Reply 3
Original post by OwlOfFire
York is the best and Sussex is good.
The others aren't that great in terms of reputation

Is reading is not good?it demands higher grade than Sussex
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
Is reading is not good?it demands higher grade than Sussex

I would not rate Reading as a good university Sussex was rated 8th and Reading 49th for the biological science category.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Biological+Sciences
Reading is fine - it tends to be underrated somewhat however, as you can see.

Hull is fairly mid-tier, Manchester Met is a fairly new university and tends to not be rated as highly in academic terms. I would suggest considering the nature of these courses - some BMS courses are designed to lead into the NHS BMS Trainee programme, while others are more traditional academic courses, typically to prepare for graduate research or to go into other related areas (for example, GEM).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Reading is fine - it tends to be underrated somewhat however, as you can see.

Hull is fairly mid-tier, Manchester Met is a fairly new university and tends to not be rated as highly in academic terms. I would suggest considering the nature of these courses - some BMS courses are designed to lead into the NHS BMS Trainee programme, while others are more traditional academic courses, typically to prepare for graduate research or to go into other related areas (for example, GEM).

so if I studied at a university that prepares for NHS trainee program then I cant go in research?
Original post by Qer
so if I studied at a university that prepares for NHS trainee program then I cant go in research?

You can - I realise my response was perhaps worded a little loosely and implied this wasn't possible - but you may not be as well prepared for it, as the programme is primarily preparing for the profession of biomedical scientist as it exists in the NHS. You would probably be slightly better prepared for lab work and maybe slightly weaker on fundamental research and background.

It is possible to go in either route from either side, however bear in mind that the two styles have ostensibly different aims and objectives for their graduates, and accommodate that in your decision making. It may be more difficult to go into one from the other (typically going from an academic BMS programme in to the NHS BMS training programme I gather is much more challenging) but it's not impossible by any stretch.
Reply 8
You can - I realise my response was perhaps worded a little loosely and implied this wasn't possible - but you may not be as well prepared for it, as the programme is primarily preparing for the profession of biomedical scientist as it exists in the NHS. You would probably be slightly better prepared for lab work and maybe slightly weaker on fundamental research and background.

It is possible to go in either route from either side, however bear in mind that the two styles have ostensibly different aims and objectives for their graduates, and accommodate that in your decision making. It may be more difficult to go into one from the other (typically going from an academic BMS programme in to the NHS BMS training programme I gather is much more challenging) but it's not impossible by any stretch.

that's fine

Should I need to change any uni? as you can see that i have chosen universities from the top, middle and bottom (if you compare from league table ) My predicted are AAA but i am afraid that I cant be able to achieve them and i didn't want to take the risk .

I am working hard and it all depends upon my final result. like if i get AAA then i will go york, and if i get AAB then go Sussex and things can be worst (hope that doesn't happen with me ) but if i get BCC then York will not accept me so that's why I choose Manchester metropolitan etc

and my friends those who are predicted lower than me are all applying to all good universities and when i tell them i am applying here so they all laugh at me bcos of my choices .....
what should i do???
Original post by Qer
that's fine

Should I need to change any uni? as you can see that i have chosen universities from the top, middle and bottom (if you compare from league table ) My predicted are AAA but i am afraid that I cant be able to achieve them and i didn't want to take the risk .

I am working hard and it all depends upon my final result. like if i get AAA then i will go york, and if i get AAB then go Sussex and things can be worst (hope that doesn't happen with me ) but if i get BCC then York will not accept me so that's why I choose Manchester metropolitan etc

and my friends those who are predicted lower than me are all applying to all good universities and when i tell them i am applying here so they all laugh at me bcos of my choices .....
what should i do???

I highly doubt you will drop 5 grades from your predicted grades. Additionally, Manchester Met are commonly in clearing - I would recommend swapping this for another, unless you are really attached to the university specifically.

There's a difference between being pragmatic in selecting a backup/"safety" choice, and being overly pessimistic of your own abilities. I would suggest an ABB or possibly BBB course would be suitable for a backup choice and choosing other AAA or AAB courses you're interested in as the primary set of options.
Reply 10
I highly doubt you will drop 5 grades from your predicted grades. Additionally, Manchester Met are commonly in clearing - I would recommend swapping this for another, unless you are really attached to the university specifically.

There's a difference between being pragmatic in selecting a backup/"safety" choice, and being overly pessimistic of your own abilities. I would suggest an ABB or possibly BBB course would be suitable for a backup choice and choosing other AAA or AAB courses you're interested in as the primary set of options.

so should i only need to swap Manchester metropolitan.....rest are ok???

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
so should i only need to swap Manchester metropolitan.....rest are ok???

Spoiler

You might want to consider "upgrading" Hull, unless you really like the university in particular.

If you are taking, presumably, Biology and Chemistry and predicted AAA, and are interested in human health and disease, is there a reason you're not considering medicine?
Reply 12
You might want to consider "upgrading" Hull, unless you really like the university in particular.

If you are taking, presumably, Biology and Chemistry and predicted AAA, and are interested in human health and disease, is there a reason you're not considering medicine?

To be honest, I really wanted to go Medicine But I not applied for the only reason that I am afraid that i cant be able to get AAA as they are only predicted and i also MISSED deadline for that.....

Spoiler

Reply 13

i think Hull is fine
Original post by Qer
To be honest, I really wanted to go Medicine But I not applied for the only reason that I am afraid that i cant be able to get AAA as they are only predicted and i also MISSED deadline for that.....

Spoiler

Honestly you'd be better off taking a gap year and applying to medicine then...I don't know where this crippling fear you have of not making you predictions comes from, but in general teachers don't over predict significantly...and it's extremely unlikely you'd get less than AAB worst case scenario. It's very possible you'll exceed those grades (and you should try as well).
Reply 15
Honestly you'd be better off taking a gap year and applying to medicine then...I don't know where this crippling fear you have of not making you predictions comes from, but in general teachers don't over predict significantly...and it's extremely unlikely you'd get less than AAB worst case scenario. It's very possible you'll exceed those grades (and you should try as well).

I also talk with my teachers about it and they also said that they will be surprised if i get less than AAB .and i am thinking to take gap year only if in a case i get AAA or AAB but
I am still applying to universities this year. if I get AAA then I will not go any uni and wait for next year to apply for medicine
Reply 16

thanks for support
Reply 17
you gave me new energy lol
a set my mind to exceed my predicted grades ...i try my best to get grades ....if i get it then..... ... i will take a gap year ...and apply for Medicine that i really want
Reply 18
:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending