the employees there. Talk about how what you are studying at school links with what you are applying for. I had no idea how to structure it just like you but I googled stuff to write about and UCAS actually have a personal statement builder on their website. A good website I used was "Which?"

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/10-things-to-put-in-your-personal-statement
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/personal-statements-the-killer-opening

The above 2 websites helped me a lot. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Solbusiness
I have not even had the chance to begin writing it yet. Also I think its the grade that really matters not some statement you can ask your grandfather to do.

The statement really does matter mate. Universities want to have students who show a real interest in the course and make an effort outside of just their academic studies. They want to know more about you as a person not just what grades you have. Meeting the entry requirements doesn't guarantee you an offer there will be thousands of applicants, hundreds with similar grades as you but only a limited number of places so the way they decide who to offer a place to comes down to personal statement.
Reply 4
Original post by Unknown-99
Exaggerate your achievements. Try and link anything to what you're applying for. For example if you did work experience at school talk about how it taught you teamwork and communication skills which will be useful when you do group work at uni. Even if the work experience was compulsory make it out as if you volunteered to do it. If you helped around at school for example helping in younger classes or helping make the yearbook or set up a sports day or charity event talk about that too. The hardest part is always starting off. Do NOT start with "I have wanted to be an engineer since I was a child" or whatever you're applying for admission tutors know that's bs. I started mine off with "The moment I knew I wanted to be an engineer was when I volunteered for a mechanical engineering work experience in June 2014" and then I went on to talk about why I found it valuable and what I did and what I learned and how I learned more about engineering from the employees there. Talk about how what you are studying at school links with what you are applying for. I had no idea how to structure it just like you but I googled stuff to write about and UCAS actually have a personal statement builder on their website. A good website I used was "Which?"

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/10-things-to-put-in-your-personal-statement
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/personal-statements-the-killer-opening

The above 2 websites helped me a lot. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much!!!!
Original post by Solbusiness
I have not even had the chance to begin writing it yet. Also I think its the grade that really matters not some statement you can ask your grandfather to do.

Omggg deadd :biggrin:. U made a valid point tho.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest